The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Apr 14, 2019, 10:20pm
Official Forum Member

fpsr

Play:
Bases loaded, no outs. Ground ball double play ball, but runner from first makes an illegal slide into second. Who's out for the interference?
Batter/runner or runner closest to home?
Old Mon Apr 15, 2019, 01:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbman View Post
Play:
Bases loaded, no outs. Ground ball double play ball, but runner from first makes an illegal slide into second. Who's out for the interference?
depends. Was the runner from 1st already out at the time she interfered (made an illegal slide)?
Old Mon Apr 15, 2019, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Play:
runner from first not out - runner from first
intentional double play breakup - BR out
retired runner - no intentional double play breakup, closest to home
Old Mon Apr 15, 2019, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

Sorry, I'm still confused.
The runner that slid illegally into second was out. (it was a force out).
Does it matter about the b/r at first?
Doesn't the illegal slide kill any further play?
Isn't the illegal slider a 'retired runner?
Old Mon Apr 15, 2019, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
runner from first not out - runner from first
intentional double play breakup - BR out
retired runner - no intentional double play breakup, closest to home
No quite correct.

The "intentional double play breakup" is when the RUNNER hasn't been put out yet. For example, R1 on 2nd, R2 on 1st. BR hits a ball to F4, who is trying to tag R2 and then flip to F3 for the DP. R2 interferes with F4, such as knocking it out of her hand/glove while being tagged. That would be the limited way to get the BR out.

Once the runner is retired, it is always runner closest to home.

I have never called the "intentional interference on a double play", and I've umpire a variety of JO, adult slow and adult fast.
Old Mon Apr 15, 2019, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

I should have added fast pitch hs fed
Old Mon Apr 15, 2019, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I should have added fast pitch hs fed
It is the same in all codes of softball.

BTW, no code of softball has a FPSR; that's baseball talk.
Old Mon Apr 15, 2019, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Slick View Post
No quite correct.

The "intentional double play breakup" is when the RUNNER hasn't been put out yet. For example, R1 on 2nd, R2 on 1st. BR hits a ball to F4, who is trying to tag R2 and then flip to F3 for the DP. R2 interferes with F4, such as knocking it out of her hand/glove while being tagged. That would be the limited way to get the BR out.

Once the runner is retired, it is always runner closest to home.

I have never called the "intentional interference on a double play", and I've umpire a variety of JO, adult slow and adult fast.
I didn't say retired runner about double play; and you reminded me that I never called it either. Maybe I should have left it out.
Do you think it could happen on a slide, legal or other wise?
Old Mon Apr 15, 2019, 04:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
I didn't say retired runner about double play; and you reminded me that I never called it either. Maybe I should have left it out.
Do you think it could happen on a slide, legal or other wise?
Probably not, as the sliding player is most likely out on a force, thus a retired runner.
Old Mon Apr 15, 2019, 04:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Probably not, as the sliding player is most likely out on a force, thus a retired runner.
Thanks.
Old Mon Apr 15, 2019, 04:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Called this once in 21 years, but it was a retired runner. 16A national, sharp hit to F6, flips to F4 who turns the DP slowly. Retired runner R1 slides late with her cleats hard into the shins of F4 and takes her down. I am U3; I call both outs.

UIC and leadership told me after the game it was a call I should have passed on. I still respectfully disagree. (Irish, this is the tournament on the East Coast where you and I met in person for the first time.)
Old Mon Apr 15, 2019, 11:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teebob21 View Post
Called this once in 21 years, but it was a retired runner. 16A national, sharp hit to F6, flips to F4 who turns the DP slowly. Retired runner R1 slides late with her cleats hard into the shins of F4 and takes her down. I am U3; I call both outs.

UIC and leadership told me after the game it was a call I should have passed on. I still respectfully disagree. (Irish, this is the tournament on the East Coast where you and I met in person for the first time.)
You called INT because you considered the slide late, but would also endorse an INT call if the runner didn't slide and was hit by the throw?
Old Tue Apr 16, 2019, 07:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Not the same call. You call interference on a RETIRED runner which would have the effect of the runner closest to home as an out.

The call I referred to is when a RUNNER interferes with a double play opportunity and the trailing runner is called out.

The former is common; the latter I've never called.
Old Tue Apr 16, 2019, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

At a NUS in Lewiston, Maine in 2014, we had a drill on calling the DP as the BU with a runner on first only.

As my turn was coming up, I overhead a technician tell the runner at first base to intentionally interfere with the fielder covering second base. So I thought I had a head's up on what was coming.

As the drill unfolded, there was a force out at second, and sure enough, the runner ran into the fielder. The throw to first was affected. Smart me called the out at second and then the BR out due to the INT by the retired runner.

Mr. JC said that was not the right call. After the call at second base, my focus should have been on the throw to first base. The PU would be responsible for making the INT call at second base.
Old Tue Apr 16, 2019, 02:03pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:

UIC and leadership told me after the game it was a call I should have passed on.
Who would make that call then?

Since you said you were U3, I assume three-man with you being rotated, and U1 having responsibility for the play at first base. If that's the case, then I can't imagine who your "UIC and leadership" would say has the call at second base.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker