The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 25, 2006, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

The extended frame masks look pretty standard. Does anyone have any opinions on leather pads vs. vinyl? The cage frame looks the same for each. Can you switch from leather to vinyl while using the same cage?

All masks I've seen have a small cage area below the chin to protect the throat. Is it necessary to use an additional hanging black plastic throat guard extension piece? (ala Steve Yeager)

Does anyone prefer using the hockey-style helmet rather than a mask?

[Edited by Bluefoot on Feb 25th, 2006 at 11:29 AM]
Old Sat Feb 25, 2006, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

EVERYBODY seems to have a different opinion but here is mine.

I switched to the hockey helmet 2 years ago and I LOVE it!!

It is a Rawlings Cool-Flo that the college players use and is very light and has slots in the top of it to keep it cooler in the summer. I had a HS foul pitch knock my sturdy mask all the way around so I was looking out what would have been the earhole and I switched to the hockey helmet.

I have taken several, several foul balls off the top, side and front of the hockey mask and I never feel a thing. It's amazing how the coaches come out and the catcher stands up and turns around sometimes when I take it flush in the mask and it makes a loud BANG but I don't feel a thing.

"I've never questioned the integrity of an umpire. Their eyesight, yes"---Leo Durocher
Old Sat Feb 25, 2006, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

I'll second that. Because of the angular shape, foul balls will deflect away and the mask does not have to absorb the entire energy of the ball.

Plus the visability is great. (And you don't have to wear a hat!)

WMB
Old Sat Feb 25, 2006, 04:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WestMichBlue
I'll second that. Because of the angular shape, foul balls will deflect away and the mask does not have to absorb the entire energy of the ball.

Plus the visability is great. (And you don't have to wear a hat!)

WMB
Aye, and there's the rub.

In both ASA and NCAA rulebooks and manuals (I am on the road, in rain delay day at the NFCA Leadoff Clasic in Columbus, GA, and don't have my NFHS books handy to verify the same), the official hat is a mandated, and not optional, part of the official uniform. Unless you find a hockey style helmet that allows a hat to be worn underneath, you are out of uniform.

At the 2006 NCAA Umpire Development Clinic held in Atlanta, it was finally stated, and clearly. The NCAA Umpire Development staff does not want or like umpires to wear the hockey style masks. Aside from the hat issue, it makes an individual umpire stand out; that is not desirable.
Old Sat Feb 25, 2006, 07:49pm
Official Forum Member

For those of us entirely happy to umpire HS baseball/softball games and with NO desire whatsoever to kiss the a$$e$ of the big boys at the NCAA then we will continue to wear the hockey helmets and be both happy and SAFE!!!

If they are so anal retentive about a home plate umpire wearing a hat then I can only imagine how they must be about "important issues".

Just my 2cents.

"I've never questioned the integrity of an umpire. Their eyesight, yes"---Leo Durocher
Old Sat Feb 25, 2006, 08:19pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

To me it seems that the "old school" thinking
about having to wear a hat comes from the
days when some umpires would not wear a hat with
a traditional mask (horrible for sure).
I still wear an old style metal frame with vinyl pads
and a Yeager style attached throat protector--
but think the hockey style mask looks fine w/o a hat.
Old Sun Feb 26, 2006, 01:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Strike3UROUT
For those of us entirely happy to umpire HS baseball/softball games and with NO desire whatsoever to kiss the a$$e$ of the big boys at the NCAA then we will continue to wear the hockey helmets and be both happy and SAFE!!!

If they are so anal retentive about a home plate umpire wearing a hat then I can only imagine how they must be about "important issues".

Just my 2cents.
Why are you making this sound like a Johnny Paycheck song?

And, it is a hoot to hold up the NFHS as an organization only concerned with "important issues", after all, these are the folks who will DQ a team after the contest for being out of uniform, giving cheap shot coaches leeway to grab a championship trophy for the ol' trophy case because some kid has on the wrong color bra UNDER her jersey! (That is an actual case, BTW)

But, back to the OP's question. If you are calling ASA, you will need to wear your hat. For now, anyway.

