The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 26, 2006, 07:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel

Another question in this same vein. Do you call leaving early if they aren't stealing? You can probably guess my answer.
Speaking ASA

We all have our opinions of how to handle this, but one thing must be remembered. An umpire who makes this call is NOT wrong. Nothing in the rule even remotely suggests that the runner is out for "leaving early" or to advance to the next base. The runner would be out for failing to remain in contact with the bag prior to the pitcher releasing the ball.

If the umpire calls the runner out, don't jump on the umpire. Jump on the runner for not keeping contact, or the coach for not teaching the player the rules.
Old Fri May 26, 2006, 07:25am
softball_junky

I coached a FP travel team for seven years, playing in a tournament I had a runner on third lose her balance and stumbled lifting her foot off the base and the ump rung her up. I looked at him and said I know you can make that call I just don't believe you did it. He just smiled and walked away.
Old Fri May 26, 2006, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Yet another rule which needs to be worded better....