The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jul 24, 2005, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to shipwreck
A couple of questions. First, do you consider it acceptable when you are making a routine safe or out call, to make the vocal call in the set position with hands on knees or thighs and then coming up and giving the safe or out signal? I have seen umpires do this and tried it and liked it. The NFHS umpire manual says to do them both at the same time but I prefer making the verbal call firstand then coming up. In calling strikes the manual says you may verbalize in the set position and then come up and show the sign. Second question. Does anyone that is PU put their hands behind their thighs when they go to the set position for the pitch, to protect their hands? I have seen many different approaches to this I was thinking about experimenting with this. Where do you find you hands are the safest? Dave
Old Sun Jul 24, 2005, 05:16pm
Official Forum Member

In the field I make both at the same time. I come up to make the signal and give the vocal at that time.

As far as when I am PU. I give my vocals while in the set position and then come up to give the signal. I keep my hands crossed in front of me. I have been hit a few times on the back of the hand but would much rather take a hit there then where I would have got hit had I not had my hands in front of me. You know what I mean?
Old Sun Jul 24, 2005, 05:18pm
Official Forum Member

1) Depends on what you mean by routine. If we're talking first base for example, if runner's out by a step or more, I'm not making any verbal call, just signaling. If it's close but not a banger, I'm signaling at same time I vocalize. That's the way it's reccomended and that's the way I'm used to.

2) I do. Hands behind thighs, elbows tucked as close to the body as possible. I've had 3 shots taken off of the same wrist, the first one broke it and the other two hurt for quite some time (all foul balls [edited to appease streamdoc ], wasn't horrible catching). I'm sick of getting my wrists beat up so I moved them. In all honesty, to me it feels more comftorbale there than when I had them out in front of me. Also, helps me keep my back a little more straight up and down, less tendency to bend over.

JMO.

-Josh

[Edited by U_of_I_Blue on Jul 25th, 2005 at 04:20 PM]
Old Sun Jul 24, 2005, 07:00pm
Official Forum Member

routine call..verbal then signal..close calls or sells same time..
Old Mon Jul 25, 2005, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

Foul Tip

Hey Josh,

How in the world could a foul tip hit you in the wrist?

I keep my left hand behind my back. This seems to keep my arm in tight to the body as well. I had to do this because I developed a nasty habit of throwing the left hand out and clicking the indicator, even on balls. Not sure how I got that habit, it just showed up 1 day. I then drop the right hand down behind my right knee, or to the side. Unfortunately, I cannot reverse the hands with a lefty at the plate so I'm a bit exposed there.

[Edited by streamdoc on Jul 25th, 2005 at 06:18 PM]
Old Mon Jul 25, 2005, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

If you work in the slot you shouldn't be getting hit in the wrist, or very seldom should you be.

As for mechanics, use what is comfortable for you. Remember, that the manual is a guide and we all have our own ways. However, when in Rome do as the Romans do.
Old Mon Jul 25, 2005, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

one shot deserves another

sorry stremadoc, but i'm not familiar with where the "right know" is on the body, could you please enlighten me?

-Josh
Old Mon Jul 25, 2005, 05:17pm
Official Forum Member

OOHHHH, you got me!

You should have seen that reply before I cleaned up all of the typos. I had my left hand shifted 1 key to the right on the keyboard.