Thread: playing with 8
View Single Post
Old Sat Oct 09, 2021, 03:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi View Post
One of the most exciting finishes to a game I have ever seen, happens this way. Years ago, with Michael Young on third and a tie game, the Rangers won on a passed ball that allowed him to score. Also, in a 14 inning playoff game in HS that I had the luck of having the plate for; a 1-1 score in the bottom of the 14th, runners on 2 and 3, the defense opted to walk the batter. The second pitch went awry and the runner from 3rd dashed home. Had this single event not occurred, I fear, these many years later, I would be standing there still.
To me, that's not exciting - it's anticlimactic. Probably not too exciting if it was the Rangers that lost the game. Walk off wild pitches, walk off balks are not exciting. Lots of other things are, too numerous to list.

If I'm the PU in your 14 inning game, I'm disappointed in the way it ended.

I've lived this type of situation in softball as a pitcher. In the bottom of the 10th inning in a 0-0 game, with 2 outs and a runner on third base, I threw a pitch that was missed by my catcher. Probably a wild pitch, maybe a passed ball - doesn't matter. Losing a game like that was disheartening. Had the batter delivered a base hit to win the game, tip your hat - but to lose a game like we did was worse.

The intentional pass is to speed up the game. If your offensive game plan is relying on a wild pitch on a 4-pitch intentional walk, you need remedial training.