The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 27, 2005, 11:39pm
Official Forum Member

Working fast-pitch leagues of 10 and under to 14 and under using ASA rules. The league sets some of its own rules. One rule that some of the leagues have come up with is that the runner must slide at 2B, 3B, an home plate or even 1B when runner is going back to 1B if there is play at the bag/plate. When they say play at the bag/plate, they mean if ball is thrown from a fielder and is coming toward the bag/plate. In other words, if the ball is on the way to bag/plate, they require the runner to slide even if ball is not in possession of defensive player at that bag/plate. I do not agree with this. I say (and tell them) that if the defensive player at the bag/plate is not in possession of the ball, that player must get out of the way of runner and allow that runner to safely and cleanly cross the bag/plate without any obstruction. I go on to say that the runner should not be required to slide if defensive player at bag/plate is not in possession of ball because that player should be out of the way. I have been standing my ground. Am I correct or should we allow these leagues that are using ASA rules to come up with special rules that are in conflict with ASA rules?
Old Fri May 27, 2005, 11:50pm
Official Forum Member

This sounds like the myth of "MUST SLIDE". I do not have my LL or NFHS rule book in front of me (not sure about ASA) although I understand that a runner must slide or attempt to avoid a fielder who has the ball waiting to make a play (or something like that) which in my opinion eliminates the "MUST SLIDE" myth. I can quote you the rule from LL or NFHS, at a later date, if you choose. Some of the "adjusted" rules that leagues try to impose puzzle me as to what they are trying to improve or accomplish beyond the rules printed in any rule book.
Old Sat May 28, 2005, 02:24am
Official Forum Member

I think we have the best slide suplemental rule around.

" No mandatory slide rule, however, if a runner chooses to slide, it must be legal and directly to the base. No body blocks, body rolling, shoulders down etc. If the ump determines the slide to be illegal, player is to be called out and ejected"

Now, the girls had a little extra thrown in, "no head first slides unless returning to base" ie; R1 takes secondary lead after ball is released, F2 fakes/makes throw to F3, R1 is allowed to go back head first.

Now these are supplemental rules for PONY and ASA.
Old Sat May 28, 2005, 08:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Stair-Climber
Working fast-pitch leagues of 10 and under to 14 and under using ASA rules. The league sets some of its own rules. One rule that some of the leagues have come up with is that the runner must slide at 2B, 3B, an home plate or even 1B when runner is going back to 1B if there is play at the bag/plate. When they say play at the bag/plate, they mean if ball is thrown from a fielder and is coming toward the bag/plate. In other words, if the ball is on the way to bag/plate, they require the runner to slide even if ball is not in possession of defensive player at that bag/plate. I do not agree with this. I say (and tell them) that if the defensive player at the bag/plate is not in possession of the ball, that player must get out of the way of runner and allow that runner to safely and cleanly cross the bag/plate without any obstruction. I go on to say that the runner should not be required to slide if defensive player at bag/plate is not in possession of ball because that player should be out of the way. I have been standing my ground. Am I correct or should we allow these leagues that are using ASA rules to come up with special rules that are in conflict with ASA rules?
Leagues can do whatever they please, ASA allows for that in Rule 12.

However, due to the liability attached, as an umpire I would distance myself from this league.

Even though the insurance would cover you (ASA), there is still a $5MM liability cap and they way the courts are nowadays....well, let's say I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of a game of Russian Roulette.

Old Sat May 28, 2005, 09:21am
Official Forum Member

If the league has that as a written rule, and you accept that assignment, you should call the game according to the rules. You assume added liability in an injury if you fail to apply the written rules, even those you don't agree with.

You (and/or your association officers) need to work with the league to drop the "must slide" rules, as we know they create more injuries and resultant liability than they avoid. Your interpretation of the ASA obstruction standard and its resulting in less contact is correct, but not a basis to ignore the changes the league can properly (even if misinformedly) make. But, if your association accepts the games, and you accept the games, you need to enforce their written rules to minimize liability.
Old Sat May 28, 2005, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
I'm not sure that "must slide" rules, which are dangerous, are made to reduce obstruction, as opposed to collisions. And to have a rule that is defined by the ball being on the way, which the runner often can't see, is really poor. The result is probably that the runners often slide when they don't have to, increasing the likelihood of injury. That also increases the temptation to fake tag or at least fake a catch. YUK!
As said, there is an obstruction rule in all books I know, which if properly observed prevents a lot more collisions
and injuries than sliding.

Do I get this right?
This rule only covers throws, so on a fly to an infielder when the runner is trying to get back to the base, no slide is required even if the fielder is standing on the base.