The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jun 03, 2018, 10:22pm
Official Forum Member

Batter hit by pitch while swinging

B1 is hit on the hands while swinging at pitched ball. Ball is dead on strikes 1 & 2. What happens on strike 3? I understand ball is dead here also, but is batter out?
Old Sun Jun 03, 2018, 10:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredhjr View Post
B1 is hit on the hands while swinging at pitched ball. Ball is dead on strikes 1 & 2. What happens on strike 3? I understand ball is dead here also, but is batter out?
Well - it was a strike wasn't it? What's the batter's status when s/he has three strikes?
Old Mon Jun 04, 2018, 08:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
Well - it was a strike wasn't it? What's the batter's status when s/he has three strikes?
Was he correct saying on strikes 1 and 2 that the ball is dead if striking the batter?

On strike 3, without being hit by the ball, the ball is live. His question is, if struck by the ball on strike 3, is the ball live or not?

Your rhetorical question offered no insight or answer to his question. I don't know the answer either.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
Old Mon Jun 04, 2018, 08:16am
Official Forum Member

This is from ASA:

8.1.2. b.

Penalty 2. If the batter is hit anywhere on the body, including on the hands, while swinging at a pitch, and hits the ball fair or foul, the ball is dead and a strike called. If it is strike three, the batter is out.

Old Mon Jun 04, 2018, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc1 View Post
Was he correct saying on strikes 1 and 2 that the ball is dead if striking the batter?

On strike 3, without being hit by the ball, the ball is live. His question is, if struck by the ball on strike 3, is the ball live or not?

Your rhetorical question offered no insight or answer to his question. I don't know the answer either.

If the poster knows it was a dead ball strike on strike one and two, and thus that it's a strike, why is he asking if on strike three if the batter is out.

Learn to think things through. In doing so the poster discovers the answer through the challenge.

Teach a man to fish.
Old Mon Jun 04, 2018, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc1 View Post
This is from ASA:

8.1.2. b.

Penalty 2. If the batter is hit anywhere on the body, including on the hands, while swinging at a pitch, and hits the ball fair or foul, the ball is dead and a strike called. If it is strike three, the batter is out.

Not sure about your reference of 8.1.2.b. Doesn't seem to be an ASA rule designation.

Check out USA/ASA Rule 7.6.A

Rule 7, SECTION 6 – THE BATTER IS OUT
A. When the third strike is:
1. Swung at and the pitched ball touches any part of the batter’s person.
2. Not swung at, and the ball hits the batter while the ball is in the strike zone.
3. A pitched ball, in the umpire’s judgment, which was prevented from entering the strike zone by actions of the batter other than hitting the ball.
Old Mon Jun 04, 2018, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If the poster knows it was a dead ball strike on strike one and two, and thus that it's a strike, why is he asking if on strike three if the batter is out.

Learn to think things through. In doing so the poster discovers the answer through the challenge.

Teach a man to fish.
I would love to be able to apply logic to interpret baseball/softball rules, but it never seems to work. In this case, it did. I waiting to hear some crazy reason why it was a live ball on strike 3.

Old Mon Jun 04, 2018, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephrt1 View Post
Not sure about your reference of 8.1.2.b. Doesn't seem to be an ASA rule designation.

Check out USA/ASA Rule 7.6.A

Rule 7, SECTION 6 – THE BATTER IS OUT
A.When the third strike is:
1.Swung at and the pitched ball touches any part of the batter’s person.
2.Not swung at, and the ball hits the batter while the ball is in the strike zone.
3.A pitched ball, in the umpire’s judgment, which was prevented from entering the strike zone by actions of the batter other than hitting the ball.
I copied this from a poster on another forum when I ran a Google search. That poster said it was ASA. Should have done better research, thanks for the correction.

Old Mon Jun 04, 2018, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Teach a man to fish.
I'm not at all opposed to this general approach but in this particular case I think your reasoning is subtly wrong. There is a rule to cover this situation and there needs to be. If not just following where you're pointing, you have a problem if first base is open or two are out because strike three was uncaught.
Old Mon Jun 04, 2018, 03:02pm
Official Forum Member

Uncaught yes, but also a dead ball.
Old Mon Jun 04, 2018, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlsumpntx View Post
Uncaught yes, but also a dead ball.
Yes, which is why you need a special rule because the BR cannot advance but the catcher can't pick up the ball and tag her either.
Old Mon Jun 04, 2018, 09:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngump View Post
Yes, which is why you need a special rule because the BR cannot advance but the catcher can't pick up the ball and tag her either.
No, you don't need a special rule. A dead ball is a dead ball. What can happen during a dead ball?
Old Mon Jun 04, 2018, 10:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
No, you don't need a special rule. A dead ball is a dead ball. What can happen during a dead ball?
A runner can be called out on appeal for failing to touch second and her coach can be tossed for arguing about it. Neither is particularly relevant here. I'm not sure what you're trying to argue. If there wasn't a rule making the batter on a dead ball strike 3, she wouldn't be out, she'd be entitled to advance with liability to be put out which would be awkward with the ball being dead.
Old Tue Jun 05, 2018, 07:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngump View Post
A runner can be called out on appeal for failing to touch second and her coach can be tossed for arguing about it. Neither is particularly relevant here. I'm not sure what you're trying to argue. If there wasn't a rule making the batter on a dead ball strike 3, she wouldn't be out, she'd be entitled to advance with liability to be put out which would be awkward with the ball being dead.
You are right, irrelevant.

And she would be out. The strike comes first, the contact with the batter second. Always has been dating back to the 1930s
Old Tue Jun 05, 2018, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
You are right, irrelevant.

And she would be out. The strike comes first, the contact with the batter second. Always has been dating back to the 1930s
Yes, but one is not out for getting three strikes unless the third one is caught or first base is occupied. (Or the batter gets hit but that was my point is that there's a rule for that.)