The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 13, 2006, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Leather Luster

ok, got to ask. How do you all recoat your shoes with leather luster? I have POS plate shoes and they eventually crack right where the toe support goes up to the metatarsel support. So how do you all go about recoating them? Do you strip them down to bare leather and start all over, or do you just scuff them up and put another coat on top of what is there? I have heard some say both, just wondering which works best.

Thanks,
Dave
Old Tue Jun 13, 2006, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveASA/FED
ok, got to ask. How do you all recoat your shoes with leather luster? I have POS plate shoes and they eventually crack right where the toe support goes up to the metatarsel support. So how do you all go about recoating them? Do you strip them down to bare leather and start all over, or do you just scuff them up and put another coat on top of what is there? I have heard some say both, just wondering which works best.

Thanks,
Dave
If it is cracking now, why would you want to use it again?

You will never see me using that junk on any of my shoes, I value them too much to screw with the leather.
Old Tue Jun 13, 2006, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
You will never see me using that junk on any of my shoes, I value them too much to screw with the leather.
Ordinary paste wax is the best (IMO), but a lot of work. I DO know how to do a traditional military spit shine!

Liquid wax (not leather luster) is easier to use, but will also crack, by my experience.

What do you use, Mike?
Old Tue Jun 13, 2006, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Try the KIWI liquid stuff. Wash off all the old, and wipe it on with the applicator. When it starts "crazing" hose off all the old and add new shine.
Old Tue Jun 13, 2006, 02:54pm
Official Forum Member

Dave,
I don't use LL anymore, but I did once. Try putting a small, thin line of shoe dye inside that crack.

Now, for shoes like that, I wear the patent leather hi-tops. The factory is near here, so I get blems.
Old Tue Jun 13, 2006, 04:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
Ordinary paste wax is the best (IMO), but a lot of work. I DO know how to do a traditional military spit shine!

Liquid wax (not leather luster) is easier to use, but will also crack, by my experience.

What do you use, Mike?
Usually the Kiwi Parade Gloss. Will use liquid only for a quick touch-up, but will redo with the paste when the opportunity arises.

BTW, I'm not looking for a shine, just a clean, polished shoe.
Old Sat Jun 17, 2006, 01:14am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M
Now, for shoes like that, I wear the patent leather hi-tops. The factory is near here, so I get blems.
How much do you pay for the blems??

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Sat Jun 17, 2006, 04:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer
How much do you pay for the blems??
A few years ago, hi-top blems cost $45. Last summer, they were $65.
The place is near Altoona, Pa.

Here's their web site
http://www.coveshoe.com/
Old Sat Jun 17, 2006, 06:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
A few years ago, hi-top blems cost $45. Last summer, they were $65.
The place is near Altoona, Pa.

Here's their web site
http://www.coveshoe.com/
I paid $99 for my spotbilts - I love em. I keep my old ones with Leather Luster for rainy days though. We have a guy here that puts the Leather Luster on and actually has a kiln he built to bake the Leather Luster onto the shoe and my old plate shoes still look great - just not as great as my patent leathers.

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Sun Jun 18, 2006, 08:21am
Official Forum Member

As an umpire and UIC, I do not get impressed with shoes and belts treated with this product. It's fine and dandy if you are marching in a parade or putting on a show for someone. As an umpire, it doesn't improve you performance and, if anything, only draws attention to you and that is not an umpire's purpose on the field.

Give me a good, clean polished shoe and you're fine.
Old Sun Jun 18, 2006, 08:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
As an umpire and UIC, I do not get impressed with shoes and belts treated with this product. It's fine and dandy if you are marching in a parade or putting on a show for someone. As an umpire, it doesn't improve you performance and, if anything, only draws attention to you and that is not an umpire's purpose on the field.

Give me a good, clean polished shoe and you're fine.
Mike,
I understand that. They reason I do like them is that they are SO easy to clean. Spray them with water, dry them, wear them onto the field. Regular leather shoes take a lot more to keep looking cleaned.

