The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 22, 2006, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
Camps?

I know that most of the assigners for D1 & 2 in basketball look at refs during camps. I have scoured the internet for something like this in softball. There are a lot of baseball camps and ASA camps but I'm not looking at that - I want to hopefully be seen by D1 assigners for softball - anyone know where that can happen?
Old Wed Mar 22, 2006, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

Are you currently working any college ball? If not, most assignors will start you at the NJCAA and NAIA level, and possibly some DIII. You can find a list of regional and conference assignors at www.cactusumpires.com.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Wed Mar 22, 2006, 03:37pm
Official Forum Member

an interesting point

I know the ASA Advanced Camp is wonderful, and I think the world of Phil G. and all who work hard to make these camps great (and to the folks in TX before that, and folks before that).

But there is an interesting point to be made here (at least IMHO). There IS a need for some sort of camp, much like the basketball camps and the ASA Advanced camps. Not everyone is an ASA umpire, but hopefully all are aspiring to become better at our avocation. Besides, not everyone is cut out for the ASA Advanced National Camp (just ask Billy Monk and some of the others in TX).

Isn't there some way we can do this for the betterment of softball umpiring as a whole? Don't get me wrong, I am beholden to the blue shirt brigade - ASA and especially the Seattle group and leaders like Malcolm Boyles and Wild Bill Silves and others have given me some pretty darned wonderful opportunities to succeed. But is there more we can do to help those who want to succeed, succeed?
Old Wed Mar 22, 2006, 04:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbjones
I know the ASA Advanced Camp is wonderful, and I think the world of Phil G. and all who work hard to make these camps great (and to the folks in TX before that, and folks before that).

But there is an interesting point to be made here (at least IMHO). There IS a need for some sort of camp, much like the basketball camps and the ASA Advanced camps. Not everyone is an ASA umpire, but hopefully all are aspiring to become better at our avocation. Besides, not everyone is cut out for the ASA Advanced National Camp (just ask Billy Monk and some of the others in TX).

Isn't there some way we can do this for the betterment of softball umpiring as a whole? Don't get me wrong, I am beholden to the blue shirt brigade - ASA and especially the Seattle group and leaders like Malcolm Boyles and Wild Bill Silves and others have given me some pretty darned wonderful opportunities to succeed. But is there more we can do to help those who want to succeed, succeed?
Many of your NCAA umpires come out of ASA and are seen at the high levels of ASA. There are also college tournaments in certain areas which umpire associations use to eval umpires who are interested in a move.

You need to remember, the NCAA conferences contract with local associations (most of which are dedicated to college ball), just like many local leagues do, to work their games. The NCAA really doesn't get into umpire assignments until the post-season. If you want to work college ball, I would think you would need to apply to one of these associations for membership.
Old Wed Mar 22, 2006, 05:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to CelticNHBlue
To expand a little on what Mike has mentioned, it is often who you work with outside the NCAA that gets you into an organized college board. Here in New England, that is typically by invitation. For example, a board member who works ASA or HS with you will recommend you for college ball. From there, the D-III board will invite you to a fall evaluation tournament and typically give you a schedule the following spring where you will work with the boards better officials who will mentor you to help you improve your game. Beyond this level, it is a much more competitive field, especially here, where there are very few quality D-I assignments close to home. The D-II and D-I boards cap their membership levels because there are far more umpires than games and this forces people to stay on top of their game. These boards also host evaluation camps with NUS evaluators for national exposure for post-season assignments. Beyond the local associations, the NCAA and NFCA host in the neighborhood of 6-8 evaluations tournaments (such as the Leadoff Classic) each year where they invite national umpires that they specifically want to evaluate with potential post season assignments in mind.

I agree that it would be nice to have a national mechanics school at the NCAA D-I level where officials could pay to learn the finest points to officiating with NCAA mechanics. As mentioned, it is by invitation only at this point, but as the NUIP is still in its early stages, this may be in their future plans. For now, your best bet is to talk to your ASA and HS assigners who they know that works D-I and do all you can to work with these people whenever possible and look, listen, and learn. From my experience, the vast majority of these umpires will help you improve your game and invite you into the upper levels when you game is ready. These guys and gals not selfish and get just as much out of mentoring umpires that want to be the best as they get out of learning and being the best they can be.
Old Wed Mar 22, 2006, 09:39pm
Official Forum Member

I am currently working in ASA, NFHS as well as NCAA DII - I agree with the person though that said we need some sort of outlet like this. Many assignors in basketball will go to team camps to scout officials - I still think there needs to be something if there isn't something already.

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Thu Mar 23, 2006, 07:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer
I am currently working in ASA, NFHS as well as NCAA DII - I agree with the person though that said we need some sort of outlet like this. Many assignors in basketball will go to team camps to scout officials - I still think there needs to be something if there isn't something already.
Let's try this again.

The NCAA does not have umpires. They do not assign umpires during the season. All the NCAA does is provide a clinic for umpires.

The only way you get assigned NCAA games is to be a member of the association which is contracted with different conferences to supply officials to that game. It is THAT association which will rate you and determine at which level you should be working, if at all.

