The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 26, 2006, 08:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by greymule
The best mask I ever had seems to have disappeared from the market. It's very light and made of some sort of black resin. My ultra-light (also from +POS) was dented up and knocked out of line after one season.

This year I decided to splurge on the kevlar All-Star helmet. I suspect I'll be the only softball ump in NJ using one.

Those +POS masks are now being sold on E-bay for more than the original price!

I used one for a couple of seasons, like the weight but was never happy with the visibility. I bought a Pro-Nine lightweight with suede pads and really enjoyed it for most of last season. I found a Diamond model DFM-UMP at the umpire store a couple of weeks ago and had to have it. This is the lightest one I've seen yet! Have yet to use it, got rained out this weekend, but it sure feels nice, and visibility is great. The Mrs. wound up with the PRO-NINE, and we both still have the old +POS masks. May put those on E-bay sometime!
Old Mon Feb 27, 2006, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

An old guy down the street had a mask from the 1930s. You could not dent that thing with a bat. It must have weighed 10 pounds. Very large, too.
Old Mon Feb 27, 2006, 10:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to PAT THE REF
Just My 2 Cents...

I use to umpire for some local little leagues and I started out (when I was 16) with the old balloon and the mask etcÂ… that was loaned to me by the rec department

Then I decided to purchase my 1st set of equipment when I was to work other “youth” level games. (Where in some leagues 5 balls to the batter is a walk, no balk penalty – just a reset)… You get my idea (an instructional league – not “real” ball)

I purchased the Rawlings Cool-Flo that Strike3UROUT has purchased along with a cheap interior protector. I do say the vision is better then I have ever seen with a regular mask. Are you out of uniform without the hat – yes ~ the trade off is - the vision is better, the vents do keep you cool and its somewhat easy to hold with your indicator (same as the regular mask).

Now, this year I received a B-JV schedule this year here in NJ. I went out and purchased a “real mask” as the people here like to say (in NJ)…Regular ump’s mask. I have been debating this so I’m asking for advice…

I think the helmet is better, people say it looks more professional. Does the helmet do a better job in protection and visibility? I would say absolutely. The problem is it looks to bigÂ… What would you guys use if you had the choice?
Old Tue Feb 28, 2006, 12:11am
Official Forum Member

Well, I do have the choice for most games. Our local league games don't care. It would only be an issue for some invitational tournaments (depends on the UIC) and for the championship play tournaments. That's speaking ASA.

I do understand both the protection advantage (seems obvious) and I hear the users of helmets on the visibility advantage (although that one is less obvious from the outside!) and the cooler claim (again, kind of counter-intuitive), but it will probably be a long time before I become a convert, for two reasons...

1) Even though no one would care if I was technically out of uniform for league games, I would care, and I am a stickler about MY uniform. That means I have to wait for the powers that be in OKC to change the uniform requirements.

2) I'm too cheap to spend the bucks!

I have no issue with umpires who use them in leagues and associations that bless them.
Old Tue Feb 28, 2006, 09:36pm
Official Forum Member

What mask do you prefer

While umpiring baseball I use the ASM2A - ALL STAR MVP2200AL Aluminum I-BAR VISION cage is 45% lighter than a standard hockey style mask. I also like the visability this mask allows.

On a softball field a use the new feather weight mask from Shutt. As AtlSteve said in his response, NCAA softball doesn't want the hockey style mask used.
Old Wed Mar 01, 2006, 01:35am
Official Forum Member

Got my Schutt dynalite and it is very light and exellent vision .
Have taken several shots with it from male pitchers and it has held up well.
Old Wed Mar 01, 2006, 08:24am
VaASAump

Quote:
Originally posted by debeau
Can somebody direct me to Larry (DWNTEXUM?)? Trying to contact him. Thanks,

Serg

P.S. Tried using the "members" list, but it doesn't seem to work.
Old Wed Mar 01, 2006, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by VaASAump
Quote:
Originally posted by debeau
Can somebody direct me to Larry (DWNTEXUM?)? Trying to contact him. Thanks,

Serg

P.S. Tried using the "members" list, but it doesn't seem to work.
Sergio:

Here is a link to his website. There are email links and contact info on there.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Wed Mar 01, 2006, 11:00am
VaASAump

Thanks Scott!!

Serg
Old Wed Mar 01, 2006, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by VaASAump
Thanks Scott!!

Serg
My pleasure!

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Thu Mar 02, 2006, 03:14pm
Never Stop Learning

I wear an All Star kevlar helmet mask and have since they first came out. I wear a hat 4 stitch under it and take it off just like a regular mask. It took some practice but it isn't that difficult. I also carry a mask with me when I travel so if the UIC doesn't want me to wear the helmet I won't.