The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 26, 2019, 07:42am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
USA Pool Play

Some parts of this rule are still vague.
I think this is just a mistake, but an umpire said that in pool play, the FLEX also has to leave the field when the DP plays defense for someone else.
Is there any way that is true?
Old Thu Sep 26, 2019, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
Some parts of this rule are still vague.
I think this is just a mistake, but an umpire said that in pool play, the FLEX also has to leave the field when the DP plays defense for someone else.
Just replying from memory here - rules book out in the car.

If the FLEX leaves, then essentially the DP has replaced the FLEX and the lineup goes from X to X-1.

Teams have the option to bat everyone, some, or utilize the DP/FLEX. There are no rule changes for DP/FLEX usage in pool play that I'm aware of.

Ask the umpire "that said" to provide proof. Unlikely s/he will be able to.
Old Thu Sep 26, 2019, 10:07am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Umm, nope. There is nothing in the pool play rules that changes the fact that both the DP and FLEX can play defense simultaneously.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Thu Sep 26, 2019, 06:05pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
OK, thought so, probably just not said clearly.
Old Sun Sep 29, 2019, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This is never true, in any code.

Mental reminders for DP/FLEX:

1) The FLEX used to be called the DEFO. While this abbreviation is outdated and "not always true", its value exists in reminding us that if the FLEX's team in on defense, the FLEX must be out in the field; else, the FLEX has left the game. Instead of thinking of this position as "defense only", I remember it as "Defense Always."

2a) Assuming 10 players in the order, any nine of the ten can play defense at anytime. In pool play with 20 players in the order, any nine of those twenty can play defense. Remembering #1 above, if the FLEX isn't one of those nine playing defense, the FLEX has left the game.

2b) In pool play, it is possible that neither the DP nor the FLEX are playing defense at a given point. In this scenario, the FLEX has left the game. The DP has not.

3) The top 9 in the lineup bat in order...or in Pool Play, the top (X minus 1) bat in order. No matter how many people there are in the order, if the FLEX bats, it must be in the spot in the order where the person listed on the starting lineup as DP is batting. It does not matter where that person last played defense, or if that person has been substituted for. If the lineup was accepted with the DP in the #6 spot, the FLEX can only bat in the #6 spot.

4) If the FLEX bats for the DP, the DP has left the game. If the FLEX runs for the DP, the DP has left the game. If anyone other than the FLEX bats or runs for the DP, that player has left the game, but the role of the DP is still active.
Old Tue Oct 01, 2019, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

The only difference in pool play is if you bat more then 9 the FLEX is in the last spot in the lineup, not the 10th spot.

That is the only difference.