The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Apr 16, 2006, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

Two related illegal pitch questions

NFHS:

Upon return of the ball to the pitcher, she will "practice" her rotation before taking position on the pitching plate. She is in the circle and does her windmill motion, sort of pitching the ball into her own glove, like she is loosening up. This is fairly common, at least in games around here. Illegal pitch? I have never thought so.

Situation yesterday: R1 on 2B. Throughout the game, the pitcher was doing as stated above. After one pitch, the catcher returns the ball to the pitcher who then "takes a moment" while standing about 2 feet behind the pitching plate. She pauses while looking at the ground, takes a breath and just relaxes. She then looks up, and does one of these "practice rotations". As she does, R1 apparently things she is delivering and "flinches", but before stepping off 2B, realizes it is just a practice rotation.

This raise a lot of questions in my mind about what to do if the runner had left the base by a step or two. I could rationalize it as legal by saying the ball was out of the pitcher's position for a fraction of a second while the ball went from her bare hand to her glove. But then what should be done if the runner was stealing and got caught at third.

It would almost make me think this common "practice rotation" should be considered an illegal pitch. Our at least if it is done while near the pitching plate when facing the catcher.

Thoughts?
Old Sun Apr 16, 2006, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
By rule, not illegal while off the PP.
The runner must watch for the release, but could certainly be legally deceived.
Old Sun Apr 16, 2006, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne
By rule, not illegal while off the PP.
The runner must watch for the release, but could certainly be legally deceived.
Are you saying that if a pitcher were to take a position very near but not on the PP, and were to do all the other things associated with a pitch (taking a signal, steping forward, etc.) . . . everything except for releasing the ball, that it would be legal and the runner would be out if she left the base?
Old Sun Apr 16, 2006, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Ump
Are you saying that if a pitcher were to take a position very near but not on the PP, and were to do all the other things associated with a pitch (taking a signal, steping forward, etc.) . . . everything except for releasing the ball, that it would be legal and the runner would be out if she left the base?
By the book, I believe so.
Old Sun Apr 16, 2006, 08:46pm
Official Forum Member

After looking through the book, I agree with CecilOne that there's nothing wrong with the action. It happens a lot around here; the pitcher is just practicing. It's always up to the runner to be aware of what's happening.

Now if the pitcher was really close to the rubber while she was doing this and maybe if she had been doing this for awhile in a somewhat obvious attempt to fool the runner...maybe, just maybe I would get "fooled" too and call an illegal pitch. "She looked like she was on the rubber to me coach".
Old Mon Apr 17, 2006, 08:28am
Official Forum Member

I think part of the key is did the pitcher simulate taking a signal? If not, the offense should know there is no pitch.

That said, "stepped off what base, coach?"