The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 26, 2006, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Nope, that's not going to happen.
Not sure if you are agreeing or correcting. What is not going to happen?
part-time coach,
here to learn.
Old Wed Jul 26, 2006, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamMatt
Not sure if you are agreeing or correcting. What is not going to happen?
I'm saying that "Hey, batter, batter" from the opposition is not going to be considered standard fare. Talk to, direct, cheer for your teammates, but worry about your side of the game, not the opponent's.

Don't care about between pitch chatter, but when F1 is ready to go, play the game, not chat up the opponents.
Old Wed Jul 26, 2006, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCubP

I just needed lots of convincing in my mind, as it still seems to me, in some respect, that the statement I quoted from the Casebook play could/perhaps should be applied to more situations than simply the tag-up play it's being related to, as the ruling doesn't clarify itself by saying anything to the effect of "when runners are tagging up on fly balls" or offering any other clarifier.

It would be nice if this (using words typically used by an umpire) was laid out as either USC or OBS in type somewhere, specifically, for me. (I'm seeing a reoccurring theme with myself and what I want out of the rule/casebook. )

I'll take your word(s) on the subject. Just seems odd to me now. I'll give it time.

Thank you.
You can't cover every single situation in the casebook. I just don't see how you could not see this as obstruction. A player on the defense yelling "Foul" on a ball hit right down the line is akin to a basketball coach pulling out a whistle and blowing it as the other team is on a breakaway. Now, I've read the basektball rulebook and I don't remember it ever saying that a coach couldn't do this, but I'm pretty sure if it happend there would be consequences.
Old Wed Jul 26, 2006, 05:38pm
(Something hilarious)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsf23
I've read the basektball rulebook and I don't remember it ever saying that a coach couldn't do this, but I'm pretty sure if it happend there would be consequences.
That's a good analogy.
Old Thu Jul 27, 2006, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

Now I had this years ago and I'll tell it again because it takes it even further. Same sitch except when the BR turned to question my eyesight and saw me vigorously indicating fair he took off running. The right fielder on the other hand came to a stop.
BR took a wiiiiiide turn at third and thought better of it and retreated because the ball was finally making it's way to the infield. I felt that if he hadn't turned in response to the catcher's yell he would have made home and I awarded it to him. When catcher complained that the fielder stopped too I pointed out that I can only be concerned with the obstruction, I can't control what he does to a teammate. He conceded the point.