The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat May 08, 2004, 08:59pm
Official Forum Member

Good and not so good things happened today.

Good things
1. I just finished watching myself work a game on local cabel. They do a game of the week here and I happened to be at the right field at the right time. I actually didn't see much of myself. I was in the field and my partner was the "star" behind the plate. It was a good learning experience.

2. Got a call from my assigner telling me I was going to work the championship game for our county divisional title game. Nothing major but a good step up for me.

Not so good thing
1. I had my first ejection today. Coach went over the line complaining. Wouldn't stop griping about my calls, my past history, my favoritism for the other team etc. Even though I feel confident that I did the right thing it didn't leave me with a particularly good feeling. Maybe it gets easier with time.
Old Sat May 08, 2004, 10:33pm
Official Forum Member

" Maybe it gets easier with time. "

Not really. We all use the cliche that we don't eject them, they eject themselves we just make it official and for the most part that is true. All the good umps don't call games for the money but because they actually enjoy doing it and when you get a participant that gets so out of line that they need tossing it certainly takes away from what you came out to do.

If I ever get to the point that I enjoy tossing someone it'll be a sure sign to me that I need to pass my indicaters on to someone new.

Now if you ask me if I ever dwell on it anymore that'd be different, I couldn't tell you who I tossed out of yesterdays game.

[Edited by ChampaignBlue on May 8th, 2004 at 11:41 PM]
Old Sun May 09, 2004, 08:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Little Jimmy

Not so good thing
1. I had my first ejection today. Coach went over the line complaining. Wouldn't stop griping about my calls, my past history, my favoritism for the other team etc. Even though I feel confident that I did the right thing it didn't leave me with a particularly good feeling. Maybe it gets easier with time.
Softball myth: Ejecting a participant is a bad thing.

Truth: It is only bad if you do it out of spite or just because you are outright mean. As CB noted, coaches and players usually get themselves tossed out of the game.

When an umpire ejects someone, it actually helps other umpires (and yourself) down the road. You have just laid down the law and told these folks that it is not permissible to act like an *** on the field. You have issued notice that their shenanigans will not be tolerated as part of the game.

You have given personal notice to the two teams involved that when they see you, they should be prepared to play ball by the rules and leave the BS in the equipment bag.

Now, you are always going to have your Billy Martin/Gene Mauch types that think acting like a pompous *** to motivate their team is part of their job description. These are the types that will never understand that jumping up and down like a madman is not a better way of managing a team, and you will most likely dump them on more than one ocassion.

However, when you run one of these folks, never give them the satisfaction of letting them think you really care. Do not be like the MLB guys and get in their face and argue back. Let them rant and rave, but just stand there smiling. Eventually, they will become bored with your lack of response and slow down their routine. That is when you continue to smile and tell the coach to have a nice shower and calmly walk away.

Please note that I am not suggesting this be done with anyone other than those incredibly obnoxious idiots who believe they are the 300 lb gorillas and can do whatever they want including making the umpire look as if they are responsible for everything from the extinction of the dinosaur to the asassination of JFK.

Also note, I am not suggesting ejecting people become a common practice in sending a message. You should only eject folks who have crossed the line and deserve it. Most
players and coaches are not deserving of being considered wrong or bad unless they go out of their way to do so.

Old Sun May 09, 2004, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TexBlue
Complet agreement with CB and Mike. I don't take a lot of crap off the coaches, but I do let them have their say. If the situation dictates, they may get a little more say than at other times. To me, the only time necessary to eject a coach is when I've lost control of a game. At that point, it's time to get control back. Like Little Jimmy's coach, if they want to continue dwelling on the past and not taking care of the present and won't shut up, get rid of him. Of course, when he crossed that line without requesting time ( I assume this is the way it happened ) he was gone already.

That being said, I've ejected more coaches in the last 10 days than I have in the last 3 years. I've called over 2400 games now and tossed 9 coaches. I lost 3 of them in the last 10 days. 2 of the 3 came back after the game and apologized several times for their behavior. And you know what, Mike's right (again), they said they had learned a lesson and wern't going to act like that anymore. All of these were younger age coaches and were just trying to do the baseball thing on the softball field. They now understand they'll get a lot more from the blue if they talk in a calm, polite and courteous manner, than "the 300 pound gorilla" act.

I new an umpire who used to use the inning indicator on his clicker to keep track or hiw ejections for a night. I never, never, never looked forward to calling with him. He thought it was a measure of his testosterone level, as to how many he threw out.

