View Single Post
Old Sun Mar 26, 2006, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

Not a coach as per the original question, but I just had my first ejection - a catcher no less. And I thought the PUs and F2s were supposed to work together.

This one had been all over me the whole game, a 16 Gold Championship game in a weekend tourny a couple of weeks ago. Up until this happened I was letting her comments role off like water on a duck. Then the obstruction at home happens, runner was able to not get tagged, backed up, and get in a run-down. My partner (SRW) and I get that squared away (I won't go into the mistake that we made on the award, which actually favored the obstructing team). F2, and the coach have a major problem with the OB call. She's chirping the whole time as the next 2 pitches come in (both strikes). Runners on 1st and 3rd, and F2 tells me (very sarcastically) to puh-lease watch the runners leaving early. I quietly tell her that I have a partner out there, and that if she wants me to keep calling the strikes that her pitcher is throwing, I can't possible keep my eyes on both runners. To that I get something like, "that's f-ing B.S. Bye bye F2. Coach comes out inquiring. He's still hot about the OB call. When I tell about the F-bomb, he promptly turns to his fans and asked, "did you guys hear her say anything?" Some in my group have said that he should have been gone at that point. I don't take any pride in running anyone from a game (coaches, fans, and especially players). As a result, I've probably taken more than my share of abuse. This game was quickly getting out of hand, and I just couldn't give the catcher any more rope. I do feel some pride in how my partner and I handled the coach during the ensuing discussion.

Bottom-line 3yrs umpiring, 1 player gone.

Last edited by streamdoc; Sun Mar 26, 2006 at 02:38pm.