The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 27, 2005, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

In Federated,ASA, any format..In a Fast Pitch game should we award time out on an infielders request. They do this so the baserunner won't steal on the throw back to the pitcher. Please assume all runners are on the bases & not in between and the pitcher does not have the ball.
Old Fri May 27, 2005, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

I haven't had this happen (yet), but I don't think I would be granting time every throwback unless necessary. The game's designed to be live, not dead.
Old Fri May 27, 2005, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

No.
Old Fri May 27, 2005, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

IF in my judgement no other play is possible, I will grant time.
This is a major point we discuss on, here in Italy.
This is MY way to handle the situation.
But I've seen many umps do not the same as they say you give an advantage to defense and you don't give the runners the opportunity to advance in case of mistake (wild throw to the pitcher).
In my humble opinion it's simply EMBARASSING watch a player ask for time and ump says 'no', ask again and ump again says 'no' and then watch the player walk toward the circle and... what's this? I like softball, but this doesn't look like softball to me... Let the game flow. That means to me ALSO (after a hit) let the defense take a couple of seconds of time granted and then go on with the PLAY.

Every other point of view wellcome, of course.

A.
Old Fri May 27, 2005, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

Also no.

No time granted until pitcher has ball in circle and runners have ended up at a base. Only exception would be potential severe injury.
Old Fri May 27, 2005, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

Get the ball to F1, in the circle. Then I'll be glad to grant time. Aside from injuries, the only exception is if the ball is wet & we're going to replace it - then get it to any infielder. And, of course, all runners have to have shown that they have stopped.
Old Fri May 27, 2005, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chuck chopper
In Federated,ASA, any format..In a Fast Pitch game should we award time out on an infielders request. They do this so the baserunner won't steal on the throw back to the pitcher. Please assume all runners are on the bases & not in between and the pitcher does not have the ball.
It would depend on the situation. If there was cause other than just killing the ball, yes.

OTOH, most of the veterans here know my feeling about this. For the newbies, I prefer FP down time be handled the same as SP. Just kill the ball and reset.

I still haven't seen a convincing argument showing me how this would have an ill affect on the game. BTW, "just because that's the way it's always been" is not a valid argument

Old Fri May 27, 2005, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
[/B]

I still haven't seen a convincing argument showing me how this would have an ill affect on the game. BTW, "just because that's the way it's always been" is not a valid argument

[/B][/QUOTE]

Okay, I'll say this as I am briskly moving away from the fallout.

Cause that's the way it is in uh,..baseball...(just kidding!!)

As others have said, if there is a need (change ball, injury, and such) I will grant time. Most of the time they need to get the ball back to F1 in the circle first.

Old Fri May 27, 2005, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JEL

As others have said, if there is a need (change ball, injury, and such) I will grant time. Most of the time they need to get the ball back to F1 in the circle first.
Why? Killing the ball after all obvious play is complete eliminates the need for the circle and LBR.
Old Fri May 27, 2005, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by JEL

Why? Killing the ball after all obvious play is complete eliminates the need for the circle and LBR.
I guess about the only reason would be if time were granted, you might lose the chance to get an out under the LBR. There are some dumb runners out there.
Old Fri May 27, 2005, 03:37pm
Official Forum Member

Time out should not be used as a defense against being unable to make a simple throw to a pitcher.
Old Fri May 27, 2005, 07:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JEL
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by JEL

I guess about the only reason would be if time were granted, you might lose the chance to get an out under the LBR. There are some dumb runners out there.
And here I was under the impression the umpire was there to officiate a ball game fairly, not to get cheap outs. Like I said, the LBR would be non-existent, so how can you possibly get an out on a dumb runner?

Old Fri May 27, 2005, 11:18pm
Official Forum Member

In the slo-pitch I worked, calling time when the ball was returned to the infield, and there was no action, was mandated by the rules.

Bob
Old Sat May 28, 2005, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mcrowder
Time out should not be used as a defense against being unable to make a simple throw to a pitcher.
Agree.

How about the runner slides in safe and the fielder holds the tag on the runner who is still on the ground?

Have had runners attempt to stand with the tag still on them and break contact with the base - OUT!

Request for time denied. I will wait until the ball is in the circle and the runner is standing. Unless there is an obvious injury.
Old Sat May 28, 2005, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
I absolutely agree that " the umpire was there to officiate a ball game fairly, not to get cheap outs" and those who do otherwise really annoy me. Along with those who only mission seems to be leaving as soon as possible.

I see no need to call time while a game is going on just to help the defense or non-concentrating umpires. Even though slow pitch calls unnecessary timeouts, I don't see the need for that either. The game starts, the game is played, the game ends. Timeouts are for conferences and injuries.