The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 05, 2004, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

Looks like I'm going to inherit the post of District Director of Softball (Dixie) for our 4-town area in Northwest Dallas. I'm also UIC in one of the 4 towns.

Questions for some of you more experienced folks.

1) Any conflict of interest that you all forsee in directing both teams and umpires? Any tips on avoiding such potential conflicts?

2) I intend to unite, if possible, the umpiring for all 4 towns to provide some consistency. I've heard some problems in other areas (most are probably coaches' misunderstandings or exaggerations ... but consistency can't be bad). Any potential problems I need to be on the lookout for there?

3) Have you seen such a relationship elsewhere where a Director of Softball operations is either also an umpire or came from the background of umpiring?

Anything else you might want to comment on?
Old Wed May 05, 2004, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mcrowder
Looks like I'm going to inherit the post of District Director of Softball (Dixie) for our 4-town area in Northwest Dallas. I'm also UIC in one of the 4 towns.

Questions for some of you more experienced folks.

1) Any conflict of interest that you all forsee in directing both teams and umpires? Any tips on avoiding such potential conflicts?

2) I intend to unite, if possible, the umpiring for all 4 towns to provide some consistency. I've heard some problems in other areas (most are probably coaches' misunderstandings or exaggerations ... but consistency can't be bad). Any potential problems I need to be on the lookout for there?

3) Have you seen such a relationship elsewhere where a Director of Softball operations is either also an umpire or came from the background of umpiring?

Anything else you might want to comment on?
There could be a conflict. If the umpires feel the Director is talking to them instead of the UIC, they could perceive undue pressure to perform in a certain manner.

ASA has a rule which forbids a commissioner from umpiring any championship play games in their own area for fear of exactly that.

Just an observation.

Old Wed May 05, 2004, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

Alabama District 5

Our District Director is basically the UIC also. You may want to contact him to discuss these issues. Check Dixie.org for Joel's contact information.
Old Wed May 05, 2004, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

I was on the board of a small officials association several years ago that was founded to serve a small private JH and HS league. Our president was also instrumental in founding the HS league itself. For a few years he served as both the president of the officials association and the commissioner of the HS league.

As league commissioner, he did not have a vote on league issues, but was allowed to present his opinions. He was also an active offical for games in the league.

He worked hard to avoid any conflicts, however, there were several occasions where certain schools or teams perceived a conflict.

From my experience, I would reccommend against trying to do both jobs. Even though I'm sure you will work to avoid any potential conflicts, the perception of a conflict will almost always arise.
Old Wed May 05, 2004, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Pray tell, what type of conflict can exist? Afterall, the director directs the teams in the league and has no interest as to the outcome of games played on the field. As an umpire he is, again, impartial in all aspects as to the outcome of the game. Where is there even a PERCEIVED conflict in any of these duties?

I say it is hard enough to get good people to serve on boards and commissions let alone recruit a good ump. Let the naysayers say what they want and explain to them that they would be welcome to take over the director job or enlist as an ump. Gimme a break...
Old Wed May 05, 2004, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

Not looking for a break, or for reasoning to talk down any perceived conflict. I'm looking to prepare myself for potential conflicts, and I appreciate the concerns raised.

I do question what the reasoning is behind the rule Mike mentioned about the commissioner umpiring a championship game. What is the fear or perceived conflict, as I believe I'd be impartial in both roles (certainly at least until my 4-year old daughter begins playing, at which point I can DEFINITELY see the perception of a conflict).
Old Wed May 05, 2004, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Not looking for a break, or for reasoning to talk down any perceived conflict. I'm looking to prepare myself for potential conflicts, and I appreciate the concerns raised.

I do question what the reasoning is behind the rule Mike mentioned about the commissioner umpiring a championship game. What is the fear or perceived conflict, as I believe I'd be impartial in both roles (certainly at least until my 4-year old daughter begins playing, at which point I can DEFINITELY see the perception of a conflict).
For all intent and purpose, the UIC serves at the discretion of the commissioner as do all the umpires under that umbrella.

You are asking the UIC to be placed in a precarious position if there is a call or ruling made on the field by the umpire/commissioner. Depending on the commissioner, the UIC may suffer the ire of the commissioner and not make the proper ruling. OTOH, if the UIC agrees with the ruling, there IS going to be the perception that there was no way the UIC was going to overrule his virtual boss.

The UIC can be put into a no-win situation. Same with an umpire who may be partnered with a commissioner. Same issues.

You also need to understand the the commissioner also serves the leagues and teams, not just the officials. If they perceive a bias toward the umpires, that team/league/whatever may be searching for a new sanctioning body or try to find a way to unseat the present commissioner.

Remember, regardless of how fair or even someone is, there is always someone who perceives a bias, true or not. And with all due respect to anyone in this situation, perception is EVERYTHING in the infrastructure of softball.

Old Wed May 05, 2004, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

I see your point, and appreciate your comments.

I am not an umpire working under one of the UIC's - I am the UIC, and will not (after your pointing out of the potential conflict) work under one of the other local UIC's after accepting this position. I do intend to unite the umpires under one umbrella if possible.

Your comment: "You also need to understand the the commissioner also serves the leagues and teams, not just the officials. If they perceive a bias toward the umpires, that team/league/whatever may be searching for a new sanctioning body or try to find a way to unseat the present commissioner."

What should I avoid that may lead teams / leagues to perceive a bias toward umpires.
Old Wed May 05, 2004, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I see your point, and appreciate your comments.

I am not an umpire working under one of the UIC's - I am the UIC, and will not (after your pointing out of the potential conflict) work under one of the other local UIC's after accepting this position. I do intend to unite the umpires under one umbrella if possible.

Your comment: "You also need to understand the the commissioner also serves the leagues and teams, not just the officials. If they perceive a bias toward the umpires, that team/league/whatever may be searching for a new sanctioning body or try to find a way to unseat the present commissioner."

What should I avoid that may lead teams / leagues to perceive a bias toward umpires.
How much money do you spend towards umpires compared to the league?

Raising fees to accommodate an umpire's raise regularly?

Blindly backing umpires in any situations where a problem may develop between and umpire(s) and team/league(s). This can be tricky, and may be questioned no matter how fair your decision may be. Of course, this can go the other way if you blindly hold the umpire(s) responsible for everything.

Spending time at umpire meetings, but miss team/league/assn meetings.

Constantly socialize with umpires, but not coaches and parents.

Criticize or talk about any of the groups or members in front of the others.

You need to remember, reality is irrelevant with many as perception is usually what starts the tongues wagging. And as we all know, it must be true or so-and-so wouldn't have said it, right?

BTW, did I ever tell you that I'm a pessimist?