For post-season play, Jerry Hansen, Cathy Strum, etc. get involved and select umpires for the regionals, super-regionals and championships. Many of these umpires are recognized not only by their NCAA work, but games at the highest level of ASA ball. I'm sure if an umpire works for another sanctioning body (AFA, USFA, etc,) and is seen at their highest level of play, they will also have a shot. However, I doubt any umpire is going to work NCAA post-season play without belonging to an association which is contracted to work NCAA-level conference games.

One of my DUICs worked a Div I regional last year, Div III championships the year before and will be working the Div II championships this year. She does work a limited college schedule, some pro games and a bundle of ASA games. However, she got a fair amount of exposure from working the ASA Women's Major FP, 18U Golds and 18U. It is those games in conjunction with local collegiate games that got her the attention she needed to get invited to some of the larger collegiate tournaments.

Getting to the point of being selected to do this level of ball isn't easy and takes a lot of dedication at the local level. I don't believe an umpire is going to get an invite to work for the NCAA working in a "camp" or umpire showcase. However, if there is a camp that will provide an umpire with the appropriate resume boost, it's going to be the ASA FP Camp.

Yes, I'm a little biased, but I've seen the path others have taken and how far that will carry an umpire.

JMHO
Old Thu Mar 23, 2006, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to CelticNHBlue
Mike: Please, say hello for me next time you see her. She started in the same local ASA group as I.
Old Thu Mar 23, 2006, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticNHBlue
Mike: Please, say hello for me next time you see her. She started in the same local ASA group as I.
She's having a tough time. She's run into a couple of catcher who cannot. Had a left hand and wrist banged up and worked a game where she took a pitch directly to the chest and another off the previously injured wrist.
Old Thu Mar 23, 2006, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

ASA FAst Pitch Camp

IrishMafia- there is an ASA FAstpitch camp out my way in a couple of months. Being that I m a 2nd year ump is this something that would be worth my time ? Or should I wait a couple of years ?

Last edited by Chess Ref; Thu Mar 23, 2006 at 12:32pm.
Old Thu Mar 23, 2006, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chess Ref
IrishMafia- there is an ASA FAstpitch camp out my way in a couple of months. Being that I m a 2nd year ump is this something that would be worth my time ? Or should I wait a couple of years ?
These camps are high intensity training. Those who attend are going to be expected to know what they are doing before they get there. Not knowing your level of officiating, I really cannot give you a good answer to your question. If you do well, that's good. Screw up or seem to be lost and, unfortunately, you may get an unwanted tag from observers and instructers which basically means you will not get far in a timely fashion.

I know an umpire who wasn't well received at the advanced school and the UIC didn't dare submit his name for nationals. When the UIC finally got something for him, it was a rotation slot and he did well. Since then, he has been sent away to numerous national tournaments and has done well. Problem is if he had the opportunity earlier in his career, he may have gone farther.

I'm not supporting what happened, it just did. That was a different group of Regional UICs who were very old-school. I would have to assume this situation no longer exists, but I really don't know.

My personal feeling is to wait a couple of years, get whatever tournaments you can (state, metro, regional, NQ) under your belt if available and then go.
Old Thu Mar 23, 2006, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer
If you are already working DII, then your assignor should be able to put you in touch with the correct people you need to contact. What conference are you wanting/hoping to work at the DI level?

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Thu Mar 23, 2006, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

Mike,

I realize that the NCAA does not "have" umpires. They are employed by the conferences for which they call games. It's the same in basketball (I hate to keep making that comparison but it's all I know). It's just that they use team camps to find new officials - I know that doesn't exsist in softball - it's too bad since that seems to work well in other sports.

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Thu Mar 23, 2006, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

Not fresh off the turnip truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbjones

I suppose my greatest sin was trying to partially hijack a post. I did NOT fall off the turnip truck yesterday or last week or last year or last decade - I know how folks are selected to work NCAA games, despite the apparent perception that I am naive, dumb, stupid or ignorant.

The point that I was trying to make is that in my opinion it would be nice to somehow offer camps to folks, not for selection to NCAA or anything else, but just to make the profession better.
Old Fri Mar 24, 2006, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

Arrow NCAA softball camps

Brain Henson runs a great collegiate softball camp @ UW-Parkside in September. I believe this year it will be the 3rd weekend. It is held in conjunction with Parkside's team tournament so you get to work collegiate games as well as attend meaningful and worthwhile class sessions. I have attended this camp for the past 3 years and found it to be excellent. I work in several DIII conferences in Wisconsin and Illinois as a result. UW-Parkside is located in Kenosha, Wisconsin. Brian has "juice" with many assignors in the midwest, so attending this camp is a good way to get your name out there. Brian will also send your name to whatever assignors you would ask him to while giving them an honest evaluation of your umpiring skills. Top notch clinicians (Emily Alexander 2 years ago) Big Ten umpires and assignors make this camp well worthwhile. Reasonably priced too!! All in all a great experience!
Contact Brian at [email protected]
Let me know if anything comes from it
[email protected]