The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 28, 2006, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukat
Mississippi heat is no different than Oklahoma and I would never dream of wearing shorts for a FP game. We wear them for SP but when you have to wear FP gear then shorts are a no no.

Here are our standards:
Fed - Navy/Gray Standard, Powder Blue and Red shirts allowed but still over Gray Pants

ASA - Powder Blue/Gray Pants FP, Powder Blue/ Blue Shorts SP are Standard, Navy Shirt allowed also Gray pants allowed in SP if both umps are same.
This past weekend as I said in this thread (I think), it was a heat wave with temps well over 110 .. I heard 112, 114 etc. This was FP

The UIC said we could wear shorts.

Not one single ump did it.. thankfully.

I do wear them in SP though.
Old Fri Jul 28, 2006, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem
This past weekend as I said in this thread (I think), it was a heat wave with temps well over 110 .. I heard 112, 114 etc. This was FP

The UIC said we could wear shorts.

Not one single ump did it.. thankfully.

I do wear them in SP though.

My! My! My! Are we just so taken by our professional standards that we can't dress for comfort? Years ago, my old Metro Assn, UIC, Bill Finley, told me after I asked if we could wear shorts to umpire the Men's Indian FP World Series in OKC in July, "I really don't care if you don't mind looking silly." I wore them that day and no one said anything about them and while the other umpires "looked professional" in their navy slacks, I was comfortable in the 100 degree + heat.

Last edited by OklahomaBlue; Fri Jul 28, 2006 at 04:18pm.
Old Fri Jul 28, 2006, 07:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OklahomaBlue
My! My! My! Are we just so taken by our professional standards that we can't dress for comfort? Years ago, my old Metro Assn, UIC, Bill Finley, told me after I asked if we could wear shorts to umpire the Men's Indian FP World Series in OKC in July, "I really don't care if you don't mind looking silly." I wore them that day and no one said anything about them and while the other umpires "looked professional" in their navy slacks, I was comfortable in the 100 degree + heat.

Yes.... I AM taken by my professional appearance....... and you should be too.....and you DID look silly..but hey..it was our choice........ I have found that the shorts arent that much cooler than a nice pair of pants...... but the shorts do match the clown nose better....
Old Fri Jul 28, 2006, 08:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OklahomaBlue
Well, if you dont mind looking silly and you have permission.. what more can be said?

Its pretty unreasonable to say to yourself "man I dont mind looking silly and dont care if I look proffessional, why should anyone else"
Old Fri Jul 28, 2006, 10:21pm
(Something hilarious)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW
Now why does this bother you?
Jewelry, other than a wedding band (I'm a newlywed), in my opinion, and the opinion of every other high school sport association that I work, looks unprofessional, and is unnecessary. I have (or had, for the most part) 5 holes in my two ears, and a tongue piercing. I don't wear earrings anymore, but when I started officiating (university intramurals and high shool), they all came out as a part of my getting dressed. I struggled with the rationale of this type of thing when I first started officiating, as I, at that time, had what is commonly now called a goatee, and had bleach-blonde dreadlocks that I could put back in a pony tail, and piercings were a part of my daily adornment. I quickly realized, however, that in order to be taken seriously - especially with my appearance as far younger in age than I actually was - I needed to make some changes to make the kind of impression (with evaluators, coaches, players, spectators, etc.) I wanted to on the field/court - and in order to advance to the next level. The earrings eventually went by the wayside when putting them in and out got to be a hassle (doing it 5 times a week). I got rid of the goatee when I started attending collegiate basketball camps. The dreads went during my first year as well - before I actually started working high school anything.

And yes - I'm talking about "on the field" when I say this: I cringe because it's unnecessary decoration that looks unprofessional, in my opinion - not to mention the door that is being opened for snide ridicule by the high percentage of ignorant redneck (no offense intended to anyone here) men that populate the slow pitch game that I love.

I'm all for personal adornment and decoration. I have many tattoos as well. But I would never get them where they would show while wearing any of my uniforms (other than leg stuff - but as I said - I prefer not to wear shorts whenever possible). I don't feel it belongs there. And I most certainly subscribe to the "if they can't have it, neither can you" philosophy.

