Thread: USA Pool Play
View Single Post
Old Sun Sep 29, 2019, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
I think this is just a mistake, but an umpire said that in pool play, the FLEX also has to leave the field when the DP plays defense for someone else.
Is there any way that is true?
This is never true, in any code.

Mental reminders for DP/FLEX:

1) The FLEX used to be called the DEFO. While this abbreviation is outdated and "not always true", its value exists in reminding us that if the FLEX's team in on defense, the FLEX must be out in the field; else, the FLEX has left the game. Instead of thinking of this position as "defense only", I remember it as "Defense Always."

2a) Assuming 10 players in the order, any nine of the ten can play defense at anytime. In pool play with 20 players in the order, any nine of those twenty can play defense. Remembering #1 above, if the FLEX isn't one of those nine playing defense, the FLEX has left the game.

2b) In pool play, it is possible that neither the DP nor the FLEX are playing defense at a given point. In this scenario, the FLEX has left the game. The DP has not.

3) The top 9 in the lineup bat in order...or in Pool Play, the top (X minus 1) bat in order. No matter how many people there are in the order, if the FLEX bats, it must be in the spot in the order where the person listed on the starting lineup as DP is batting. It does not matter where that person last played defense, or if that person has been substituted for. If the lineup was accepted with the DP in the #6 spot, the FLEX can only bat in the #6 spot.

4) If the FLEX bats for the DP, the DP has left the game. If the FLEX runs for the DP, the DP has left the game. If anyone other than the FLEX bats or runs for the DP, that player has left the game, but the role of the DP is still active.