The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 02, 2004, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/...IEYOUTH02W.htm

The League commissioner is a former baseball umpire. I will be surprised if this policy is really enforced.
Old Fri Apr 02, 2004, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by alabamabluezebra
http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/...IEYOUTH02W.htm

The League commissioner is a former baseball umpire. I will be surprised if this policy is really enforced.
Seems to me, the league commissioner is an idiot. Just a personal opinion.

Mike
Old Fri Apr 02, 2004, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

I worked a 16B/18B regional a couple of years ago in Kentucky. On their diamonds, behind home plate, there is a Kentucky resolution that states, in effect, a limitation on the amount of "heckling" an umpire is to accept. It is a misdemeanor penalty and if I remember right, can be converted to a felony with repeated offenses.

The logic behind it is a player several years ago assaulted an umpire in the parking lot after a game. I don't recall the details, but I do remember a weapon was involved.
Old Fri Apr 02, 2004, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Zero Tolerance

I wonder if the net effect of this will be to cause more problems.

I dont mind some heckling... maybe it's a part of the game? I feel like it is. If it gets out of hand and since I do 14U 12U 10U if the heckler is cussing.. then my tolerance quickly fades to Zero, but simple whining about a call.. every close call is going to bother 1/2 the people.
Old Fri Apr 02, 2004, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

When I coached a combined 13-18 Dixie team last season, I gave all the parents a letter stating a number of things we expected which included this about officials:

"Remember that the umpires are part of the game. Don't overreact to their calls. They represent authority on the field. Teach your daughters to respect authority and to play by the rules. We will not tolerate arguing with officials from players or spectators."

I never had any real problems from the parents. I think some verbal disagreement with an occasional call is part of the game and isn't a problem. Foul language or a long tirade is never acceptable.
Old Fri Apr 02, 2004, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Zero Tolerance

Quote:
Originally posted by wadeintothem
...maybe it's a part of the game. I feel like it is.
I have never understood how people can justify heckling, ridiculing, pestering (whatever you want to call it), a person who is trying their best to work at the advocation of their choice as "part of the game." Plain and simply put, it is poor sportsmanship. I felt this way as a player and a coach, long before I became an umpire.

I am not saying that you should reduce yourself to the level of the "heckler/bad sport" by intentionally seeking him out, or even giving creedence to his heckle, but by all means, don't excuse it as "part of the game."

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Fri Apr 02, 2004, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

hecklers

"Ahhh ump, that was a strike.. jeez" .. from the someone in the crowd..

So eject them? Warn them?

I think that is a little sensitive. I think that would also make you small in the eyes of the crowd and coaches.

disputing a close call or something from the crowd.. it just doesnt bother me.... sorrry. What bothers me is if it starts to affect the enjoyment of the game either on the part of the players or the other spectators by being overtly rude or using inappropriate expletives.
Old Fri Apr 02, 2004, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

One thing you blues never seem to grasp is that the spectators have better angles on all the plays and just make better calls.
J/K.
As a spectator I usually do let the umpires know I have a good angle and am available to provide assistance anytime they need it. This always gets a chuckle.
Old Fri Apr 02, 2004, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

Wink hail to the chief

E9's are always right. It's Natures law.
Old Fri Apr 02, 2004, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

Re: hecklers

Quote:
Originally posted by wadeintothem
"Ahhh ump, that was a strike.. jeez" .. from the someone in the crowd..

So eject them? Warn them?

I think that is a little sensitive. I think that would also make you small in the eyes of the crowd and coaches.

disputing a close call or something from the crowd.. it just doesnt bother me.... sorrry. What bothers me is if it starts to affect the enjoyment of the game either on the part of the players or the other spectators by being overtly rude or using inappropriate expletives.
Did you read what I said? I said "don't seek them out or give creedence to the heckler." That doesn't mean warn or eject them. That means exactly what it says. In other words ignore it! What I am saying is don't excuse these folks and their behavior as just having a good time, especially when it is at the expense of someone else.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Fri Apr 02, 2004, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

This league was established about 4 years ago. Doug mentioned the zero tolerance stance their first year but it was never enforced. A softball coach, that was banned by another league in the area, headed up and managed in their Belles division (13-15 yo). I knew his behavior would test their local rule very early in the season. He was ejected in the second game of the year but never suffered any penalties. I was told that the league felt he was being targeted by the umpires because of his reputation. He never coached again after that year due to more incidents throughout the season. I've umpired many games for this league and the fans are fairly well behaved, but it's in the most affluent area of our city. Thus some parents, coaches, and children believe that they are above the rules and their behavior usually reflects this belief.

[Edited by alabamabluezebra on Apr 2nd, 2004 at 02:55 PM]
Old Fri Apr 02, 2004, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

well then we are on the same page..

It is exactly what I do.. I ignore them.

We simply have a difference of opinion; I believe it is part of the game within reason... you dont.. yet we handle it the same way. Maybe i'm not as sensitive as others. I don't feel it's at my expense either.. because it doesnt bother me.

They are advocating for their team and it's fair and proper IMO and I disagree with you. When I ignore it.. it is because I ignore it.. its a non issue until they start causing trouble that must be handled for the sake of the minor players, crowd, and the image of the game and league .. it's not about me or my feewings.
Old Fri Apr 02, 2004, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

One thing you blues never seem to grasp is that the spectators have better angles on all the plays and just make better calls.
J/K.
As a spectator I usually do let the umpires know I have a good angle and am available to provide assistance anytime they need it. This always gets a chuckle.

I've always wanted to create an eyeglass frame out of chain-link fence material because everyone behind chain-link fences seem to see every play better!
Old Fri Apr 02, 2004, 11:17pm
Official Forum Member

"Zero tolerance" might sound good to some people, but it has been interpreted in truly insane ways around the country. A teacher at an elementary school here in New Jersey tells me that her school's "zero tolerance" policy concerning violence covers second-graders who point fingers and yell, "Bang!" with their friends on the playground. These kids are then assigned to mandatory "violence prevention" programs, and for several days have to take special buses to another location for indoctrination.

If you think this is some kind of aberration, look again. We've also all heard about the seventh-grader who gives her friend an aspirin and is banished to the program for drug dealers.

In sports, "zero tolerance" should apply to behavior that's out of line, but somebody with brains has to make a judgment as to what falls under that umbrella. Frankly, if nobody could gripe, umpiring wouldn't be as much fun.
Old Sat Apr 03, 2004, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by greymule

In sports, "zero tolerance" should apply to behavior that's out of line, but somebody with brains has to make a judgment as to what falls under that umbrella. Frankly, if nobody could gripe, umpiring wouldn't be as much fun.
The "somebody with brains" caveat obviously doesn't work. Most of those involving schools are considered people "with brains".

What you need is someone with some common sense using some intelligence to make level-headed decisions AND knows the difference between what is one individual's right and where that ends as opposed to the rights of others.