Thread: playing with 8
View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 07, 2021, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

I disagree that the automatic pass is a good rule. In what situations is the intentional walk used? Usually with a runner on second, third, or second and third, and a fairly intimidating batter at bat in a close game. This takes away from the offense, potentionally, 4 chances to score. (Yes, the way around it is an intentional hit batsman, as noted, but there is also a penalty for that should an umpire feel it intentional) Wild pitches happen. Passed balls happen.

One of the most exciting finishes to a game I have ever seen, happens this way. Years ago, with Michael Young on third and a tie game, the Rangers won on a passed ball that allowed him to score. Also, in a 14 inning playoff game in HS that I had the luck of having the plate for; a 1-1 score in the bottom of the 14th, runners on 2 and 3, the defense opted to walk the batter. The second pitch went awry and the runner from 3rd dashed home. Had this single event not occurred, I fear, these many years later, I would be standing there still.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.