Thread: fpsr
View Single Post
Old Tue Apr 16, 2019, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teebob21 View Post
Called this once in 21 years, but it was a retired runner. 16A national, sharp hit to F6, flips to F4 who turns the DP slowly. Retired runner R1 slides late with her cleats hard into the shins of F4 and takes her down. I am U3; I call both outs.

UIC and leadership told me after the game it was a call I should have passed on. I still respectfully disagree. (Irish, this is the tournament on the East Coast where you and I met in person for the first time.)
At a NUS in Lewiston, Maine in 2014, we had a drill on calling the DP as the BU with a runner on first only.

As my turn was coming up, I overhead a technician tell the runner at first base to intentionally interfere with the fielder covering second base. So I thought I had a head's up on what was coming.

As the drill unfolded, there was a force out at second, and sure enough, the runner ran into the fielder. The throw to first was affected. Smart me called the out at second and then the BR out due to the INT by the retired runner.

Mr. JC said that was not the right call. After the call at second base, my focus should have been on the throw to first base. The PU would be responsible for making the INT call at second base.