The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 17, 2006, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

Three ejections in three years for Slowpitch games. None for FP games.

One of the ejections resulted in a forfeit. He wouldn't leave the park.
Old Fri Mar 17, 2006, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

Let's see...the ol' ejection list...this is for the Seattle area only.

1. My very first school ball game as part of the Seattle association. Girl gets backward K for third out. Coach is walking from 3B coaching box to the dugout. Stops in the circle and say loud enough for all in the park to hear, "That call was f'n ridiculous." He gets to go warm up the bus.

And of course next thing I hear from a couple peers, "Why did you run a coach in a JV game? blah blah blah..." After I explained, everything was ok.

2. another girl gets a backward K for third out. she turns and asks, "Are you f'n kidding me." I don't say a word to her, but catcher tells her to swing the bat next time. Intercept coach on the way across the field and ask her if she has a replacement for #5. She says yes and asks why. I tell her why, tell her 5 is ejected, she gives me the sub. Nextinning coach comes out laughing. "I asked her if she cursed the umpire," coach says. "She tells me no. I asked her what she told you, and she tells me verbatim what you told me. I told her, 'That word is a curse word.' She gives me this dumb, vacant stare."

3. A wonderful obstruction call on an errant throw at third. Coach comes out, "You're a bullspit umpire and that was a bullspit call." Coach has to miss the rest of a great game, her team came back, game went snowman, and coach missed the whole thing.

IMHO, I probably haven't extended the invitation to enough people to leave the premises, and I think that's true for many others. Sometimes we (me included)are far too tolerant. I think I have good game management skills, and so do many others, but game management CAN include ejections (and disqualifications in NFHS). Just because you jack someone when they have earned it doesn't make one a bad umpire.
Old Fri Mar 17, 2006, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

Here are my totals:

ASA (13 years) 10 coaches, 3 fans, 2 players
NFHS (2 years) 0 ejections, 0 restriction
NCAA (1st year) 0

Most of the coaches I helped exit the game were between years 2-4. (yes, I was a little trigger happy back then). The three fans became beligerant after a call at home plate that didn't go their way, and yes, the coach went with them. The two players were ejected in the same game for the same thing: deliberately crashing into the catcher. It was an easy call. The second ejection caused a forfeit as there were no other subs.

Old Fri Mar 17, 2006, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

Forgot one

Forgot about my fan. It was at a Western National. Fan was unhappy about a call my partner made on the bases. He says, "I know you guys came here in that gray car (my umpmobile). I'll be waiting for you after the game." He went away via the UIC's golf cart and was dis-invited from remainder of tournament. 'Twas a shame, cuz his daughter's team fought through the loser's bracket and got to the finals.

Thank God for UIC's (in this case, Dan Duffy) who will support their umpires 100%.
Old Fri Mar 17, 2006, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Forgot one

Quote:
Originally posted by bkbjones
Forgot about my fan. It was at a Western National. Fan was unhappy about a call my partner made on the bases. He says, "I know you guys came here in that gray car (my umpmobile). I'll be waiting for you after the game." He went away via the UIC's golf cart and was dis-invited from remainder of tournament. 'Twas a shame, cuz his daughter's team fought through the loser's bracket and got to the finals.

Thank God for UIC's (in this case, Dan Duffy) who will support their umpires 100%.
You forgot about the USC you and I had last year for the runner crashing into F2....wasn't a true "ejection" per se, but she did finish the game on the bench.
Old Fri Mar 17, 2006, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

I dont keep track........

I primarily do Mens Slow Pitch in Park leagues. Tossing the coach usually doesnt happen to often. However, I can usually count on an a couple ejections each year for players.

The one I remember the most was an ejection after the very first pitch of the game. Batter watches a real good pitch come through his strike zone and it lands about an inch off the outside of the plate. I call it a strike, because it came through his strike zone. He puts the ball in the mark and says "See where it landed?" I said "Sir, it crossed the plate through your strike zone. Lets play." Pitcher is getting ready to pitch the ball and the batter looks back at me and says "What a F'd up call that was." I immediately called TIME! and asked him to vacate the premises. Coach comes out and ask what happened. I told him and the coach looks at his teammate and tells him to go home.

I dont know about everyone else, but I just dont put up with a lot of crap. Doing Adult Rec leagues seems a bit different than having the "organized" Manager in HS and college situation. Many of the players try to get away with a lot of stuff and I just wont let them.

I usually toss 3 to 4 players each year. The most common reason is because they cant leave the beer in the cooler until the game is done.
Old Fri Mar 17, 2006, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Forgot one

Quote:
Originally posted by SRW
You forgot about the USC you and I had last year for the runner crashing into F2....wasn't a true "ejection" per se, but she did finish the game on the bench.
Yes I did, and thanks for the reminder. Actually it was F1 covering the plate. She was a sneaky little snot, too...and a rather vicious kidney puncher. I wonder if we would have seen the punch had she been left-handed. She threw it right-handed because the glove was on her left hand. If she was a lefty, chances are neither of us would have seen it but would have been wondering why the runner was writhing on the ground.

