The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 17, 2006, 07:04pm
Official Forum Member

Positioning Questions

Okay I got my questions answered about pick off attempt at 1B. Now I need to move on to 2b and 3B.

I am in C slot. R1 on 2B. When there is a pick off attempt at 2B should I move parallel to basepath or should I move into the basepath ? My thinking is if F4 is making the play move towards basepath for the angle . If F6 is making the play I should move parallel ,kinda with the SS.

I am C slot. Runner on 3B. F5 making the play I step into basepath for the angle. If F6 is making the play I move parallel to basepath to get the better angle.

i know these sound like basic positioning questions but this is only my second year and at times I find myself not real sure on how to get the best angle on these sitchs. So feedback is welcomed.
Old Mon Apr 17, 2006, 08:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chess Ref
I am in C slot. R1 on 2B. When there is a pick off attempt at 2B should I move parallel to basepath or should I move into the basepath ? My thinking is if F4 is making the play move towards basepath for the angle . If F6 is making the play I should move parallel ,kinda with the SS.
If you move into the baseline, your going to have a good view of the tag but since the runner will be diving away from you, you will miss whether she gets to the base or not. I would always move parallel, even though there is a slight chance the runner will be between you and the fielder that is tagging her.
Quote:
I am C slot. Runner on 3B. F5 making the play I step into basepath for the angle. If F6 is making the play I move parallel to basepath to get the better angle.
I think that in either case, F5 or F6 will be slightly inside the base line with the runner diving back to the base. I would suggest that the best position would be as close to the third base foul line as possible, angling toward the outfield with your first couple of steps.
Old Mon Apr 17, 2006, 08:48pm
Official Forum Member

Your best position on the pick-off is a 90 degree angle.

From the C position with the pick-off at 2B, I am going to move parallel to the path in the hope/expectation of getting to that 90 degree angle.

From the C position with the pick-off at 3B, I am moving into the 2B-to-3B path so that I get a 90 degree angle to the play.

Understand that I am using the 20-40 approach and my working in between pitches has me moving toward the most likely play. And when that play does happen, I will be in position with a really good angle and look at the play.
Old Tue Apr 18, 2006, 07:01am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
I agree with Steve, with one exception.
On a pickoff at 2nd, if I am already in tight, an angle from inside the base line lets me see the throw into the fielder's glove and still be nearly perpendicular to the runner.
Also, that leaves me out of the path of the backup fielder and the overthrow; and gives me a quicker cover of 3rd on the throw back from F8.
Old Tue Apr 18, 2006, 08:46am
Official Forum Member

The mechanic posted by Steve is also the one that I use.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Tue Apr 18, 2006, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

SteveM

What is the 20/40 approach ? never even heard of it......
Old Tue Apr 18, 2006, 06:42pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Distance from bases.
Old Tue Apr 18, 2006, 08:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne
On a pickoff at 2nd, if I am already in tight, an angle from inside the base line...
Huh? Inside the base line? I'm not visualizing what you mean.
Old Tue Apr 18, 2006, 09:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

The 20/40 approach is that my starting position is roughly 20 feet from the base occupied - 40 feet from the next base. After the pitch, before the return to the pitcher, I will take 1 stride toward the occupied base - this way, if there is a pick-off attempt, I am already moving toward a calling position. If no pick-off attempt, I return to my starting position once the ball is returned to the pitcher.

It puts me in great position for a pick-off play and I am able to get into a calling position, in time, when the runner tries to steal.