The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Both teams enter dugouts, 2 out, 1 on (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/26368-both-teams-enter-dugouts-2-out-1-a.html)

bobbrix Wed May 03, 2006 10:03pm

Both teams enter dugouts, 2 out, 1 on

CSA

One out, runner at 1st.

Batter strikes out ... catcher calls out a congrats to her pitcher, rolls the ball towards the pitcher's plate and trots off the field, the rest of her team jogs in after her. Along with them, the runner on first along with both base coaches go to their dugouts.

A couple parents are screaming "that's only two out!".

The ump was wondering if he had the outs wrong at two but had still not made any call after the strike out.

So, the girl that was on 1st darts out from the dugout and runs around the bases, ump calls safe and counts the run. Defence runs back on the field and the inning continues.

I think she should have been called out when she entered her dugout. Our rule book says if a runner abandons her base and leaves the playing field AND THE BALL IS LIVE, then she is out.

I believe the ball is "live" under all circumstances, including when the pitcher is in her circle unless the ump calls time or dead ball (or foul ball) .... am I right ???

IRISHMAFIA Wed May 03, 2006 10:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbrix
CSA

One out, runner at 1st.

Batter strikes out ... catcher calls out a congrats to her pitcher, rolls the ball towards the pitcher's plate and trots off the field, the rest of her team jogs in after her. Along with them, the runner on first along with both base coaches go to their dugouts.

The ump was wondering if he had the outs wrong at two but had still not made any call after the strike out.

So, the girl that was on 1st darts out from the dugout and runs around the bases, ump calls safe and counts the run. Defence runs back on the field and the inning continues.

I think she should have been called out when she entered her dugout. Our rule book says if a runner abandons her base and leaves the playing field AND THE BALL IS LIVE, then she is out.

I believe the ball is "live" under all circumstances, including when the pitcher is in her circle unless the ump calls time or dead ball (or foul ball) .... am I right ???

Use to be a standard ruse when I was playing. And, I believe you are correct, once the runner entered DBT, she's done.

BTW, what is CSA? Always thought you were a Dixie guy.

bobbrix Wed May 03, 2006 10:30pm

Softball Canada is the most-recent term, I suppose.

CSA was (is?) Canadian Softball Association, similarly with CASA as Canadian Amateur Softball Assocation.

We have a short season (snuck in a game yesterday, too cold today) so you don't hear much from us September-April or so.

Regards.

SC Ump Wed May 03, 2006 11:10pm

I hope I would have had the presents of mind to call time when I saw that both teams had the out count wrong and get everyone reset. If I didn't, I would probably just put everyone back where they were since my lack of action put one team or the other in jeopordy.

mcrowder Thu May 04, 2006 07:44am

SC - what lack of action? At most, you should be signalling 2 outs and watching the action. You start directing traffic or calling time during live ball for no apparent reason, and you run into trouble. I, too, have an out when she enters the dugout.

And even if the umpires didn't call her out, she DEFINITELY can't leave the dugout to start running bases.

LIIRISHMAN Thu May 04, 2006 08:42am

DEpending on the ages and temperment of the teams you could just put everyone back on the field. If it's older kids or adults then the runner is ruled out once she's enters DB area

Justme Thu May 04, 2006 08:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbrix
CSA

One out, runner at 1st.

It amazes me as I read some of these posts just how bad some of the umpires are that you guys work with. They forget the count, can't remember the number of outs, don't know the rules or don't know how to apply the rules.

tcblue13 Thu May 04, 2006 09:05am

Count me in as one of the bad ones then

I have forgotten to roll the indicator on a passed ball or roll the out wheel when a player made another play beyond the out. I try to assess the game situation with every batter and if there is significant action during an at bat to reset everything correctly. Aother habit I have tried to get into is to tell the catcher the number of outs after every out to make dang sure I roll it. This is why our association requires the BU to keep an indicator as well.

We do have one blue who has told us if we ever ask him for the count, he will give 0 - 2.:p

CecilOne Thu May 04, 2006 09:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by LIIRISHMAN
DEpending on the ages and temperment of the teams you could just put everyone back on the field. If it's older kids or adults then the runner is ruled out once she's enters DB area

Right, at 8&U in-house, reset.

Dakota Thu May 04, 2006 10:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justme
It amazes me as I read some of these posts just how bad some of the umpires are that you guys work with. They forget the count, can't remember the number of outs, ....

Any umpire with more than just a couple of games under his belt who claims he has never forgotten the count or the number of outs is either delusional or a liar. ;)

And in a single man game, if you forget the count (forget to roll the wheel on your indicator, or can't remember if you did), then your only recourse is to

a) avoid giving the count, and
b) pray for a base hit. :o

If you forget the number of outs, just hope you have a good catcher to help you out (when she gives the number of outs to her team, and nobody objects, then you know!). :D

greymule Thu May 04, 2006 10:39am

BTW, what is CSA? Always thought you were a Dixie guy.

I have a CSA belt buckle. Definitely Dixie!

CecilOne Thu May 04, 2006 10:55am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dakota
Any umpire with more than just a couple of games under his belt who claims he has never forgotten the count or the number of outs is either delusional or a liar. ;)

And in a single man game, if you forget the count (forget to roll the wheel on your indicator, or can't remember if you did), then your only recourse is to

If you forget the number of outs, just hope you have a good catcher to help you out (when she gives the number of outs to her team, and nobody objects, then you know!). :D

Book of Wisdom 333,444-555

Justme Thu May 04, 2006 11:29am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dakota

I guess that I must be in the minority. After each pitch, regardless of what happens or if I have to move out of F2's way I automatically advance my indicator. It's become so automatic for me over the past 20+ years that I can honestly say that I can't remember the last time I forgot the count. But if I did and I was working solo I would turn to the scorekeeper and ask what the count was. I wouldn't stop giving the count or pray for a base hit.

How can you forget the outs? Try giving the count after each pitch and repeat the number of outs. It's really not that much to remember and you have your indicator to use.....

It boils down to the umpire not keeping their head in the game.

Dakota Thu May 04, 2006 11:34am

So, which are you? :D

tcblue13 Thu May 04, 2006 11:58am

:)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Justme
It boils down to the umpire not keeping their head in the game.

That's why Troy and Gabriella got the part in the High School Musical
The East High Wildcats led by Troy Bolton won the city Basketball Championship
The East High Wildcats led by Gabriella Montez won the 10th annual city Academic competition

Gotta keep your head in the game

We're all in this together