The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 31, 2006, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Another Batting out of Order Question

My question deals with FED rule 7.1.2 EFFECT: The umpire shall declare the batter who should have batted out (not the improper batter). Any other outs on the play stand. All runners who were not declared out must return to the base occupied at the time of the pitch....

What would happen in the following scenario? No outs. Bases loaded. Improper batter (but NOT a batter that would otherwise follow the proper batter in the lineup) hits a single. All runners advance one base. Defense appeals before the next pitch. How do you return the runners to the base occupied at the time of the pitch, since the improper batter has forced all the preceeding runners to advance? (I am thinking specifically of R3 who should be put back on 1st base, but the improper batter is standing there). Is the improper batter removed from the bases so that the other runners can return (because she was not on a base at the time of the pitch)?
Old Wed May 31, 2006, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Yes. Improper batter removed from 1B. Proper batter declared out. All other batters returned to bases at TOP.

In this case, you end up with bases loaded again (where you started), 1 out, new proper batter at the plate, improper batter now in dugout getting chewed out by coach
Old Wed May 31, 2006, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

Mom, what date is on your NFHS rule book? The wording in my 2006 book is different than what you posted. I am quoting from page 56 under 7-1-2 PENALTY (not EFFECT) starting in paragraph 2 about halfway down the page..

“The umpire shall declare the batter who should have batted out (not the improper batter). The improper batter’s time at bat is negated and she is returned to the bench/dugout area. All runners who were not declared out must return to the base occupied at the time of the pitch.”

Hence the ruling that LMan gave above.

Last edited by UmpireErnie; Wed May 31, 2006 at 08:18pm.
Old Wed May 31, 2006, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=UmpireErnie]The umpire shall declare the batter who should have batted out (not the proper batter). [QUOTE]

Isn't the "batter who should have batted" and "the proper batter" the same individual?
Old Wed May 31, 2006, 04:40pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
[QUOTE=IRISHMAFIA][QUOTE=UmpireErnie]The umpire shall declare the batter who should have batted out (not the proper batter).
Quote:

Isn't the "batter who should have batted" and "the proper batter" the same individual?
I thnink tht's cvalled a typo.
Old Wed May 31, 2006, 08:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Glad you have my back, partner! I fixed the post.
Old Wed May 31, 2006, 10:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpireErnie
Mom, what date is on your NFHS rule book? The wording in my 2006 book is different than what you posted. I am quoting from page 56 under 7-1-2 PENALTY (not EFFECT) starting in paragraph 2 about halfway down the page..

“The umpire shall declare the batter who should have batted out (not the improper batter). The improper batter’s time at bat is negated and she is returned to the bench/dugout area. All runners who were not declared out must return to the base occupied at the time of the pitch.”

Hence the ruling that LMan gave above.
My book is 2004. Thanks for the info. I must have missed that in the updates!
Old Wed May 31, 2006, 11:40pm
Official Forum Member

Does anybody know when they changed the language of this rule? I can't find anything about a revision, but it must have happened in 2005 or 2006.
Old Wed May 31, 2006, 11:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmom
Does anybody know when they changed the language of this rule? I can't find anything about a revision, but it must have happened in 2005 or 2006.
Justmom - email me and I will provide the full rule and changes and why. They occured over several years.

WMB
[email protected]