Old Fri Mar 17, 2006, 04:55pm
Official Forum Member

Been umpiring various organizations for 18 years. I really don't know, because I've never felt is a badge of honor nor of shame, so I haven't been counting. It's just part of our job.

NFHS - - maybe two in last 10 years. Only one I remember was for a coach saying "blah, blah, blah... and if you don't like it you can throw my a$$ out."

Adult SP - coaches and players, perhaps thre or four a year when I was doing that.

Church SP - too often to count, but not nearly enough.

Kids FP - perhaps one every three or four years.
Old Fri Mar 17, 2006, 10:26pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Forgot one

Quote:
Originally posted by bkbjones
Quote:
Originally posted by SRW
Yes I did, and thanks for the reminder. Actually it was F1 covering the plate. She was a sneaky little snot, too...and a rather vicious kidney puncher. I wonder if we would have seen the punch had she been left-handed. She threw it right-handed because the glove was on her left hand. If she was a lefty, chances are neither of us would have seen it but would have been wondering why the runner was writhing on the ground.
That's right. I was watching the BR slide into 3B, so I caught the tail end of the play - the part where you're calling "Dead Ball". I look over to HP and R1 is on the ground holding her back...you're standing there telling the coach that his F1 is now DQ'd... and I'm thinking "Man, I just missed the ESPN highlight of the day..."
Old Sat Mar 18, 2006, 10:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TexBlue
I'm starting my 10 year this spring. I've had 14 coaches that had to hear how the game ended.

4 of them apologized repeatedly for it the rest of the season. They admit they just lost control and " That's not like me."

*** 6 were verbally assaulting my partner to the point I got tired of listening to it and the girls didn't need to hear anymore. Neither did I.

*** 5 for cussing in front of the girls, fans and everyone else in the park.

*** 3 for various USC reasons.

While I don't take a lot of abuse, I'll allow some. When it's time for the coach to leave the park, it's because I realize I've losing control of the game and this is my last ditch effort to regain it. I definitely don't go looking for the next ejection.
Old Mon Mar 20, 2006, 08:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SC Ump
Church SP - too often to count, but not nearly enough.
This is a sad commentary

I only do Adult SP and rarely have to eject anyone. I think that the main reason is most of the leagues around here have not only a casual profanity rule (which I know some don't like) but also the rule that if a player is ejected then they miss one or two more games. A few leagues even have the ejection reviewed and if they feel warranted will kick the player out for more games. In fact last year I only ejected one player and that was for swearing at his own teammates. He was playing SS and yelling at his OF, I started to walk into the infield, the manager playing Pitcher asked me to throw him out so he didn't have to.
Old Wed Mar 22, 2006, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

Booker227... "... two grandparents for swearing at me in the presence of the players,..."
You tossed the coaches for what the fans did???
ASA Lifetime Member
ASA, NFHS, NCAA
[IAABO95]

Softball is serious, life is a mere distraction.
http://twitter.com/MASoftballUmpTJ
Old Wed Mar 22, 2006, 05:21pm
Official Forum Member

I think he tossed the GRANDPARENTS, even if the thread had really only asked about coaches.
Old Fri Mar 24, 2006, 05:46pm
Official Forum Member

SC Ump
You are tough on the churches.

It is kind of a shame that church leagues tend to be the one's you would least expect the trouble and yet that's where it comes from. I played church league ball in SC and remember well how it can be. The worst was when I was playing in VA though and the guys on my church team were the worst in the league. They got away with a ton of stuff

Softball in the Bible
"In the big-inning"

Old Sun Mar 26, 2006, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

Not a coach as per the original question, but I just had my first ejection - a catcher no less. And I thought the PUs and F2s were supposed to work together.

This one had been all over me the whole game, a 16 Gold Championship game in a weekend tourny a couple of weeks ago. Up until this happened I was letting her comments role off like water on a duck. Then the obstruction at home happens, runner was able to not get tagged, backed up, and get in a run-down. My partner (SRW) and I get that squared away (I won't go into the mistake that we made on the award, which actually favored the obstructing team). F2, and the coach have a major problem with the OB call. She's chirping the whole time as the next 2 pitches come in (both strikes). Runners on 1st and 3rd, and F2 tells me (very sarcastically) to puh-lease watch the runners leaving early. I quietly tell her that I have a partner out there, and that if she wants me to keep calling the strikes that her pitcher is throwing, I can't possible keep my eyes on both runners. To that I get something like, "that's f-ing B.S. Bye bye F2. Coach comes out inquiring. He's still hot about the OB call. When I tell about the F-bomb, he promptly turns to his fans and asked, "did you guys hear her say anything?" Some in my group have said that he should have been gone at that point. I don't take any pride in running anyone from a game (coaches, fans, and especially players). As a result, I've probably taken more than my share of abuse. This game was quickly getting out of hand, and I just couldn't give the catcher any more rope. I do feel some pride in how my partner and I handled the coach during the ensuing discussion.

Bottom-line 3yrs umpiring, 1 player gone.

Last edited by streamdoc; Sun Mar 26, 2006 at 02:38pm.