The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 20, 2020, 06:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to shipwreck
Knee out of box

NCAA rules. If a batter makes contact with the ball while their knee is outside the batter's box, on the ground, is the batter out? The rule says a foot, but I wasn't exactly sure. Rule reference please.

Dave
Old Mon Jan 20, 2020, 06:42pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwreck View Post
NCAA rules. If a batter makes contact with the ball while their knee is outside the batter's box, on the ground, is the batter out? The rule says a foot, but I wasn't exactly sure. Rule reference please.

Dave
Makes contact with the ball on the ground or the knee is on the ground?
Old Mon Jan 20, 2020, 07:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to shipwreck
Knee is on the ground outside of batter's box. Dave
Old Mon Jan 20, 2020, 11:10pm
Official Forum Member

Any body part out of the box on the ground at the moment of contact is an illegally batted ball. Look at Case Book approved rulings, promise you it is there.
Old Tue Jan 21, 2020, 05:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
Any body part out of the box on the ground at the moment of contact is an illegally batted ball. Look at Case Book approved rulings, promise you it is there.
A bit of a tangent here - Steve, any idea why we have to take the 2020 test under the 2020-21 Rules Book with the 2019 Case Book? (other than the Case Book doesn't come out until February)

Or is there an edition of the casebook other than the one I could find?
Old Tue Jan 21, 2020, 09:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teebob21 View Post
A bit of a tangent here - Steve, any idea why we have to take the 2020 test under the 2020-21 Rules Book with the 2019 Case Book? (other than the Case Book doesn't come out until February)

Per Vickie, she is still editing the casebook; not only to make the adjustments to the new rules, but to drop back and fix other noted errata. So we have to use what is the most current available, and add the newer AR's available on the Central Hub. Just as we must in all other situations.

Seriously, as late as during the middle of the Atlanta Clinic on 1/11/20, there were new tweaks to the "Taking the Signal", which she noted on a 1/15 published Interpretation. Based on several pointed questions, she had a teleconference with the Rules Committee with a decision before we left!!
Literally no way to have the updated Casebook available, she didn't want to release multiple versions with partial corrections; and the SUP was determined the test needed to be completed before the start of the season!!
Old Wed Jan 22, 2020, 01:38am
Official Forum Member

You don't need the case book for this. Look carefully at 11.2.5, 11.15.1, 11.24.4 11.21.4, and 11.24.5 11.21.5.

Last edited by Crabby_Bob; Wed Jan 22, 2020 at 06:37pm.
Old Wed Jan 22, 2020, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabby_Bob View Post
You don't need the case book for this. Look carefully at 11.2.5, 11.15.1, 11.24.4, and 11.24.5.
I believe you mean 11.21.4 and 11.21.5.

If that isn't enough, I can promise you this exact play (took a knee outside the box while bunting) was mentioned at the Atlanta Clinic.
Old Wed Jan 22, 2020, 06:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
I believe you mean 11.21.4 and 11.21.5.

If that isn't enough, I can promise you this exact play (took a knee outside the box while bunting) was mentioned at the Atlanta Clinic.
I do mean that. Thank you.
Old Sat Jan 25, 2020, 07:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teebob21 View Post

Any reason they took two weeks to mail the books/manuals then cut two weeks off the end date?
Old Mon Jan 27, 2020, 05:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsqUmp View Post
Any reason they took two weeks to mail the books/manuals then cut two weeks off the end date?
Two different "they"s involved.

NCAA SUP set the test deadline.
ArbiterSports, by contract to someone OTHER than the SUP, mailed the books. Yes, they were (reportedly) aware of the test deadline, but apparently underperformed.
Old Tue Jan 28, 2020, 04:54pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabby_Bob View Post
You don't need the case book for this. Look carefully at 11.2.5, 11.15.1, 11.24.4 11.21.4, and 11.24.5 11.21.5.
I'm on travel right now so I can't check. But for the life of me, I don't recall seeing the language in these sections of the hard-copy 2020-2021 rule book I used when I took the test that you find in the downloadable version of the same book. I believe they all still referenced the word "foot" instead of "body" in the hard-copy book.

Is it possible that the NCAA printed the 2020-2021 book with the old language from the 2018-2019 book, and then fixed the language for the PDF version?
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Tue Jan 28, 2020, 05:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
I'm on travel right now so I can't check. But for the life of me, I don't recall seeing the language in these sections of the hard-copy 2020-2021 rule book I used when I took the test that you find in the downloadable version of the same book. I believe they all still referenced the word "foot" instead of "body" in the hard-copy book.

Is it possible that the NCAA printed the 2020-2021 book with the old language from the 2018-2019 book, and then fixed the language for the PDF version?
My 18-19 book say any part of the foot; 20-21, while not highlighted as a change says any part of the body.