View Single Post
Old Wed May 05, 2004, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mcrowder
Looks like I'm going to inherit the post of District Director of Softball (Dixie) for our 4-town area in Northwest Dallas. I'm also UIC in one of the 4 towns.

Questions for some of you more experienced folks.

1) Any conflict of interest that you all forsee in directing both teams and umpires? Any tips on avoiding such potential conflicts?

2) I intend to unite, if possible, the umpiring for all 4 towns to provide some consistency. I've heard some problems in other areas (most are probably coaches' misunderstandings or exaggerations ... but consistency can't be bad). Any potential problems I need to be on the lookout for there?

3) Have you seen such a relationship elsewhere where a Director of Softball operations is either also an umpire or came from the background of umpiring?

Anything else you might want to comment on?
There could be a conflict. If the umpires feel the Director is talking to them instead of the UIC, they could perceive undue pressure to perform in a certain manner.

ASA has a rule which forbids a commissioner from umpiring any championship play games in their own area for fear of exactly that.

Just an observation.