The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 22, 2003, 08:46pm
Official Forum Member

addendum to "Dead Ball Craziness" thread (Rule 8-5-G)

Mike Rowe's guess as to what ASA's 2003 overthrow rule means was correct.

The rule:

"Rule 8, Sec. 5-G EFFECT:
Add to “effect” following sub-section “G” to read: G. When the ball is in play and is overthrown (beyond the boundary lines) or is blocked. EFFECT: All runners will be awarded two bases, and the award will be governed by the position of the runners when the ball left the fielder’s hand. Runners may return to touch a missed base or base left too soon. If two runners are between the same bases, the award is based on the position of the lead runner. Once a base runner advances to and passes the next awarded base, the runner may no longer return to touch any missed base or any base left too soon."

A few weeks later I gave Mike some info as to what was said at a subsequent Regional UIC clinic by a knowledgeable Regional UIC from another region, and Mike passed it on to the board in a clear manner (better than I could have).

At today's National Umpire School in Atlanta (which has been great so far!), Henry Pollard clarified this rule to eliminate any ambiguities, and Henry's interp. was essentially the same as Mike's:

Basically, Henry said that, when the ball becomes dead, the umpire should hesitate, see if the runner starts to re-touch the base missed/left early, and if s/he does, let the runner finish doing so, and THEN make the award. If the runner appears satisfied with where s/he is (whether on a base or between bases), the umpire then should make the award. IF AT THE TIME THE AWARD IS MADE, the runner is on or beyond the first awarded base, the runner cannot legally re-touch a base left early or missed and is subject to being called out if the defense appeals (I did not ask Henry this specifically but it follows that if the defense does not appeal, the runner's improper re-touching would be forgiven -- i.e. the words "may no longer return" in the rule don't cause an automatic out, but merely an opportunity for the defense to appeal after the improper re-touching).

Thus, the phrase "next awarded base" means "first awarded base." Hope this helps.

[Edited by Tap on Feb 22nd, 2003 at 07:49 PM]
Old Sun Feb 23, 2003, 11:36pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks.

OK. Guy hits one off the fence, misses 1B, touches 2B, slides into 3B, throw goes into dugout. I say, "Dead ball," and watch the runner. If he starts for home, I say he's awarded home. If he starts to retrace his steps, I wait until he touches 2B and is on his way back to 1B and then award him home.

What if, after the ball goes into DBT, his team exhorts him to retouch 1B. If he is then running back toward 2B but has not yet touched it, can I announce that he is awarded home? Or should I keep my mouth shut until he gets into a "safe" area (i.e., not on or beyond the first awarded base)?
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 01:06am
Official Forum Member

NFHS rule is simplier

I know that Mike will disagree, but I think that the FED rule is better in this case.

Runner can not go back during dead ball, so award her home. (Right now, no waiting required.) If the defense appeals, then call her out. End of case!

WMB
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 07:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by greymule
Thanks.

OK. Guy hits one off the fence, misses 1B, touches 2B, slides into 3B, throw goes into dugout. I say, "Dead ball," and watch the runner. If he starts for home, I say he's awarded home. If he starts to retrace his steps, I wait until he touches 2B and is on his way back to 1B and then award him home.

What if, after the ball goes into DBT, his team exhorts him to retouch 1B. If he is then running back toward 2B but has not yet touched it, can I announce that he is awarded home? Or should I keep my mouth shut until he gets into a "safe" area (i.e., not on or beyond the first awarded base)?
I am assuming the ball left the hand of the last defensive player to possess the ball while the runner was between 2nd & 3rd.

You keep your mouth shut until the runner has obviously completed his running assignment. There are no extra points for announcing an award in a quick fashion.