Last edited by HawkeyeCubP; Fri Jul 28, 2006 at 10:27pm.
Old Sat Jul 29, 2006, 02:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCubP
Jewelry, other than a wedding band (I'm a newlywed), in my opinion, and the opinion of every other high school sport association that I work, looks unprofessional, and is unnecessary. I have (or had, for the most part) 5 holes in my two ears, and a tongue piercing. I don't wear earrings anymore, but when I started officiating (university intramurals and high shool), they all came out as a part of my getting dressed. I struggled with the rationale of this type of thing when I first started officiating, as I, at that time, had what is commonly now called a goatee, and had bleach-blonde dreadlocks that I could put back in a pony tail, and piercings were a part of my daily adornment. I quickly realized, however, that in order to be taken seriously - especially with my appearance as far younger in age than I actually was - I needed to make some changes to make the kind of impression (with evaluators, coaches, players, spectators, etc.) I wanted to on the field/court - and in order to advance to the next level. The earrings eventually went by the wayside when putting them in and out got to be a hassle (doing it 5 times a week). I got rid of the goatee when I started attending collegiate basketball camps. The dreads went during my first year as well - before I actually started working high school anything.

And yes - I'm talking about "on the field" when I say this: I cringe because it's unnecessary decoration that looks unprofessional, in my opinion - not to mention the door that is being opened for snide ridicule by the high percentage of ignorant redneck (no offense intended to anyone here) men that populate the slow pitch game that I love.

I'm all for personal adornment and decoration. I have many tattoos as well. But I would never get them where they would show while wearing any of my uniforms (other than leg stuff - but as I said - I prefer not to wear shorts whenever possible). I don't feel it belongs there. And I most certainly subscribe to the "if they can't have it, neither can you" philosophy.
Hawk,
A few things for ponderance:
- I agree that excessive ear piercings gives a less professional image. What number is excessive to you? One? Two? Five?
- Why isn't there a mention of Umpire Jewelry in ASA 3-6-F or 10-1-C? It's also not mentioned in section 1 on page 197 of the umpire's manual, either. Why do you suppose that is?
- Does your opinion change if a female umpire comes out with diamond studs earrings? If you're the UIC this weekend, and Male Ump A comes out with a small diamond stud and a small hoop in his left ear, are you going to make him take them out? How about the same with Female Ump B?
- What if the ump can't wear a wedding band, so his wedding "jewelry" is a small hoop earring?

I'm not trying to be a jerk, just playing Devil's Advocate for the sake of discussion...
Old Sat Jul 29, 2006, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

Hawkeye... I want PICTURES! I want to see you in your umpire uniform with jewelry hanging from wherever and blond dreads! Did you have an adjustable cap for your pony tail to hang out?

SRW... you won't find any RULES regarding umpire body adornments. It is a matter, as Hawkeye says, of professional appearance; of being taken seriously. It is more the total package than a technical boundary of 0, 1, 2, ... items.

You won't find a rule about wearing a watch, either. Have you ever been told by a UIC or clinician not to wear one?

And, since it is a matter of appearance, yes, there is a difference between female and male professional appearance in our society.

JMO.
Old Sat Jul 29, 2006, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
Other than a wedding band, we are not allowed jewelry in HS or College around here. It's actually something we get in writing from the clinicians. Personally, I think it detracts from the professional looks to wear an earring. That being said, I do leave my nose ring and tongue ring in because it's just so hard to get them back in once I take them out.

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Sat Jul 29, 2006, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
SRW... you won't find any RULES regarding umpire body adornments. It is a matter, as Hawkeye says, of professional appearance; of being taken seriously. It is more the total package than a technical boundary of 0, 1, 2, ... items.

You won't find a rule about wearing a watch, either. Have you ever been told by a UIC or clinician not to wear one?

And, since it is a matter of appearance, yes, there is a difference between female and male professional appearance in our society.

JMO.
That was precisely my point... Every area has their own standards as to what is acceptable and what is not when it comes to jewelry on an umpire. One person's view of what is "acceptable" may not be another's. That's why it will never be mentioned in the rulebook.
Old Sat Jul 29, 2006, 10:46pm
Official Forum Member

Does ASA wear a black patch?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ASA-Umpire-Badge...QQcmdZViewItem

Softball in the Bible
"In the big-inning"

Old Sun Jul 30, 2006, 02:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcblue13
They're really navy blue, and that's the old logo patch. I've got a few floating around somewhere.