The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 05, 2018, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngump View Post
I'm not at all opposed to this general approach but in this particular case I think your reasoning is subtly wrong. There is a rule to cover this situation and there needs to be. If not just following where you're pointing, you have a problem if first base is open or two are out because strike three was uncaught.
Doesn't matter. It's dead because it hit the batter.
Old Tue Jun 05, 2018, 05:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
Doesn't matter. It's dead because it hit the batter.
Yes, and the batter's out because there's a rule that says she is.
Old Tue Jun 05, 2018, 08:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yes, and the batter's out because there's a rule that says she is.
Actually, the rule only recognizes a strike. The batter is out if it is strike 3, nothing to do with the batter being hit by the ball.
Old Wed Jun 06, 2018, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Actually, the rule only recognizes a strike. The batter is out if it is strike 3, nothing to do with the batter being hit by the ball.
I don't have my current book with me. I do have a pdf copy of the rules from 2005 so that's what I'll cite; I don't think any of this has changed.

Rule 7-6-A is the relevant reference there. It clearly states that the batter is out if hit by strike 3 in the strike zone or if hit by strike 3 while swinging at it.

This discussion is about what would happen if you deleted that rule. 7-6-M doesn't apply because the catcher didn't catch the ball. So how do you get the out?

It would be possible to rewrite the rules with a notation that a batter who got three strikes was out with an exception for U3K but that's not how they read.
Old Wed Jun 06, 2018, 07:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I don't have my current book with me. I do have a pdf copy of the rules from 2005 so that's what I'll cite; I don't think any of this has changed.

Rule 7-6-A is the relevant reference there. It clearly states that the batter is out if hit by strike 3 in the strike zone or if hit by strike 3 while swinging at it.

This discussion is about what would happen if you deleted that rule. 7-6-M doesn't apply because the catcher didn't catch the ball. So how do you get the out?

It would be possible to rewrite the rules with a notation that a batter who got three strikes was out with an exception for U3K but that's not how they read.
It is the third strike that makes the batter out whether it hits him/her or not. The rule you are citing is a redundancy. But I stand corrected you are right it is in the book. Why I have no idea. Probably for the same dummies that believe the IF rule is written properly citing 1st & 2nd or 1st, 2nd & 3rd as qualifiers.

7-4-H & Effect
Old Thu Jun 07, 2018, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
It is the third strike that makes the batter out whether it hits him/her or not. The rule you are citing is a redundancy. But I stand corrected you are right it is in the book. Why I have no idea. Probably for the same dummies that believe the IF rule is written properly citing 1st & 2nd or 1st, 2nd & 3rd as qualifiers.

7-4-H & Effect
7-4-H and its effect (in 2005) say that the ball is dead when the batter is hit with a batted ball that this is a strike unless it would be the third strike.
Is it now a citation for the batter being out with three strikes? I know it's three strikes, you're out at the old ball game; but if it's not 7-4-H supposing I asked for a rule citation for that proposition.
Old Thu Jun 07, 2018, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
7-4-H and its effect (in 2005) say that the ball is dead when the batter is hit with a batted ball that this is a strike unless it would be the third strike.
Is it now a citation for the batter being out with three strikes? I know it's three strikes, you're out at the old ball game; but if it's not 7-4-H supposing I asked for a rule citation for that proposition.
Shouldn't that be hit with a pitched ball? Or maybe I've just lost my way in this long, drawn out string.

Talk about beating a dead ball.
Old Thu Jun 07, 2018, 08:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Is it now a citation for the batter being out with three strikes? I know it's three strikes, you're out at the old ball game; but if it's not 7-4-H supposing I asked for a rule citation for that proposition.[/QUOTE]

7.4 A Strike on the Batter
H. For each pitched ball swung at and missed which touches any part of the batter
Old Fri Jun 08, 2018, 02:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Just for the record you are quoting from the 2005 book which is not consistent with the recent year's books.

Irish cited rule 7.4.H. You (youngump) are quoting rule 7.4.H from 2005 which is not the same same as the current books. The rule youngump is citing [see above quote] is actually 7.4.J in the new book.

7.4.H, as Irish stated from the current book, is "for each pitched ball swung at and missed which touches any part of the batter" And this rule has no qualifiers about less than 2 strikes or anything like that. So if batter swings and is hit by the pitch, it is always a strike. And if the batter already had 2 strikes, it is now strike 3. And on strike 3 we all know the batter is OUT. The part about the dead ball, etc. is also clearly listed in the effect section so runners can't advance.

But I think the biggest confusion was that youngump was quoting from the outdated book. A lot has changed since 2005!
Old Fri Jun 08, 2018, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephrt1 View Post
Just for the record you are quoting from the 2005 book which is not consistent with the recent year's books.

And on strike 3 we all know the batter is OUT.
Yes, I noted I only had the wrong book available. We're moving and my current books are packed up. Thank you for clarifying Irish's reference. I'm pretty sure the remainder of what I've been saying hasn't changed.

Yes, we all know the batter is out because it's the rule. Specifically it's two rules. One that says the batter is out if the 3rd strike is legally caught or 1B is occupied w/ less than 2 outs. One that says the batter is out if the 3rd strike hits them. You either need both or you need to change the first one to say the batter is out when they get 3 strikes and then add an exception for U3K.