The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 15, 2013, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

Batter swinging at a pitch late

I have noticed that there is an increasing trend of batters being coached at swinging very late at a pitch to protect a runner stealing a base at the high school level. Happened twice last night. My timing is pretty good for calling pitches, that is slow. The first time it happened I correctly called the pitch a strike. The second time it happened the swing was so late I had already called the pitch a ball then the batter swing his bat. There was no interference with the throw to second because of the late swing.

My solution to this was to call time after the play and ask my partner for help, which I knew he may not have any because he was turning to call the play at second. After giving him so very subtle hints, that I wanted him to say he swing, I was able to sell my reversal of a called ball without anyone objecting to it.

My question is this.

1) How late can a batter swing at a pitch without it being called a strike.
2) Did I handle this the best way under the circumstances.
Old Wed May 15, 2013, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

If the bat swing was not a bonafide attempt to hit the ball ... it's not a strike.
That said, if it was not an attempt, it should be much more likely to be an attempt to interfere.

I'm not sure I would have changed this to a strike. Rather, I'd be telling coach to cut it out - that swinging the bat after the catcher is already starting to throw COULD be interference.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed May 15, 2013, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

Actually, if it appears to be an attempt to protect a runner, I would start calling "on the swing - STRIKE!". Now wait for the coach to complain and then tell him, "You can stop this now or the next time it will be interference." Let the coach make the choice but I'm either getting a strike or an out.
Old Wed May 15, 2013, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900 View Post
Actually, if it appears to be an attempt to protect a runner, I would start calling "on the swing - STRIKE!". Now wait for the coach to complain and then tell him, "You can stop this now or the next time it will be interference." Let the coach make the choice but I'm either getting a strike or an out.
But they won't complain... this is taught, and the strike is expected.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu May 16, 2013, 05:58am
Official & ***** Member

Calling INT will put a quick end to this bush-league tactic. If the pitch is already in F2's mitt when the swing starts, what else could it be?
Old Thu May 16, 2013, 06:38am
Veteran College Umpire

I called this a "ball" once in a college game years ago, because the batter didn't swing until the catcher came up throwing the ball. That was when I learned to slow my timing down. They want that called a strike - or interference if he interferes.

JJ
Old Thu May 16, 2013, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT1 View Post
Calling INT will put a quick end to this bush-league tactic. If the pitch is already in F2's mitt when the swing starts, what else could it be?
Exactly!

He is no longer swinging at a pitch when the pitch has passed him. He's intentionally interfering with the catcher's throw. Easy call. Interference.
Old Thu May 16, 2013, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman72 View Post
Exactly!

He is no longer swinging at a pitch when the pitch has passed him. He's intentionally interfering with the catcher's throw. Easy call. Interference.
Agreed, assuming he actually interferes, and doesn't just attempt to.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu May 16, 2013, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Agreed, assuming he actually interferes, and doesn't just attempt to.
Correct. I'm giving every benefit of the doubt to the catcher here though. If it's a little close, I'm calling it.