All masks are NOT the same, even though many of them appear similar. Go for the lightest weight mask your budget will allow. Go for a single bar mask for better visibility, and make sure it has the ear wings and the extended throat protection... but even with that, add on the hanging protector, too (use the short one if your mask has throat protection built in).

Regarding pads, the plastic variety with the kind of cloth-like surface next to your skin does OK, but the soft leather kind are the best for all day comfort.

I haven't bought a mask for a several years, so some of the other guys may have a current best model to recommend.
Old Sun Feb 26, 2006, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

I was told that if you wear the hockey mask carry the hat in your pocket and put it on when you take the mask off.

I've considered using the hockey helmet and just decided not to. I've taken many shots off my mask probably like everyone else, including a bat when I moved out to see a steal at 2nd and batter took a swing and never been hurt. I have had it where the mask turns or moves from the shot - but its not like a pitcher throws two in a row... so once it absorbs the shot its just fine.

My suggestion, especially for a new umpire, is just wear a light (or ultra light) frame mask with which whichever pads feel comfortable. 2nd to that, I couldnt imagine wearing that helmet for 4-5 games .. and if you are doing any lower level ball, that helmet is way over kill IMO (if not overkill for softball all together)
Old Sun Feb 26, 2006, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

the NFHS as an organization only concerned with "important issues",

A different view. Prior to purchasing a helmet, I talked to our StateÂ’s top administrator, also a member of the NFHS SB Committee. I knew that to advance in the State tournament that I would be evaluated, possibly by him. He assured me that he had no problem with the lack of a hat during State tournament games.

If you are calling ASA, you will need to wear your hat.

Last summer I received an invite to the state ASA JO tournament. I emailed the state UIC about the helmet/hat issue. “Not an issue” was the reply. I worked the tournament and received excellent evaluations without a mention of the hat issue.

Old traditions die hard in large organizations, but die they do when driven by the members of the groups. Umpires are slowly moving to the helmet and eventually the organizations will follow.

A side note:

Tom, you continue to bash the NFHS with that old issue, but the truth is that it was your State Association that made that decision. Actually the NFHS has continuously evolved with respect to women’s clothing. Thirty-five years ago when HS girls still wore pin stripe pants with stirrups, long sleeve shirts and hats, their uniform rules were minimal. But teenage girls are extremely independent about their clothing. (Putting it mildly – this week I had a girl sit out a VB match rather than remove decorative beads from her hair!) The NFHS had to react to shorts and no hats and exposed undergarments when exterior clothing got smaller. They fought the girls on rolled up sleeves and shirts rolled over the waist– and gave in. Today’s rules are lengthy, but basically they are allowing the girls to wear just about whatever they want.

(Note that boys still wear pin stripe pants with stirrups, long sleeve shirts and hats, and their uniform rules are still minimal.)

WMB
Old Sun Feb 26, 2006, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

Out of curiosity .. why wear it?

Is it for the potential ball off back stop? Thats about the only advantage I see to it.

The deal breaker for me, besides the hat issue (I dont want to wear a scrunched up hat from my pocket), was imagining working a 4+ games behind the plate wearing that damn thing in a 100 degree heat.

I dont agree these helmets are the "wave of the future" - I think some will wear them and thats it. They sure dont look good, so that big ole helmet, that doesnt look good, for minimul gain...

Old Sun Feb 26, 2006, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

Out of curiosity .. why wear it? for minimul gain...

IMO, it is superior in functionality (though not necessarily in aesthetics).

Superior shock protection because of a row of padding around the crown of the head similar to a football helmet. As noted, the angular shape deflects balls off the helmet. IÂ’ve had some wicked shots hit me that I donÂ’t even notice, though the sound of it cause people 200 ft away to wonder if I hadnÂ’t been killed! Conversely I can remember a baseball to the center of my old iron cage putting me flat on my back because my head had to absorb the full shock of an 85 mph fast ball. I find visibility to be so much greater that it is easy to leave it on when making calls. And I find it to be cooler while it has been worn all day in some 98 deg tournaments.