What I have been doing with my regular shoes is to put a really good coat of polish on them a couple of times a month. This takes a couple of hours. Then, in between games, I'll clean them with water, wipe them down with armor-all, then dry & buff them. They do look good, but we're talking about more time & effort on my part. So, when patent leather or leather lustered shoes are acceptable, I'll use them.
Old Sun Jun 18, 2006, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Mike,
I understand that. They reason I do like them is that they are SO easy to clean. Spray them with water, dry them, wear them onto the field. Regular leather shoes take a lot more to keep looking cleaned.

What I have been doing with my regular shoes is to put a really good coat of polish on them a couple of times a month. This takes a couple of hours. Then, in between games, I'll clean them with water, wipe them down with armor-all, then dry & buff them. They do look good, but we're talking about more time & effort on my part. So, when patent leather or leather lustered shoes are acceptable, I'll use them.
To start, patents and those coated with Leather Lustre or similar product are bad for one's feet. In both cases, the pores of the leather are blocked which means the shoe doesn't breath.

I give my shoes a decent coat of wax once a season. I have two brushes, one soft (horse hair), one with stiff bristles (boar). Coming off the field, I use the hard brush to clear the dirt/dust. With an application brush, I place a sparing amount of wax on the entire shoe and edge of the sole and then buff with soft brush. This process takes no more than five minutes. No water, no rags, no problems. Shoe never needs to be stripped because there is no build up due to the constant brushing. I have never had to replace a pair of shoes due to issues with the upper leather. Of course, this doesn't apply to the care of "rain" shoes.

Nonetheless, to each their own. If you do not perspire or never had an athlete's foot issue, go for it. Guess I just don't care for "flashy" in an umpire. Personally, I prefer natural leather uppers.
Old Sun Jun 18, 2006, 07:50pm
Official Forum Member

Wearing patent leather shoes does not help my judgement one bit - you are absolutely correct. It does, however, make me look more professional when I walk onto the field. Just like having my pants dry-cleaned and keeping a good crease in them and making sure my hats are neat and clean. Appearance does not help me call balls and strikes and it never will. It also will not help me improve. However, when we are observed in WV, appearance is part of the criteria and I strive to look as professional as possible. I like the word professional more than flashy. Is that any different than the "flashy" manner people call a 3rd strike? I think you are off-base in judging someone flashy just because of the shoes they wear.

I also agree with Steve on the ease of care. In 60 seconds, my shoes look like new with just water and a soft cloth. As fas as the sweating goes, I've not noticed anything about my feet sweating anymore than before. Besides, my sweat don't stink!

Old Sun Jun 18, 2006, 09:15pm
Official Forum Member

I personally think that Leather Luster makes shoes look crappy and unnatural especially when dirty. My shoes get dirty 2 seconds after I walk on the field but I still take the time to clean them after every session.
Old Mon Jun 19, 2006, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer
Wearing patent leather shoes does not help my judgement one bit - you are absolutely correct. It does, however, make me look more professional when I walk onto the field. Just like having my pants dry-cleaned and keeping a good crease in them and making sure my hats are neat and clean. Appearance does not help me call balls and strikes and it never will. It also will not help me improve. However, when we are observed in WV, appearance is part of the criteria and I strive to look as professional as possible. I like the word professional more than flashy. Is that any different than the "flashy" manner people call a 3rd strike?
You obviously have not seen me call a third strike. No flash, just a call.

Quote:
I think you are off-base in judging someone flashy just because of the shoes they wear.
Just where in any previous posts did I "judge" anyone? Seems to me, I just noted my personal opinion and preference.

Of course, appearance is important. No one in this thread said that it wasn't.
And where did I ever bring into question an umpire's ability as it relates to their wardrobe? Apparently, your computer has a special filter which allows you to read hidden text that the rest of us do not see.

Quote:
I also agree with Steve on the ease of care. In 60 seconds, my shoes look like new with just water and a soft cloth.
You note the ease of wiping these shoes clean, yet you go to the trouble and expense of having your pants dry cleaned?

I have never had to take a pair of pants I wear on the field to the cleaners. Always just a wash away from looking new and never, never lost a permanent crease. Most pair last me 3-4 years of year-round wear.