I personally think it is more of a good indicator of the quality me as a blue, if you look at how many coaches you left in the game. Sometimes that's the hardes thing on the field to do is to find a way to control the game, settle folks down and keep them in the game, withoug letting them be the show. The kids are the show, not the coaches. That's why we're out there, to let the kids have fun, no matter what level it is, it's still a game . I tossed my 1st coach out for cussing out his own player on the field in front of team for not catching a bad hop ball. I'd warned him once to settle down.
Twice was enough. Let the kids have fun.

Oh yeah, the blues need to have fun too.
Old Sun May 09, 2004, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Why coaches go bye-bye

Reading this I've thought of all the coaches I've ejected in the past, and why I had to do it.

Number 1: Men's FP (6 years ago): Coach came screaming across the field on an obvious call (obvious even to his brother, who was coaching first base) wanting me to change my call. Coach had his say, started back to third base, then came screaming at me again asking to be thrown out calling me all kinds of names. No choice now, seeing what he said.

Number 2: NFHS FP (8 years ago): As favor to AD, I'm doing a game in my hometown (I'd been out of HS for 3 years). Hometown team, in one inning, went from 7-0 lead when inning started to being down 7-10 when inning ended. I gave his two barks over calls I (and other players) know I got right, but told him he needed to stop running onto the field while play was going on to scream at me about the play. About 1 inning later he did same thing, told me something rude, and I sent him to the parking lot. Noticed he was standing within sight of field, so asked AD to have him go to his car (local police car, may I add). AD refused, said it was good enough. Noticed girls running back and forth to him, for advice on situations. Didn't do anything about it, though. Since AD wouldn't help, didn't really know what to do.

Number 3: NFHS FP(7 years ago): As favor to assignor, gave up a plush varsity game two miles from my house to drive 50 miles for mid-level varsity game. Coach didn't like a pulled-foot call, from across the diamond asks me how the **** could I see it. NO brainer there.

Number 4: ASA FP (last year): Coach used GD three times in 10 seconds, loud enough so that umpires and girls on next field could hear. He didn't even let me throw him out...he just walked to the parking lot.

4 coaches, 11 years...and all of them did "eject themselves." But what about after the ejection?

Number 1 called me the next day to schedule games for a tournament. No problem, I did the tourney and everything was fine (turns out he just wanted to go home--yet three years later he did try to instruct me that plate umpires are supposed to stand directly behind the catcher and be on one knee so they can see the outside corner. WHAT?).

Number 2 pulled me over the next day for speeding, going 37 in a 35...ticket was thrown out by chief...the coach even pulled over my brother because he thought it was me (little bro and I look alike, except he's 6'9" and weight 350lbs). Three weeks later had another game with him (he was visiting). He said nothing to me.

Number 3 never apologized, but his daughter did (she was shortstop during game). He was tossed 4 MORE times that year, and isn't coaching anymore (I wonder why?)

Number 4 apologized immediately after the game..said he was mad at someone else...catcher told me to ignore him..."he's an idiot." Had another game with him that tourney (my third of the weekend) and everything was fine.
Old Sun May 09, 2004, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Why coaches go bye-bye

Quote:
Originally posted by FUBLUE

Number 2: NFHS FP (8 years ago): As favor to AD, I'm doing a game in my hometown (I'd been out of HS for 3 years). Hometown team, in one inning, went from 7-0 lead when inning started to being down 7-10 when inning ended. I gave his two barks over calls I (and other players) know I got right, but told him he needed to stop running onto the field while play was going on to scream at me about the play. About 1 inning later he did same thing, told me something rude, and I sent him to the parking lot. Noticed he was standing within sight of field, so asked AD to have him go to his car (local police car, may I add). AD refused, said it was good enough. Noticed girls running back and forth to him, for advice on situations. Didn't do anything about it, though. Since AD wouldn't help, didn't really know what to do.

That's the easiest one of them all. You stop the game until the AD does what is requested. If the AD continues to refuse, you forfeit the game and allow the powers that be sort out the problem. And I really don't care what type of rules might be in place by NFHS or any local conference/league. If they want me to umpire their games, they are going to have to honor my decisions. If not, why bother having me there.

Old Sun May 09, 2004, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

That's the easiest one of them all. You stop the game until the AD does what is requested. If the AD continues to refuse, you forfeit the game and allow the powers that be sort out the problem. And I really don't care what type of rules might be in place by NFHS or any local conference/league. If they want you to umpire their games, they are going to have to honor your decisions. If not, why bother having you there?

Old Sun May 09, 2004, 08:00pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Why coaches go bye-bye

Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
Quote:

That's the easiest one of them all. You stop the game until the AD does what is requested. If the AD continues to refuse, you forfeit the game and allow the powers that be sort out the problem. And I really don't care what type of rules might be in place by NFHS or any local conference/league. If they want you to umpire their games, they are going to have to honor your decisions. If not, why bother having you there?

