View Single Post
Old Sun Feb 26, 2006, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WestMichBlue

A different view. Prior to purchasing a helmet, I talked to our State’s top administrator, also a member of the NFHS SB Committee. I knew that to advance in the State tournament that I would be evaluated, possibly by him. He assured me that he had no problem with the lack of a hat during State tournament games.

If you are calling ASA, you will need to wear your hat.

Last summer I received an invite to the state ASA JO tournament. I emailed the state UIC about the helmet/hat issue. “Not an issue” was the reply. I worked the tournament and received excellent evaluations without a mention of the hat issue.

WMB
Interesting that these officials would make these rulings contrary to the printed rules; makes me wonder what else they would waive in the heat of the battle. The ASA National Director of Umpires was quite specific in addressing that issue, in front of every state and association UIC's at the 2003 National UIC Clinic (Merle Butler) and the 2005 National UIC Clinic (Kevin Ryan).

On returning home, I checked my latest (2005, since softball is a fall sport in Georgia) NFHS rule book and umpire manual. Both indicate the cap is a mandatory part of the uniform, although uniform requirements (generally expected to be pant or shirt color approvals, or insignias) are subject to state rule. The umpire manual states, in fact, "The fitted cap shall be navy blue and is mandatory for all umpires." Without exception for style of mask, which is also "required in F.P.).

I understand the technology, and the possible advantages. In this part of the country, some parks have cages which cup over home plate, and foul balls come right back down on us without reaction time. But, as long as rule books, umpire manuals, and National Staff people give directions that hats are a mandatory part of the uniform, I just can't justify knowingly breaking the requirements, when I am the person who is holding others to the standards and rules.