The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Sun May 07, 2006, 09:28am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Metro Atlanta
Posts: 861
Shades of Gray - Illegal Pitch?

Black and white - ASA 6.3.H - Pushing off with the pivot foor from a place other than the pitcher's plate is illegal.

My interp: The ball of the foot is required for a "push". Therefore, the ball of the foot must be in contact with the plate prior to any forward motion.

Shades of gray #1
Pivot foot heel is on the plate.
Illegal

Shades of gray #2
Pivot foot is flat on the ground, with just the back of the heel in contact with the front edge of the plate.
Illegal

Comments please.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Sun May 07, 2006, 11:16am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Posts: 6,425
Pushing off from the plate means pushing off from anywhere the pivot foot is in contact.
The only gray area is the general unacceptability of calling any pitch illegal.
__________________
Officiating takes more than OJT.
It's not our jobs to invent rulings to fit our personal idea of what should and should not be.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Sun May 07, 2006, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: NC
Posts: 78
Quote:
Pushing off from the plate means pushing off from anywhere the pivot foot is in contact.
CecilOne is right. Also consider:

ASA 6-1-C1 (Male) The pitcher shall take a position with their pivot foot in contact with the the pitcher's plate and their non-pivot foot in contact with or behind the pitchers plate. (Bold is mine.)

ASA 6-1-C2 (Female) The pitcher shall take a position with both feet in contact with the pitcher's plate. (Bold is mine.)

As I have been told a number of times you may be overthinking this.
__________________
TBOGAB
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Sun May 07, 2006, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Metro Atlanta
Posts: 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne
Pushing off from the plate means pushing off from anywhere the pivot foot is in contact.
The only gray area is the general unacceptability of calling any pitch illegal.
Cecil,

CL Buffalo says he agrees with you, but I do not understand what you write.

But if I am reading you right, Boy, would I love to see you throw a pitch.

You can push off with the back of your heel? WOW. Do you need crutches to walk? Which way do your toes point?
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Mon May 08, 2006, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcannizzo
Black and white - ASA 6.3.H - Pushing off with the pivot foor from a place other than the pitcher's plate is illegal.

My interp: The ball of the foot is required for a "push". Therefore, the ball of the foot must be in contact with the plate prior to any forward motion.

Shades of gray #1
Pivot foot heel is on the plate.
Illegal

Shades of gray #2
Pivot foot is flat on the ground, with just the back of the heel in contact with the front edge of the plate.
Illegal

Comments please.
According to the book, both are legal as long as the pivot foot remains in contact to the plate prior to the forward step. Which part of the foot is irrelevant. Is there really an advantage?
__________________
Joe Herzer
Dallas, TX DSUA
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Mon May 08, 2006, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Sherman, TX
Posts: 4,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcannizzo
Shades of gray #1
Pivot foot heel is on the plate.
Provided that no step is taken, and that the pitcher pushes off from this point, legal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcannizzo
Shades of gray #2
Pivot foot is flat on the ground, with just the back of the heel in contact with the front edge of the plate.
Again, with the caveat stated above, legal.
__________________
Scott


It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Mon May 08, 2006, 06:15pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Posts: 6,425
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcannizzo
Cecil,

CL Buffalo says he agrees with you, but I do not understand what you write.

But if I am reading you right, Boy, would I love to see you throw a pitch.

You can push off with the back of your heel? WOW. Do you need crutches to walk? Which way do your toes point?
I didn't say anything about pushing off with the heel or anything like that. I didn't know I had to say pushing off with the ball of the foot from anywhere on the ground while any part of the foot is in contact with any part of the pitching plate.
__________________
Officiating takes more than OJT.
It's not our jobs to invent rulings to fit our personal idea of what should and should not be.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pitch - Illegal or No Pitch? Duke Softball 13 Fri Jul 09, 2004 10:17am
When does an leegal pitch BECOME and illegal pitch. Illini_Ref Baseball 4 Fri Apr 23, 2004 02:06pm
Legal Pitch vs. Illegal Pitch ? Deion Softball 15 Mon Jun 30, 2003 04:24pm
illegal ball... illegal pitch? [email protected] Baseball 5 Thu Apr 17, 2003 06:57pm
Hit by pitch along with Illegal pitch Del-Blue Softball 10 Sun Mar 09, 2003 09:49pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:47am.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1