The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 26, 2006, 08:54am
Official Forum Member

RANT ON

ASA Logos..

On EVERYTHING.

If there were ASA underwear, half this board and the umps I work with would run out and buy them.

ARe you kidding me?

Why must ASA Logo be on everything.

I had a UIC at a tourney ask me why I didnt have an ASA ball bag.

OK, My hat has ASA, my shirt has ASA... Im pretty sure everyone at the tourney grasps the fact that we are ASA..

But ASA makes us into their walking neon sign with their lame insistance on LOGOs on everything.

I made up for the fact I dont have a lame ASA ball bag by pulling out my ASA line up holder .

And guys, ASA socks are for slow pitch.
When a FP umpire is changing and I see they are wearing ASA socks.. I just shake my head. He needs a slap.

ASA underwear coming soon.. pre order your set today.. you know you want some, especially you mike.

rant off
Old Wed Jul 26, 2006, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

My thoughts, not that you care....

I like the powder over navy look. I think it looks really sharp.

That being said, I have no problem wearing the various other combinations. I like the Dark blue over gray, but really like the powder blue over gray. But I think the navy blue ball bags look really good with this combination.

I like the gray because they don't show the dirt as much as the navy blue pants. But the gray really look bad when I sweat (which is all the time). I did a game last year here in Indiana where it was a normal summer afternoon (92 degrees, 99 percent humidity) and by the end of the game my pants were wet down to my knees...disgusting I know.

For my national we are wearing gray pants and powder blue shirts. But I'm taking the others just in case.
Old Wed Jul 26, 2006, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

What is the definition of "uniform"?

All the choices only costs $$$ because have to buy them all so the umpiring crew is wearing the same uniform.

Do football, basketball, etc. referees get a choice of color?

This fashion-industry uniform racket only seems to apply to diamond sports.

It is bad enough I have to buy different shirts for the different associations, but to have to buy 2 or 3 different shirts for EACH one?? Makes me long for the Elbeco days (well, almost).

BTW, we are all heather gray here all the time... all associations, daylight and under the lights. Don't give anyone ideas, OK?
Old Wed Jul 26, 2006, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

Excellent post wade.

Minneapolis ASA wears powder blue and navy pants almost always. St. Paul allows either combination.

The other ASA organization here is powder blue and gray but they have their own shirt. The by a powder blue shirt with a left chest pocket and then put the organizations emblem on the right chest area. it looks incredibly stupid and unbalanced but that will soon end because ASA is dying here. AFA and USSSA are taking over in terms of numbers.

AFA wears gray/slate or gray/gray/ or black/gray.

Basketball officials have the choice of either traditional wear of the new grayish shirt (byt that shirt has not been apporved fully yet).

Baseball here has many choices. Football still wears the same traditional uniform.

Last edited by blu_bawls; Wed Jul 26, 2006 at 09:46am.
Old Wed Jul 26, 2006, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

Other stuff...

When I do local leagues, often we mix and match, meaning for the first game we will wear powder blue/gray and the second powder blue/navy. Or we might wear powder blue/gray and then navy blue/gray.

I've worn red/navy as a solo crew before...looked really sharp!

Football? Some groups wear the traditional. Others choose to wear traditional for varsity games, White shorts for JV, Black shorts for Jr. High...but then again, they have short sleeve and long sleeve shirts, collared or no collar, etc. Some groups wear traditional socks, others black socks/white socks. Some wear specific association hats, etc.

You get my point.
Old Wed Jul 26, 2006, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azbigdawg
I wish I knew who made that "choice" It is the WORST possible uniform combination possible.....ridiculous..... if youre gonna wear the stupid grey..wear it with the DARK blue... ridiculous
To clarify...we did not wear the navy shirt with the navy pants at any time.

It was either powder over navy or navy over grey.

This happened before you came on the staff, Darrell.
Old Wed Jul 26, 2006, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Looking fashionable/cute/sharp is meaningless.
Uniformity/cleanliness/neatness/professional is meaningful.
Imitating MLB is as useless as imitating NFL/NBA/MLS.

No reason for logos either, just a plain shirt and plain trousers and plain ball bag and plain cap and plain jacket and plain shoes in whatever color combo it would be. Just the same uniform for all sanctions, all leagues, all tournaments, etc.

The guiding principles should be enabling each umpire to have a full uniforms for whatever they work, multiples if needed, at the least practical cost.

Last edited by CecilOne; Wed Jul 26, 2006 at 01:23pm.
Old Wed Jul 26, 2006, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Hijacking the thread

I once knew a lady named Jean I happened to see her at church one night and said, "Hi Jean." Then I thought about the word Hygene and I said, "I bet you hate that." Then, she said, "It's better than Hijack."

