The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 18, 2017, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
BR Interference

Hopefully, a short discussion, but no relevant topic to tangent.

Batter hits ball on the ground toward 1st. F3 charges, fields, and tags the BR.
In a play like that, is there a difference between stepping back to avoid a tag and stepping back to avoid a collision (visualize hard charging F3)?
Old Tue Jul 18, 2017, 02:54pm
Official Forum Member

I would not penalize the batter-runner for protecting herself.

It may be a fine line, but that's strictly a judgment that YOU are authorized to make. Just be sure to use that phrase "in my judgment" when answering the defensive coach looking for the interference call. Be willing to ask your partner if that is requested; but the judgment belongs to the calling umpire (PU before the start of the running lane, BU after the start of the running lane, is the proper mechanic).
Old Tue Jul 18, 2017, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
I would not penalize the batter-runner for protecting herself.

It may be a fine line, but that's strictly a judgment that YOU are authorized to make. Just be sure to use that phrase "in my judgment" when answering the defensive coach looking for the interference call. Be willing to ask your partner if that is requested; but the judgment belongs to the calling umpire (PU before the start of the running lane, BU after the start of the running lane, is the proper mechanic).
In the actual play, as PU, no perceived step back; but it got me thinking about it. Also, in the actual play, I was straight-lined behind BR and F2 (very quick play) and the BU was in the C slot. Thinking he had a more perpendicular angle, I verified the "no step back" with him.

Now that you mentioned it, I assume the running lane guide still applies if the BU is in the C slot?

Last edited by CecilOne; Tue Jul 18, 2017 at 03:40pm. Reason: because of Dakota
Old Tue Jul 18, 2017, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
In the actual play, as PU, no perceived step back; but it got me thinking about it. Also, in the actual play, I was straight-lined behind BR and F2 (very quick play) and the BU was in the C slot. Thinking he had a more perpendicular angle, I verified the "no step back" with him.

Now that you mentioned it, I assume the running lane guide still applies if the PU is in the C slot?
Is double rotation approved for 2 umpire mechanics?
Old Tue Jul 18, 2017, 03:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
Is double rotation approved for 2 umpire mechanics?
Only in IFR situations in extra innings.
Old Tue Jul 18, 2017, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
Now that you mentioned it, I assume the running lane guide still applies if the BU is in the C slot?
I have a very strong "it depends" on that; and it leads to one area where mechanics vary based on who taught you, with a strong 50/50 issue.

For the most part, I'm a believer that standard mechanics with the fewest exceptions is the best path for all. And for the "did she step back" case, the standard remains best, as the perpendicular you mention is a great angle.

BUT, in the case of a tag to either side that BU simply cannot possibly judge the straight line, I would vary and make the call emphatically as the PU, hopefully well before the BU guesses. Because, that leads to the 50/50 issue.

Half the softball umpire world says BU should make the call based on what he sees, because the mechanics say it is the BU call, and be prepared to go for help if asked (or even insinuated) by either team. The other half of the world says BU should ask immediately, without ever making a call; and that potentially throws the PU under the bus if, for whatever reason, PU doesn't have a good look at the play that really isn't his call.

So, if I, as PU, have a clear and definitive angle, I'm making that call; even when my partner might think I'm poaching .