The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 14, 2017, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsqUmp View Post
So I hear you saying that there are multiple criteria. I also see you saying that when you are off the line, you can't use some of those criteria. So you must then focus on those that you can use, right?
That is what I have been saying. Im sorry if I didn't communicate it well. Most of the time, none of the criteria that I would use to determine if a swing has occurred are available when I am in B or C. In other words, I can't see where the barrel is in relation to the batter's body unless the bat has come well beyond the point at which my help would be needed. If none of the criteria I would look for give me 100% certainty that the batter struck at the pitch, then I would rule no swing. This is true no matter where I am on the bases. But when I am in B or C the odds of seeing a borderline half swing are much lower than if I am still at 1st base.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Old Thu Jun 15, 2017, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbilica View Post
That is what I have been saying. Im sorry if I didn't communicate it well. Most of the time, none of the criteria that I would use to determine if a swing has occurred are available when I am in B or C. In other words, I can't see where the barrel is in relation to the batter's body unless the bat has come well beyond the point at which my help would be needed. If none of the criteria I would look for give me 100% certainty that the batter struck at the pitch, then I would rule no swing. This is true no matter where I am on the bases. But when I am in B or C the odds of seeing a borderline half swing are much lower than if I am still at 1st base.

If you focus toward the cap of the barrel of the bat, you should be able to get these correct.
Old Thu Jun 15, 2017, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsqUmp View Post
If you focus toward the cap of the barrel of the bat, you should be able to get these correct.
If I am in B or C and I see the cap of the barrel, the whole field will know the batter swung. I have never been asked to make that call as the PU gets it every time.

Old Thu Jun 15, 2017, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbilica View Post
If I am in B or C and I see the cap of the barrel, the whole field will know the batter swung. I have never been asked to make that call as the PU gets it every time.

So you have never been in a game where the PU has to focus on a low outside pitch or where the catcher jumps up and blocks the PUs field of vision?
Old Thu Jun 15, 2017, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
So you have never been in a game where the PU has to focus on a low outside pitch or where the catcher jumps up and blocks the PUs field of vision?
The only time something happened to me like that, it was a left handed batter and I was at first. I mentioned that one earlier in the thread. I ruled strike and had to deal with a coach who questioned my mechanics and an assignor who called me the same night after the game. That being said, I think everyone knew the batter had swung. The assignor just wanted to know what I had seen because he had to deal with the coach complaining to him. I didn't get any heat for it, in the end.

Frankly, 90% of my career baseball assignments have been behind the plate. I have only been an umpire for 5 years, making varsity in my second season. Last season I had a full slate of varsity games and not a single base assignment. This year, 3/4 of my assignments were plate assignments and I only got base assignments because I requested to get some experience there. So, I suppose this could happen to me some day but just hasn't happened yet.

In softball, I get a few base assignments, but still, I receive far more plate assignments than I do base assignments.

Last edited by Mbilica; Thu Jun 15, 2017 at 12:16pm.
Old Fri Jun 16, 2017, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT 73 View Post
I was forced to learn that rule book as well.
Someone held a gun to your head to make you work those $100 varsity games?!
Old Fri Jun 16, 2017, 07:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tru_in_blu View Post
someone held a gun to your head to make you work those $100 varsity games?!
$114.38