Yeah, it looks weird, but I donÂ’t care. My comfort and safety is more important and as long as the state associations that I call for do not object, I will continue to wear the helmet (and promote it.)

WMB
Old Sun Feb 26, 2006, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

A different view. Prior to purchasing a helmet, I talked to our StateÂ’s top administrator, also a member of the NFHS SB Committee. I knew that to advance in the State tournament that I would be evaluated, possibly by him. He assured me that he had no problem with the lack of a hat during State tournament games.

If you are calling ASA, you will need to wear your hat.

Last summer I received an invite to the state ASA JO tournament. I emailed the state UIC about the helmet/hat issue. “Not an issue” was the reply. I worked the tournament and received excellent evaluations without a mention of the hat issue.

WMB
Interesting that these officials would make these rulings contrary to the printed rules; makes me wonder what else they would waive in the heat of the battle. The ASA National Director of Umpires was quite specific in addressing that issue, in front of every state and association UIC's at the 2003 National UIC Clinic (Merle Butler) and the 2005 National UIC Clinic (Kevin Ryan).

On returning home, I checked my latest (2005, since softball is a fall sport in Georgia) NFHS rule book and umpire manual. Both indicate the cap is a mandatory part of the uniform, although uniform requirements (generally expected to be pant or shirt color approvals, or insignias) are subject to state rule. The umpire manual states, in fact, "The fitted cap shall be navy blue and is mandatory for all umpires." Without exception for style of mask, which is also "required in F.P.).

I understand the technology, and the possible advantages. In this part of the country, some parks have cages which cup over home plate, and foul balls come right back down on us without reaction time. But, as long as rule books, umpire manuals, and National Staff people give directions that hats are a mandatory part of the uniform, I just can't justify knowingly breaking the requirements, when I am the person who is holding others to the standards and rules.
Old Sun Feb 26, 2006, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Out of curiosity .. why wear it? for minimul gain...

IMO, it is superior in functionality (though not necessarily in aesthetics).

Superior shock protection because of a row of padding around the crown of the head similar to a football helmet. As noted, the angular shape deflects balls off the helmet. IÂ’ve had some wicked shots hit me that I donÂ’t even notice, though the sound of it cause people 200 ft away to wonder if I hadnÂ’t been killed! Conversely I can remember a baseball to the center of my old iron cage putting me flat on my back because my head had to absorb the full shock of an 85 mph fast ball. I find visibility to be so much greater that it is easy to leave it on when making calls. And I find it to be cooler while it has been worn all day in some 98 deg tournaments.

Yeah, it looks weird, but I donÂ’t care. My comfort and safety is more important and as long as the state associations that I call for do not object, I will continue to wear the helmet (and promote it.)

WMB
I've heard the visibility thing before. When I tried one on I didnt think there was much difference but theres a big difference between a field and some sports shop.

I have had an interest in them mostly because at times I work baseball as well.

The deflection thing is good info because you can get your jaw clacked pretty good on a straight shot to the face with a mask.

How does it do on a multiple game day in the heat?

Old Sun Feb 26, 2006, 07:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Tom, you continue to bash the NFHS with that old issue, but the truth is that it was your State Association that made that decision.
It is not that old (most recent last year), it is not just one example, it is not just my state, and it is not just one sport, but these things in common - High School girls sports, under states who follow NFHS rules, and honoring the protest AFTER the contest is decided, and DQing the offender.

Say what you want, but uniform rules in ASA would never be applied after the contest, and would never DQ a team. They would tell them fix the uni or don't play, but they would not DQ. And after the contest, it is moot.
Old Sun Feb 26, 2006, 08:16pm
Official Forum Member

The best mask I ever had seems to have disappeared from the market. It's very light and made of some sort of black resin. My ultra-light (also from +POS) was dented up and knocked out of line after one season.

This year I decided to splurge on the kevlar All-Star helmet. I suspect I'll be the only softball ump in NJ using one.