The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun May 07, 2006, 09:58pm
Official Forum Member

Catcher Placement

I had an argument with a guy on my team about where I (the catcher) should stand when there is a play at home. I feel most comfortable being in front of the baseline, about 1 or 2 feet down the baseline from homeplate. He said I should be behind the baseline or behind homeplate when there's a play. Who is more right?
Thanks
Old Sun May 07, 2006, 10:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samo721
I had an argument with a guy on my team about where I (the catcher) should stand when there is a play at home. I feel most comfortable being in front of the baseline, about 1 or 2 feet down the baseline from homeplate. He said I should be behind the baseline or behind homeplate when there's a play. Who is more right?
Thanks
Tell the guy not to try catching as he has no idea how to play the position. Stand behind the plate or base path the that puts the runner between you and the ball. Not a smart place to be standing.

From fair territory, the catcher can receive the ball and make a tag without the possibility of the approaching runner affecting the play.
Old Mon May 08, 2006, 08:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samo721
Thanks
Depends on where the ball's coming from, but I believe a generic answer of - "between the incoming ball and home plate, within an arm's length of home" should suffice for most plays. The position you described is great for a ball coming from LF or 3B. If it's coming from RF or 1B, I'd suggest being along the 1B line, close enough to home to make a tag. And from foul ground ... just flip to the other side of the foul line.

And then, of course, you'll have to adjust as the LF's throw comes in toward the pitcher...