The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 19, 2005, 10:53pm
Official Forum Member

And I thought my Double OT game last week was nuts....

Class A girls varsity playoffs, district quarterfinals. Team A I have had 3 or 4 times over the course of the season. This school has the reputation of having some of the most brutal fans in my district. As the first quarter progresses, some of the fans, sitting in the first row of bleachers no more than 2 feet from the far side sideline, begin saying very derogatory remarks towards our R, who was a female. Before I really had a chance to do anything about it, we had a rotation and got away from that sideline. Fast forward to second quarter, as we are shooting a foul shot (I am C, far side), same fan now begins beating my ear about the other male official I am with. However, he went way to far, proceeding to call him several homosexual names. I immediately stopped play and had game management remove him from the game. Needless to say, we got booed of the court on the way to the locker room at the half.

After the removal of the fan, game progressed fairly smoothly. A lot of fouls, but really no complaints; at the same time we could feel the game starting to slip and get ugly, so we really started to crack down on the fouls. Then, with 6:06 remaining in the game (37-35 Team B), all hell breaks loose. I am L when a scrum for a loose ball between two players from Team A and one player from Team B occurs. I have a foul on A#20 for holding B#24 on the loose ball. As the C and I move into the pile, B#24 swings at a member of Team A. WHACK--flagrant technical on B#24. After we get the situation sorted out, Team A coach wants an explanation. I go over to explain, and he immediately starts on me about the common foul on his player #20. I stopped signed him after he wouldn't listen to my explanation, he continued to argue, and finally does a spin move on the floor while flipping his hands in the air...WHACK! We shoot the 1-and-1 for the common foul, then the 2 for the flagrant T, then back down the other end for the other T on the coach. Went to the arrow and cracked down even harder than we already had been the rest of the game---total of 57 fouls when it was all said and done.
Old Sat Feb 19, 2005, 11:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tmp44
Went to the arrow
Why?

It should have been B's ball after the throws for the T on the A coach.
Old Sun Feb 20, 2005, 02:22am
Official Forum Member

Bob...we had a dead ball technical (B's punch), followed during the same dead ball period, but real time about 3 or 4 minutes later, with another technical (A's coach). Supervisor on the game agreed with our ruling that we went with the arrow. If you can help me if I'm wrong, please tell me the rule so I know for next time. Thanks!
Old Sun Feb 20, 2005, 02:33am
Keeper of the HAMMER

If you went with the arrow, you shouldn't have shot the free throws.
Old Sun Feb 20, 2005, 02:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Bob...we had a dead ball technical (B's punch), followed during the same dead ball period, but real time about 3 or 4 minutes later, with another technical (A's coach). Supervisor on the game agreed with our ruling that we went with the arrow. If you can help me if I'm wrong, please tell me the rule so I know for next time. Thanks!
You administer in the order they occurred. You did not have simultaneous technicals 4-19-9, you had a false double 4-19-8.

Old Sun Feb 20, 2005, 04:32am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by blindzebra
Quote:
You administer in the order they occurred. You did not have simultaneous technicals 4-19-9, you had a false double 4-19-8.

On top of the obvious time lag, a prerequisite to having a double foul(either double personal or double technical),under R4-19-7(which is the rule you used), is that the two opponents must commit the fouls against each other at approximately the same time. You didn't have any of that in your situation. You need to straighten your supervisor out on this one, too. False double foul, as BZ said.

Btw, good job of keeping the game under control.
Old Sun Feb 20, 2005, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jr
have you wondered why this keeps happening to you?????
Excuse me JR? Wondered why what keeps happening to me? This was only my 3rd and 4th varsity technicals of the year...far less than what I've seen by some other people on this forum. Are you telling me that I can help it when in a smooth game someone suddenly throws a punch after a loose ball? And when you want to throw criticism around, why don't you explain yourself instead of being an enigma?

As far as the arrow, we had made the decision as a crew that this was a false double foul, and went with the arrow as such, but we should have administered as a T throw-in instead. Looking back on it now, I realize that we probably should have given the ball to Team B on the tecnical. Arrow was Team B's at the time anyways, not saying that that makes up for the mistake, but rather just saved my a$$ that B got the ball. I realize that I kicked it.

[Edited by tmp44 on Feb 20th, 2005 at 12:39 PM]
Old Sun Feb 20, 2005, 12:47pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by jr
Excuse me JR? .

Just wanted to make sure that you weren't confusing "jr" with "JR"(Jurassic Referee).
Old Sun Feb 20, 2005, 01:07pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by jr
Keeps happening? First of all I don't remember any problems by the OP this season and secondly, your response was less than helpful or useful.
Old Sun Feb 20, 2005, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by jr
Excuse me JR? .

Just wanted to make sure that you weren't confusing "jr" with "JR"(Jurassic Referee).
Jurassic,

I was referring to the "other" jr...sorry
Old Sun Feb 20, 2005, 11:50pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Jurassic,

I was referring to the "other" jr...sorry
It wasn't me.