Does anyone here do NSA White shirt with black pants? I will be doing NSA this fall and was wondering where to get the stuff.

Softball in the Bible
"In the big-inning"

Last edited by tcblue13; Wed Jul 26, 2006 at 01:12pm.
Old Wed Jul 26, 2006, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

Opinions are like a$$holes; everyone has one, and believes everyone else's stink!! Well, here's mine.

In our area, ASA isn't remotely the only association, but it is considered the one with the best umpires. The teams expect a certain level of professionalism and expertise, and compare others to ASA as the level to be attained. In that light, we believe it is important that ASA umpires stand out with a standard (uniform) uniform. Our standard is the original ASA standard; powder blue with navy blue. Powder with gray is acceptable, but it so everyone else. We generally only use the dark blue top with gray on championship days, to give a special atmosphere to those games.

We don't want to be like "all the others". We want to be clearly distinguished by the uniform we wear; and it seems to work here. Powder and navy means ASA; and that is considered the best.
Old Thu Jul 27, 2006, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

Re: NSA uniforms.

The NSA nationals are presently being held in my home city, Columbus, Ohio. This week-long event features 374 teams and all games are held in one location, the 32 diamond Berliner Sports Complex.

That's a lot of teams, a lot of diamonds, a lot of games and it all takes a lot of umpires! Kind of makes me wish that I had decided to pay the $35 fee to become NSA-registered earlier this spring. At the time, I didn't anticipate calling any NSA sanctioned games this summer, so I passed on paying the fee. It would be great to be calling games in this huge tournament atmosphere.

I stopped in to watch a few games last night. Of the dozen or so umpires I saw, each was wearing heather grey pants with the white NSA polo shirts. I'm not sure if they've chucked the black pants altogether- they don't sound like much fun in 90 degree, high-humidity weather- or if the grey pants are considered optional.

I do have one of the white NSA shirts in my "collection". I bought a like-new one on eBay last year for eight bucks! The shirts are cool and comfortable.

All the NSA umpire gear is available for sale at their website.

Last edited by BretMan; Thu Jul 27, 2006 at 09:22am.
Old Thu Jul 27, 2006, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy
To clarify...we did not wear the navy shirt with the navy pants at any time.

It was either powder over navy or navy over grey.

This happened before you came on the staff, Darrell.

I knew WHEN it happened..I just want to know who to kill for the stupid, devisive decision...... but at least were not wearing that RIDICULOUS red....
Old Thu Jul 27, 2006, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan
Re: NSA uniforms.

The NSA nationals are presently being held in my home city, Columbus, Ohio. This week-long event features 374 teams and all games are held in one location, the 32 diamond Berliner Sports Complex.

That's a lot of teams, a lot of diamonds, a lot of games and it all takes a lot of umpires! Kind of makes me wish that I had decided to pay the $35 fee to become NSA-registered earlier this spring. At the time, I didn't anticipate calling any NSA sanctioned games this summer, so I passed on paying the fee. It would be great to be calling games in this huge tournament atmosphere.

I stopped in to watch a few games last night. Of the dozen or so umpires I saw, each was wearing heather grey pants with the white NSA polo shirts. I'm not sure if they've chucked the black pants altogether- they don't sound like much fun in 90 degree, high-humidity weather- or if the grey pants are considered optional.

I do have one of the white NSA shirts in my "collection". I bought a like-new one on eBay last year for eight bucks! The shirts are cool and comfortable.

All the NSA umpire gear is available for sale at their website.
I found the website, Thanks
The black pants are for SP; I will be doing modified but the UIC is requiring the black pants. I will find out more at the clinics like 1 or 2 man etc etc

Softball in the Bible
"In the big-inning"

Old Thu Jul 27, 2006, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcblue13
I found the website, Thanks
The black pants are for SP; I will be doing modified but the UIC is requiring the black pants. I will find out more at the clinics like 1 or 2 man etc etc

1 man? at a "national" wow....
Old Thu Jul 27, 2006, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azbigdawg
I knew WHEN it happened..I just want to know who to kill for the stupid, devisive decision...... but at least were not wearing that RIDICULOUS red....

Tell us how you REALLY feel!!

And I thought with the tagline of Blue/Gray maybe we might be talkin' Yanks/Rebs . . . was sure Mike would get into that one!
Old Thu Jul 27, 2006, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntxblue
Tell us how you REALLY feel!!

And I thought with the tagline of Blue/Gray maybe we might be talkin' Yanks/Rebs . . . was sure Mike would get into that one!
I've been on both sides of that stone wall.