View Single Post
Old Wed May 05, 2004, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mcrowder
I see your point, and appreciate your comments.

I am not an umpire working under one of the UIC's - I am the UIC, and will not (after your pointing out of the potential conflict) work under one of the other local UIC's after accepting this position. I do intend to unite the umpires under one umbrella if possible.

Your comment: "You also need to understand the the commissioner also serves the leagues and teams, not just the officials. If they perceive a bias toward the umpires, that team/league/whatever may be searching for a new sanctioning body or try to find a way to unseat the present commissioner."

What should I avoid that may lead teams / leagues to perceive a bias toward umpires.
How much money do you spend towards umpires compared to the league?

Raising fees to accommodate an umpire's raise regularly?

Blindly backing umpires in any situations where a problem may develop between and umpire(s) and team/league(s). This can be tricky, and may be questioned no matter how fair your decision may be. Of course, this can go the other way if you blindly hold the umpire(s) responsible for everything.

Spending time at umpire meetings, but miss team/league/assn meetings.

Constantly socialize with umpires, but not coaches and parents.

Criticize or talk about any of the groups or members in front of the others.

You need to remember, reality is irrelevant with many as perception is usually what starts the tongues wagging. And as we all know, it must be true or so-and-so wouldn't have said it, right?

BTW, did I ever tell you that I'm a pessimist?