The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 26, 2019, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BoomerSooner
IFF Craziness

Had a situation that just made me laugh in a game I was playing in last week, but does go to show how much confusion still surrounds the IFF rule.

Myself on 2nd and my son on 1st with no outs. Sky-high fly ball hit about 20-25 feet behind SS on the grass. PU calls IFF when the ball is almost at the apex with the SS easily setup under the ball, at which point our batter starts screaming that its on the grass and that can't be the call. At this point the craziness gets amped up by the SS missing the catch. Nobody had covered 2nd base, so I was about 1/3 of the way to 3rd and decided to take the base and my son follows to 2nd. The SS recovers and throws to 3rd to try to get me out but the throw is high causing the 3rd baseman to stretch but he still catches it and starts yelling that he held the bag. Unbeknownst to me, the PU called me out, although there was never a tag (I had slid knowing a tag would be required). PU then turns his attention to the argument that is now going on between the BU and the batter who is still saying it shouldn't have been an IFF. That argument gets broken up and the PU states that the batter is out on the IFF and then comes across the diamond pointing at me with a fist up and said I was out on the throw. I simply said that I was never tagged, and after a brief pause, the PU said, "Ok, you're safe then". I'm assuming it clicked to him that it wasn't a force play.

After the game, our batter was trying to get clarification from the BU. I walked over and heard the last part of the conversation, which was basically the BU saying human error is part of the game and that it isn't appropriate for a player to yell at an umpire like he did even if they did miss the call. The batter walked away at this point, but now I was confused because other than calling me out at 3rd (which the PU corrected), I felt like they got the call 100% correct. I told him as much and that the end result of runners at 2nd and 3rd with 1 out was what I would have had. He looked completely surprised by my statement that I thought it was called correctly.
Old Wed Jun 26, 2019, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

both the offense and defense never realize the IF rule is in place to protect the offense from a cheap double-play, not to give the defense a free out.
Old Wed Jun 26, 2019, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmkupka View Post
both the offense and defense never realize the IF rule is in place to protect the offense from a cheap double-play, not to give the defense a free out.
I wish I had a nickel ...

And, the OP story looks all too normal.

Last edited by CecilOne; Thu Jun 27, 2019 at 01:13pm.
Old Wed Jun 26, 2019, 04:48pm
Official Forum Member

I was aware

The most frustrating thing from my perspective was that our batter was arguing against the IFF. Without it I would have been forced at third and we would have had 1st and 2nd with 1 out instead of 2nd and 3rd with 1 out.
Old Fri Jun 28, 2019, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

Boomer,
May I copy your main paragraph about craziness for our members, as a teaching tool?
Thanks,
Harry
CecilOne
Old Fri Jun 28, 2019, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

Sure. I’m glad to share anything that can help someone else learn.
Old Fri Jun 28, 2019, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomerSooner View Post
Sure. I’m glad to share anything that can help someone else learn.
Thank you!

I prefaced it with
"3) The Infield Fly Rule exists to protect runners from cheap double plays; but after decades is still misunderstood. I thought this story from another umpire, unfortunately all too familiar, is amusing. "