The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 20, 2005, 08:40pm
Official Forum Member

I have used this product several times in the past and have always been pleased with the results. I LL'd a pair of new New Balance 650's a couple of weeks ago and have run into a problem. I applied three coats over the course of 4 days. The last coat has not dried properly. The shoes are brilliant, a shine like patent leather, but they are still sticky to the touch. You can not touch them with out having the black polish rub off on your hands. They pick up every stray piece of lint, fuzz and hair they come in contact with. I was wondering if anyone else has encountered a similar situation and what you did to rectify the problem. Is there any way to remove the LL and start over? I really like the fit and style of these shoes, but can't wear them like they are. Help!!
Old Sun Nov 20, 2005, 09:01pm
Official Forum Member

Been there, done that but my problem has always been the first coat. What I did was strip it with laquer thinner and start over.
Old Sun Nov 20, 2005, 09:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mikeref
I have used this product several times in the past and have always been pleased with the results. I LL'd a pair of new New Balance 650's a couple of weeks ago and have run into a problem. I applied three coats over the course of 4 days. The last coat has not dried properly. The shoes are brilliant, a shine like patent leather, but they are still sticky to the touch. You can not touch them with out having the black polish rub off on your hands. They pick up every stray piece of lint, fuzz and hair they come in contact with. I was wondering if anyone else has encountered a similar situation and what you did to rectify the problem. Is there any way to remove the LL and start over? I really like the fit and style of these shoes, but can't wear them like they are. Help!!
I've had the same problem with shoes made from synthetic leather. I've stripped them and stripped them with no success.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Nov 21, 2005, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

that is why i paid a couple extra dollars a couple of years ago and had them do it for me.. sent them my shoes and they came back perfect and i didn't have to worry about the mess!! Definitely worth the extra money, i like the look so well, that is why i went to patents last year!
Old Mon Nov 21, 2005, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

I'm afraid I'm not paying them $60 and waiting 3 to 5 weeks for my shoes to be returned. My shoes will just have to be Kiwi'ed.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Nov 21, 2005, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Make sure you get your shoes clean before applying LL. Before, rub the original leather until you can't rub no more. I have the NB shoes and they are in great shape. I have a new pair of 10.5 Nike and 10.5 NB if anyone is interested with the LL.
Old Mon Nov 21, 2005, 05:20pm
Official Forum Member

I never use LL because too many people have had a bad experiences. The Kiwi Premiere Shine Ultra Brilliant liquid is my first choice. I use the neutral the first few times I polish them, then eventually switch over to the black. This stuff works great for me and my wife says that I am seriously obsessed with this shoe stuff. [edited for spelling]

[Edited by refnrev on Nov 21st, 2005 at 05:22 PM]
Old Tue Nov 22, 2005, 05:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to SHellmueller Send a message via AIM to SHellmueller
I had the same experience with LL, same shoe, first coat. Only thing I did was put 'em in the sun. Worked like a charm, once we had a sunny day. then I just put a 2nd coat, and they look great

If you call LL, they'll tell you exactly that: The NB 650 (or 609) will come out fine, once they dry. But everyone panics (like I did) because that first coat takes forever.
Old Tue Nov 22, 2005, 05:58pm
M.A.S.H.

Patent Leather

Those who wear the Patent Leather what do you use to wipe them down? Just water?? Thanks
Old Wed Nov 23, 2005, 08:34am
Official Forum Member

Re: Patent Leather

Quote:
Originally posted by tjones1
Those who wear the Patent Leather what do you use to wipe them down? Just water?? Thanks
i was told furniture polish, so before i leave home i spray a little on the rag and wipe them down, shines them pretty good!!!! They also have the PLEDGE WIPES, i had some of them too, but are out...everyone used the armorall wipes on their leather, so i just thought i would try some of the pledge wipes, you don't have to wipe them a lot, just every now and then to get the finger prints off!
Old Wed Nov 23, 2005, 06:07pm
Official Forum Member

I put Armour All on a pair of dress shoes several years ago and they made that creaking sound like the old nurses shoes used to do with every step afterwards. Not trying that again.
Old Wed Nov 23, 2005, 06:16pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by refnrev
I put Armour All on a pair of dress shoes several years ago and they made that creaking sound like the old nurses shoes used to do with every step afterwards. Not trying that again.
Old nurses make the same creaking sound too.

It's true, it's true....
Old Wed Nov 23, 2005, 06:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

It's true, it's true....
I didn't know you were an old nurse.

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Nov 23, 2005, 07:01pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by M&M Guy
Quote:
Quote:

It's true, it's true....
No, but I do like to dress up like a nurse every now and then. Wanna see the pictures?
Old Wed Nov 23, 2005, 07:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by M&M Guy
Quote:
Quote:

It's true, it's true....
No, but I do like to dress up like a nurse every now and then. Wanna see the pictures?
Geeze, more spam.