The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 07, 2005, 11:35pm
Official Forum Member

Maybe poor wording

Quote:
Originally posted by WestMichBlue
I still don't think I made any mistakes with the answers though.

I disagree, Scott. #78 S/B False. It may be true in ASA, but not FED.

#42 - if the FLEX bats, she can only bat for the DP, thus the DP (and FLEX) positions (roles?) are out of the game (terminated?). So why is the answer False?

WMB
the question was, "The role of the DP is terminated when the FLEX bats"

This one was taken verbatim from the Federation Part I.
I think it is a matter of semantics with the Fed.

You are going to have to bust their chops on this one..

Old Mon Feb 07, 2005, 11:38pm
Official Forum Member

True,

That is the way NFHS worded it. However, only the player
has left the game, not the DP (position)

glen
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Mon Feb 07, 2005, 11:46pm
Official Forum Member

What they are trying to say, however poorly, is the "role" of DP/FLEX is still there, since the player(s) playing the position may re-enter or be sub'ed for - IOW, the role is still there for the coach to use if he chooses - even though the line up is reduced to 9.

An overly confusing (and of no value) way of looking at it, IMO.
Old Mon Feb 07, 2005, 11:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WestMichBlue
It may be true in ASA, but not FED.
Tomayto, tomahto on this one, WMB. The rules are identical.
Old Tue Feb 08, 2005, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

Scott: ”This one was taken verbatim from the Federation Part I.”

Sorry Scott, I am not going to let you off the hook. Copying bad questions/wrong answers does not make it right. It is still wrong and we need to note it so that readers do not take the answer into a ballgame as support for a call.

Glenn: ”That is the way NFHS worded it. However, only the player has left the game, not the DP position”

That is the way the NFHS test worded it. The book is very clear (3-3-6 d, e, f) that when the DP plays for the FLEX, or the FLEX plays for the DP – that the DP and the FLEX positions have left the game.

The word “terminated” is not in the rulebook. Apparently the Test Writer is thinking that the role (position) of the DP is not totally dead; we could always bring it back to life in the future. However, a question has to stand on its own without any maybes, ands, ifs or could. As written, it is TRUE.

Dakota: ”Tomayto, tomahto on this one, WMB. The rules are identical.

No way Tom, you have to get up earlier in the morning to beat me on this one. The rules are NOT identical.

7-2-2 Effect specifically states that the improper batter is not called out. “Any other outs on the play stand.: Mike’s beloved 3 outs on a BOO will not happen in NFHS games.

The Test said “all outs made on the play stand. The Test is WRONG!

WMB
Old Tue Feb 08, 2005, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

I meant the comment wrt DP/FLEX only. I got my test question #'s confused. Sorry.
Old Tue Feb 08, 2005, 07:05pm
In Time Out

Great resource, thanks for putting it up! However,,,

Question 48, "The DP and the FLEX are located into the same position in the batting order." is answering True, but is False.

This changed, this year I believe.

3-3-6b: "The name of the player for whom the DP is batting (FLEX) will be placed in the 10th position in the lineup."

3-3-6g: "Placing the FLEX into one of the first nine positions for someone other than the DP's position is considered an illegal substitution."

Was the T on the test intended for a question about where the FLEX can be inserted if the DP is removed, and the FLEX is going to now bat?
Old Tue Feb 08, 2005, 08:20pm
Official Forum Member

Donpt over read

Quote:
Originally posted by Panda Bear
Great resource, thanks for putting it up! However,,,

Question 48, "The DP and the FLEX are located into the same position in the batting order." is answering True, but is False.

This changed, this year I believe.

3-3-6b: "The name of the player for whom the DP is batting (FLEX) will be placed in the 10th position in the lineup."

3-3-6g: "Placing the FLEX into one of the first nine positions for someone other than the DP's position is considered an illegal substitution."

Was the T on the test intended for a question about where the FLEX can be inserted if the DP is removed, and the FLEX is going to now bat?
In the batting order, they are in the same place. In the lineup, they are liste in different places.

Seems like you are doing what I did when I first read it.
Old Tue Feb 08, 2005, 10:52pm
Official Forum Member

I am going to defend Panda on this one. I had the same problem and Scott and I discussed this a couple days ago.

The FED test has the following questions next to each other.

#66. The DP and the FLEX are locked into the same position in the batting order.
#67. The FLEX is placed in the tenth position in the lineup.

When you take the test you see both questions and it is obvious that one is about batting order and the other is about lineup position. Scott, however, scrambled the questions and #66 (his #48) is viewed independent of #67 (his #22). To compond the problem, the word locked was replaced with located.

So question #48 The DP and the FLEX are located into the same position in the batting order when taken out of the context of the other DP/FLEX question appears to be false.

Whether it is NFHS or ASA or whatever, TESTS are not rules. And apparently not written by rules makers. In fact it appears that test writers do not even had a good rules knowledge base.

WMB
Old Wed Feb 09, 2005, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

Suggestion

I don't have the question number at the moment. I took the test last week sometime and noticed that a couple of questions left some relevant information out that could alter the answer. For example, I believe you had one asking if the runner was out if hit by a deflected ball. In ASA the answer depends on whether another player had a chance to make a play on the ball. To illustrate, B1 is on first. The first baseman is playing in front of the runner. The second baseman is playing deep in the whole. The batter hits a grounder to the first baseman. The ball deflects off and hits the runner. Is the runner out? If the second baseman had a chance to make a play, then yes. If the second baseman had no chance on the ball,then the runner is not out.

Old Wed Feb 09, 2005, 10:44am
In Time Out

as WestMichighan notes

Tests are not rules. Unfortunately, while we are SUPPOSED to know the rules, we are REQUIRED to pass the test, whether we know how to implement them or not.