View Single Post
Old Wed May 05, 2004, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mcrowder
Not looking for a break, or for reasoning to talk down any perceived conflict. I'm looking to prepare myself for potential conflicts, and I appreciate the concerns raised.

I do question what the reasoning is behind the rule Mike mentioned about the commissioner umpiring a championship game. What is the fear or perceived conflict, as I believe I'd be impartial in both roles (certainly at least until my 4-year old daughter begins playing, at which point I can DEFINITELY see the perception of a conflict).
For all intent and purpose, the UIC serves at the discretion of the commissioner as do all the umpires under that umbrella.

You are asking the UIC to be placed in a precarious position if there is a call or ruling made on the field by the umpire/commissioner. Depending on the commissioner, the UIC may suffer the ire of the commissioner and not make the proper ruling. OTOH, if the UIC agrees with the ruling, there IS going to be the perception that there was no way the UIC was going to overrule his virtual boss.

The UIC can be put into a no-win situation. Same with an umpire who may be partnered with a commissioner. Same issues.

You also need to understand the the commissioner also serves the leagues and teams, not just the officials. If they perceive a bias toward the umpires, that team/league/whatever may be searching for a new sanctioning body or try to find a way to unseat the present commissioner.

Remember, regardless of how fair or even someone is, there is always someone who perceives a bias, true or not. And with all due respect to anyone in this situation, perception is EVERYTHING in the infrastructure of softball.