Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 04, 2006, 05:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrowder
SC - what lack of action?...

And even if the umpires didn't call her out, she DEFINITELY can't leave the dugout to start running bases.
In the original post, it was noted, "The ump was wondering if he had the outs wrong at two but had still not made any call after the strike out." To me, this is lack of action due to the ump not having their head in the game.

If I have two outs and both teams start abandoning their postions, I would first state very loudly, "TWO OUTS." After everyone was set, I would call time to check with the score keepers to ensure how many outs there are.

Leaving the dugout to start running the bases? I agree, that definitely would not happen.
Old Thu May 04, 2006, 10:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme
I guess that I must be in the minority. After each pitch, regardless of what happens or if I have to move out of F2's way I automatically advance my indicator. It's become so automatic for me over the past 20+ years that I can honestly say that I can't remember the last time I forgot the count. But if I did and I was working solo I would turn to the scorekeeper and ask what the count was. I wouldn't stop giving the count or pray for a base hit.

How can you forget the outs? Try giving the count after each pitch and repeat the number of outs. It's really not that much to remember and you have your indicator to use.....

It boils down to the umpire not keeping their head in the game.

Do you also walk on water, force demons out of man and, into the swine and give the blind sight?

Everyone loses track at sometime or another.
Old Fri May 05, 2006, 07:02am
Official Forum Member

Having reviewed this with others, I believe mcrowder has it right. The ball was live, so the ump can't start doing the coahes' jobs.

So, of the two items at hand, he didn't react too quickly and he let things unfold (which was right) but he should have called the out when the runner returned from the dugout.

p.s.

We don't use "Dixie" here, can't recall what that is (although I know one of you told me a couple years ago ... sorry to whoever that was).

These were 14-15 year olds.

Have a great day.

bobbrix
Old Fri May 05, 2006, 08:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu_bawls
Do you also walk on water, force demons out of man and, into the swine and give the blind sight?

Everyone loses track at sometime or another.

Yes I do! I also raise the dead and turn water into wine. But I don't think that I can teach you how to read. I didn't say that I never lose track of the count, I said that I can't remember the last time that it happened.

Why does it bother you that I have devloped a habit which helps me not forget the count? Whether you believe (or not) that it has been a very long time since I have lost track of the count or outs doesn't make it any less true. Sorry that my efficiency upsets you.
Old Fri May 05, 2006, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbrix
We don't use "Dixie" here, can't recall what that is (although I know one of you told me a couple years ago ... sorry to whoever that was).
Dixie is yet another association that provides rulesets for baseball and softball primarily in the Southern US. Very similar rules to Little League, from what I can tell.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Fri May 05, 2006, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme
I didn't say that I never lose track of the count, I said that I can't remember the last time that it happened.
Now THAT'S funny!!!
Old Fri May 05, 2006, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
Now THAT'S funny!!!
Yes it is. I read it and immediately thought of "I only make one mistake per day. I thought I'd made it earlier today, but realized I was wrong."

I do remember the last time I lost track of the count. Back when I used an indicator as a crutch, a foul ball flew back, hit my hand, and shattered the indicator. Since I was still using this as a crutch, and not as a tool, I could not recall the count at all. Scorebooks didn't match, and neither matched what partner and I could remember (which was also different). So we guessed. Ever since, I've made a habit of telling myself the count before looking or clicking. It works for me - haven't lost one since, and I find that if asked I can usually regurgitate the entire pitch sequence. (And no, I don't use a indicator on the basepaths at all... I wouldn't use it at the plate either except that it's required.)
Old Fri May 05, 2006, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yes it is. I read it and immediately thought of "I only make one mistake per day. I thought I'd made it earlier today, but realized I was wrong."
The question should be "If I lost track of the count and can't rememeber forgetting, did I ever actually forget?"
Old Fri May 05, 2006, 05:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Back when I used an indicator as a crutch, a foul ball flew back, hit my hand, and shattered the indicator. Since I was still using this as a crutch, and not as a tool, I could not recall the count at all.

This event made me think.....I pondered this incident and its value as to using or not using an indicator behind the plate....

...and decided to buy a metal indicator. Thanks
Old Fri May 05, 2006, 06:55pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Back when I used an indicator as a crutch, a foul ball flew back, hit my hand, and shattered the indicator. Since I was still using this as a crutch, and not as a tool, I could not recall the count at all.
I still can't figure out where to buy an indicator long enough to use as a crutch.
Old Fri May 05, 2006, 07:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I do remember the last time I lost track of the count. Back when I used an indicator as a crutch, a foul ball flew back, hit my hand, and shattered the indicator. Since I was still using this as a crutch, and not as a tool, I could not recall the count at all. Scorebooks didn't match, and neither matched what partner and I could remember (which was also different). So we guessed. Ever since, I've made a habit of telling myself the count before looking or clicking. It works for me - haven't lost one since, and I find that if asked I can usually regurgitate the entire pitch sequence. (And no, I don't use a indicator on the basepaths at all... I wouldn't use it at the plate either except that it's required.)
I have been known to carry a spare indicator in the ball pouch.

Softball in the Bible
"In the big-inning"

Old Mon May 08, 2006, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

tcb - I have spares too. Unfortunately for me in this case, they did not happen to have the correct count on them when the one I was using was shattered.