The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 07, 2005, 05:15pm
Official Forum Member

awarded bases

I've been away from the game for a few years, the answer to this question seems obvious, but I have a question.
Bases loaded, bottom of 7th (last inning), score tied. Batter walks to score winning run, but batter in celebration does not touch first and leaves the playing field. The defense throws the ball to first, ump calls him out, run doesn't count and off to extra innings we go. Seems correct, but is the fact that the base is awarded change anything about the batters responsibility to touch first? The runner on third was also awarded home with what was supposed to be the winning run (not relevant I suppose, but...).
I seem to remember something about awarded bases that might differ, but it's been so many years, I just can't say. I did not see this incident, the story was related to me. I think the ump did the right thing, but did he? Thanks.
Old Wed Sep 07, 2005, 08:24pm
Official Forum Member

The out @ 1st is a force. If there were already 2 outs, then the call was correct. However if there were less than 2 outs then the run would score.
Old Wed Sep 07, 2005, 08:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DNTXUM P
The out @ 1st is a force. If there were already 2 outs, then the call was correct. However if there were less than 2 outs then the run would score.
Regarding less than 2 outs:

If the BR is called out for not touching first base, then would the runner at third be "awarded" home. In FP, I don't think it would matter since the ball would remain alive and advances other than BR would stand. However, in SP, with the ball being dead, would the the advances of the other base runners be allowed once the BR is called out?
Old Wed Sep 07, 2005, 10:11pm
Official Forum Member

can there be a force...

during a dead ball? Ball three, players are awarded the next base, ball is dead. If they want to make a play at first base, wouldn't the defense have to make the ball alive again?
Old Wed Sep 07, 2005, 11:50pm
Official Forum Member

I believe dead ball appeals are allowed in most softball organizations.

Also, if ball four was awarded and the BR went directly to the dugout without attempting to advance, I believe there is precedence for calling the them out immediately, without waiting for an appeal for a missed base.

However, on a game ending play, I'm betting most umpires would probably wait for the appeal.
Old Thu Sep 08, 2005, 06:50am
Official Forum Member

Re: awarded bases

Quote:
Originally posted by RadDad2005
I've been away from the game for a few years, the answer to this question seems obvious, but I have a question.
Bases loaded, bottom of 7th (last inning), score tied. Batter walks to score winning run, but batter in celebration does not touch first and leaves the playing field. The defense throws the ball to first, ump calls him out, run doesn't count and off to extra innings we go. Seems correct, but is the fact that the base is awarded change anything about the batters responsibility to touch first? The runner on third was also awarded home with what was supposed to be the winning run (not relevant I suppose, but...).
I seem to remember something about awarded bases that might differ, but it's been so many years, I just can't say. I did not see this incident, the story was related to me. I think the ump did the right thing, but did he? Thanks.
Speaking ASA and assuming two outs prior to the pitch.

The awarded base is to the batter only, not any active runners. Only runners forced to advance as a result of the walk are protected. However, when the out is made, the forced no longer exists, so those runners may still advance, but no run is permitted to score as the third out of the inning was the result of the BR not attaining 1B safely prior to being retired.

Old Thu Sep 08, 2005, 07:40am
Official Forum Member

"...but no run is permitted to score as the third out of the inning was the result of the BR not attaining 1B safely prior to being retired."

so if the run scored PRIOR to the putout at first, which I believe was the case here, the run should have counted?
Old Thu Sep 08, 2005, 08:33am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to shipwreck
This is a "force out", not a "timing play", so at what "time" the runner from third scored, has no bearing on this play. Dave
Old Thu Sep 08, 2005, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Isn't the key that the BR has to leave the playing field and be out for "abandoning"; with no "play" required?
Old Thu Sep 08, 2005, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to CelticNHBlue
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
...no run is permitted to score as the third out of the inning was the result of the BR not attaining 1B safely

The 'key' here is the fact that the batter did not attain first base safely (left the field of play and properly declared out). There is no relavance to the timeline of actions, no appeals necessary. The batter is out, the inning is over, continue playing...