The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Aug 28, 2021, 10:16pm
Official Forum Member

playing with 8

Team A is playing with 8 due to injury during game. Automatic out when she comes up. Auto out is the 9th position in batting order.
Situation:
Team A batting, two outs, runners on second & third. #8 hitter up. Can the defense intentionally walk (or otherwise) #8 to get the auto out for the third out? Or would they now skip #9 in the batting order?
Old Sun Aug 29, 2021, 07:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbman View Post
Can the defense intentionally walk (or otherwise) #8 to get the auto out for the third out?
Yes.
Old Tue Aug 31, 2021, 02:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post
Yes.
Another reason to get rid of the Fed intentional walk.
Old Tue Aug 31, 2021, 07:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabby_Bob View Post
The "Fed intentional walk" is a good thing. USA should adopt it.

Or, we could just use the Don Drysdale approach. His manager instructed him to intentionally walk the next batter. Drysdale promptly plunked him in the back. Asked about it later he said "why waste 3 pitches?"

But that's getting us off topic...
Old Thu Oct 07, 2021, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

I disagree that the automatic pass is a good rule. In what situations is the intentional walk used? Usually with a runner on second, third, or second and third, and a fairly intimidating batter at bat in a close game. This takes away from the offense, potentionally, 4 chances to score. (Yes, the way around it is an intentional hit batsman, as noted, but there is also a penalty for that should an umpire feel it intentional) Wild pitches happen. Passed balls happen.

One of the most exciting finishes to a game I have ever seen, happens this way. Years ago, with Michael Young on third and a tie game, the Rangers won on a passed ball that allowed him to score. Also, in a 14 inning playoff game in HS that I had the luck of having the plate for; a 1-1 score in the bottom of the 14th, runners on 2 and 3, the defense opted to walk the batter. The second pitch went awry and the runner from 3rd dashed home. Had this single event not occurred, I fear, these many years later, I would be standing there still.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Sat Oct 09, 2021, 03:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi View Post
One of the most exciting finishes to a game I have ever seen, happens this way. Years ago, with Michael Young on third and a tie game, the Rangers won on a passed ball that allowed him to score. Also, in a 14 inning playoff game in HS that I had the luck of having the plate for; a 1-1 score in the bottom of the 14th, runners on 2 and 3, the defense opted to walk the batter. The second pitch went awry and the runner from 3rd dashed home. Had this single event not occurred, I fear, these many years later, I would be standing there still.
To me, that's not exciting - it's anticlimactic. Probably not too exciting if it was the Rangers that lost the game. Walk off wild pitches, walk off balks are not exciting. Lots of other things are, too numerous to list.

If I'm the PU in your 14 inning game, I'm disappointed in the way it ended.

I've lived this type of situation in softball as a pitcher. In the bottom of the 10th inning in a 0-0 game, with 2 outs and a runner on third base, I threw a pitch that was missed by my catcher. Probably a wild pitch, maybe a passed ball - doesn't matter. Losing a game like that was disheartening. Had the batter delivered a base hit to win the game, tip your hat - but to lose a game like we did was worse.

The intentional pass is to speed up the game. If your offensive game plan is relying on a wild pitch on a 4-pitch intentional walk, you need remedial training.
Old Sat Oct 09, 2021, 03:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Curious to know what the other "n" reasons are...
Old Sat Oct 09, 2021, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

I apologize - this did end up as a hijack.

Should have its own string on the pros and cons of the intentional walk.

Exciting news: https://www.chron.com/sports/astros/...or-1920864.php

Last edited by Tru_in_Blu; Sat Oct 09, 2021 at 05:23pm.
Old Sun Oct 10, 2021, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Another reason to get rid of the Fed/MLB intentional walk. Offense and defense doing their job.

Last edited by Crabby_Bob; Sun Oct 10, 2021 at 10:11am.
Old Fri Oct 22, 2021, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
To me, that's not exciting - it's anticlimactic. Probably not too exciting if it was the Rangers that lost the game. Walk off wild pitches, walk off balks are not exciting. Lots of other things are, too numerous to list.

If I'm the PU in your 14 inning game, I'm disappointed in the way it ended.

I've lived this type of situation in softball as a pitcher. In the bottom of the 10th inning in a 0-0 game, with 2 outs and a runner on third base, I threw a pitch that was missed by my catcher. Probably a wild pitch, maybe a passed ball - doesn't matter. Losing a game like that was disheartening. Had the batter delivered a base hit to win the game, tip your hat - but to lose a game like we did was worse.

The intentional pass is to speed up the game. If your offensive game plan is relying on a wild pitch on a 4-pitch intentional walk, you need remedial training.

I think you missed the intent of what I posted. The intentional pass takes away a scoring opportunity. Studies have been done (if you need sources, let me know) that show the new way of walking a batter v the traditional way, saved about 37 seconds. This is in MLB. In FP I would dare say that number is much lower, probably around 20-25 seconds. (Dimension of the field, shorter pitching/ball return distance. Now, on average, how many intentional passes do you see per game. (On average for me, it would be <1). But let's say you have a whopping 3 in one game. Wow! You saved less than two minutes. Holey catz!!!

Now I am curious. Do you stick to the five pitch/one minute from the last out of the previous half inning rule? I have found that really speeds up the game. Good game manangement. Many times, the players haven't even taken the field in the one minute, unless someone is calling/hustling them out. These are the times no warm ups are allowed. It is rare that I see the pitcher who has time to get in 5 pitches. Interestingly, whenever I do evaluations, I use a stop watch to measure this. The good umpire falls into the 1:30 range where this rule is concerned. With the average coming in closer to 2:00. The highest I ever timed without subs or some other game duty going on, was 4:15. But let's use the good umipire number. :30 per half inning x a 7 inning game (13) Hmmm...that takes off 6:30 per game. I think, rather than taking away a scoring opportunity from the offense, even if you happen to find it boring, the game would be better served by holding umpires and teams to the rules that were already in place before this one came along.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.

Last edited by Skahtboi; Fri Oct 22, 2021 at 02:52pm.
Old Wed Nov 17, 2021, 09:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Another reason to get rid of the Fed/MLB intentional walk. Offense and defense doing their job.
WHAT!!!! Teams expected to play the game and be held accountable for their own performance?

Such thoughts have become so un-American, how dare we expect people to accept things for which they are responsible