I agreed with your decision then, as I agree now. Don't really know why I didn't forfeit the game...probably just a young and stupid mistake. Maybe it was the score...something like 28 to 10 for a final (hometown team lost).

Here's what I did do:

1. Informed AD that I would not work local games again.
2. Filled out appropriate reports to state.
3. AD tried begged me to give them to him...said he'd take care of it...coach was getting a reputation since he had been thrown out of 3 games in the first 12.
4. Returned all contracts with that partner on it...partner actually said it was okay for him to stand by fence and send in reports...partner also overturned a judgment call of mine without me even asking for help...just said, "yep, safe."
5. Apologized to my brother.

The worst thing is AD was a basketball official...when I asked him if he would eject a coach, and then allow him to stand at the gym doors, he didn't say anything...Exactly my point. The only thing AD said was, "It's a public park, he can stand their if he wishes to." NO HE CAN'T.
Old Sun May 09, 2004, 09:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Number 2 pulled me over the next day for speeding, going 37 in a 35...ticket was thrown out by chief...the coach even pulled over my brother because he thought it was me (little bro and I look alike, except he's 6'9" and weight 350lbs). Three weeks later had another game with him (he was visiting). He said nothing to me.
First off the game is forfeited if he dosen't leave. This guy really has a problem. If this happned to me, I would notify the local police. This guy is out looking for you. And he is getting your family members involved also. He is out to get you. If I ever umpired another one of this guy's games, he better not say a thing to me because I would toss him. I'm not saying that I would be hoping to eject him. But if he said or did anything that would warrant an ejection I would do it. I would not cut him any slack and ignore it or try to calm him down.
Old Sun May 09, 2004, 09:57pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Why coaches go bye-bye

Quote:
Originally posted by LDUB
Quote:
First off the game is forfeited if he dosen't leave. This guy really has a problem. If this happned to me, I would notify the local police. This guy is out looking for you. And he is getting your family members involved also. He is out to get you. If I ever umpired another one of this guy's games, he better not say a thing to me because I would toss him. I'm not saying that I would be hoping to eject him. But if he said or did anything that would warrant an ejection I would do it. I would not cut him any slack and ignore it or try to calm him down.
Since this was several years ago, here's the skinny:

1. Coach was asked not to coach anymore...I talked to current head coach, she said the guy was ejected 9 times in 26 games (all levels).

2. HE WAS THE LOCAL POLICE...he took early retirement, and now works in Florida...sorry SWFL!
Old Sun May 09, 2004, 10:41pm
Official Forum Member

I know he was the local police. But you said his chief overturned one of the tickets. Tell his boss. Mabye he could set him straight.
Old Mon May 10, 2004, 08:26am
Official Forum Member

I can't believe that parents would continue to let their kid be coached by the coaches described in this thread. I have coached softball for about 13 years and have never been thrown out of a game. there are tactical ways to get a message to a umpire without being a a**. most of the time I just talk to my team when a missed call was called or a close strike I needed i did'nt get. But overall I have never played a game where the umpires lost it for me. not saying I dont have a big mouth and dont get excited when a call dont go my way, because i do, however, I make sure i always have respect. the same goes for my girls.
Old Mon May 10, 2004, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Why coaches go bye-bye

Quote:

The worst thing is AD was a basketball official...when I asked him if he would eject a coach, and then allow him to stand at the gym doors, he didn't say anything...Exactly my point. The only thing AD said was, "It's a public park, he can stand their if he wishes to." NO HE CAN'T.
Sure he can. That is actually a valid argument. He can stand there as long as the local laws and park regs allow if he wants.

However, that doesn't mean you have to continue the game while he exercises his right to freedom of assembly and use of public parkland.
Old Mon May 10, 2004, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hughester
I can't believe that parents would continue to let their kid be coached by the coaches described in this thread. I have coached softball for about 13 years and have never been thrown out of a game. there are tactical ways to get a message to a umpire without being a a**. most of the time I just talk to my team when a missed call was called or a close strike I needed i did'nt get. But overall I have never played a game where the umpires lost it for me. not saying I dont have a big mouth and dont get excited when a call dont go my way, because i do, however, I make sure i always have respect. the same goes for my girls.
When I was coaching, I had a huge mouth...but never blamed umpires. I also knew when to shut up.

Again, he coached for one year. Nothing against football coaches, but he seemed to have the football mentality where it was acceptable to scream at officials (which of course it isn't). I've done football for 8 years, and I don't accept being screamed at there either.
Old Mon May 10, 2004, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Why coaches go bye-bye

Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
Quote:

Sure he can. That is actually a valid argument. He can stand there as long as the local laws and park regs allow if he wants.

However, that doesn't mean you have to continue the game while he exercises his right to freedom of assembly and use of public parkland.
Mr. Mafia, NICE!