The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 24, 2005, 11:33pm
Official Forum Member

HS playoff game, ASA rules. R1 on 1B. As pitcher delivers, PU throws out left arm, but does not declare "Illegal pitch" until after ball is received, without swing. R1 does not attempt a steal. Two questions:

1. Should the PU verbalize "illegal pitch" right away? As a fairly new ump, all the FP I do is jr. high and JV, where we inform but don't call illegal pitches. I call it right away in SP, but they have time to hear it and react. But I can see where a PU that verbalizes as the ball is coming in could disrupt the batter in FP.

2. Should the umpires place R1 at 2B, or just allow it if she ambles down? The rules says "runners are entitled to advance one base without liability to be put out". In this case, R1 is still at 1B after the expected ten minute argument.
Old Wed May 25, 2005, 12:16am
Official Forum Member

Call it illegal when it becomes illegal. If pitcher or batter stops their action, no matter, as the penalty remains in force (different than slow pitch, where batter wants the option to swing, and that takes off the enforcement).

The base award is just that; an award. Tell the runner to advance, announce the new count (the IP is a ball), and get ready to play. There is no need for a delay, since the judgment of an IP isn't subject to discussion. If asked, advise why you called it illegal, and move on.
Old Wed May 25, 2005, 03:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by blue_ape
1. Should the PU verbalize "illegal pitch" right away?

2. Should the umpires place R1 at 2B, or just allow it if she ambles down?
1. I have always been taught to verbalize the illegal pitch call, just loud enough for those in the immediate vacinity to hear. When I call it was a PU or BU, it will probably be loud enough for the pitcher to hear but I do not scream it.

Not that it has bearing here except to note the contrast: Most baseball organizations consider the 'balk' a delayed dead ball. In those I have always been taught to yell balk loud enough to "scare the players into stopping their actions." That is not what I do in softball.

2. The same as #1, I announce it but I do not scream it. I'm not going to <*grin*> pick her up and place her at 2B myself, but I will announce that she can go.