View Single Post
Old Thu May 04, 2006, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbrix
CSA

One out, runner at 1st.

Batter strikes out ... catcher calls out a congrats to her pitcher, rolls the ball towards the pitcher's plate and trots off the field, the rest of her team jogs in after her. Along with them, the runner on first along with both base coaches go to their dugouts.

A couple parents are screaming "that's only two out!".

The ump was wondering if he had the outs wrong at two but had still not made any call after the strike out.

So, the girl that was on 1st darts out from the dugout and runs around the bases, ump calls safe and counts the run. Defence runs back on the field and the inning continues.

I think she should have been called out when she entered her dugout. Our rule book says if a runner abandons her base and leaves the playing field AND THE BALL IS LIVE, then she is out.

I believe the ball is "live" under all circumstances, including when the pitcher is in her circle unless the ump calls time or dead ball (or foul ball) .... am I right ???

It amazes me as I read some of these posts just how bad some of the umpires are that you guys work with. They forget the count, can't remember the number of outs, don't know the rules or don't know how to apply the rules.