The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 07, 2017, 08:03pm
Official Forum Member

I dont have the ability to do it, but would be interesting to see the 2 videos side by side and synced up so you can see exactly where the catcher was with the ball at what point the runner got knocked down.
Old Wed Jun 07, 2017, 11:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post
I dont have the ability to do it, but would be interesting to see the 2 videos side by side and synced up so you can see exactly where the catcher was with the ball at what point the runner got knocked down.
It's hard to do exactly, but by putting both videos in side by side browsers you can sync it up reasonably. At 8 seconds in the youtube video and 10 seconds in the photographers video, you can sync up the tags perfectly. If you then start both as quickly as possible you'll get a pretty good sense. When the runner knocks herself down on the obstructing 3B, the catcher already has the ball and is running toward the plate. From that approximation, it seems the runner should have been put back at 3rd.

(I've tried it a couple of other ways and I think the contact occurred slightly after the catcher got the ball from all of them.)
Old Thu Jun 08, 2017, 08:13am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngump View Post
It's hard to do exactly, but by putting both videos in side by side browsers you can sync it up reasonably. At 8 seconds in the youtube video and 10 seconds in the photographers video, you can sync up the tags perfectly. If you then start both as quickly as possible you'll get a pretty good sense. When the runner knocks herself down on the obstructing 3B, the catcher already has the ball and is running toward the plate. From that approximation, it seems the runner should have been put back at 3rd.

(I've tried it a couple of other ways and I think the contact occurred slightly after the catcher got the ball from all of them.)

I think 3BU also saw the runner having to alter her path before the contact, to try to avoid F5, that alone might have been a 3B award, but the combination of the two resulted in a HP award. Notice during the conference, HP is asking 2BU something, and he first sort of shakes his head, then nods in agreement. BretMan - PLEASE ask about this if you can...

Still think it was a good call
Old Thu Jun 08, 2017, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

The title of the first video is:

"Elyria wins state softball championship on obstruction call"

The complaint also applies to the NCAA Sol System Series () game headline...

Just once, I would like to see it stated like this:

"Elyria wins state softball championship when Lebanon commits obstruction."

The "call" did not win the game for Elyria, the act of obstruction by the Lebanon player did not prevent the winning run from scoring.
Old Thu Jun 08, 2017, 12:14pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngump View Post

That's how I would've judged it. I just cannot see how the runner would've beat the catcher to the plate if she hadn't been obstructed by F5. She was about halfway between second and third when the camera left the catcher as she was chasing the ball and panned back to third base in the second video.

I ran a stopwatch a few times in the first video from the moment the catcher leaped to try and catch the ball, and when she got back to the vicinity of home plate, and that took on average about 4.6 seconds. Then with the second video, I ran it at the same moment the catcher leaped, and then stopped it as the runner reached third base on her way home before she ran into F5, and that took on average about 3.2 seconds. Would she have reached home in an additional 1.4 seconds or so? I seriously doubt it.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Thu Jun 08, 2017, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

OMG.

Pitcher commits an illegal pitch.
Catcher obstructs R1.
Catcher has the ball before R2 reaches 3rd base.
Catcher almost obstructs R2 again.
[Added] At about 1:05 into the second video, the DHC ejects the entire crew!

[Added] Video here [flickr.com]

Last edited by Crabby_Bob; Thu Jun 08, 2017 at 05:56pm.
Old Thu Jun 08, 2017, 09:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post
https://vid.me/kuYZ
Old Fri Jun 09, 2017, 01:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabby_Bob View Post
[Added] Video here [flickr.com]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
This is some majestic level Internet wizardry. Thank you. While I am in no position to dispute the call, I'd still have put the runner at 3B. That said, well handled by the crew on the field...they made the call in their best judgment, and they owned it.
Old Fri Jun 09, 2017, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teebob21 View Post
This is some majestic level Internet wizardry. Thank you. While I am in no position to dispute the call, I'd still have put the runner at 3B. That said, well handled by the crew on the field...they made the call in their best judgment, and they owned it.
Thank you, although CB's looks better than mine!

With benefit of replay, I agree... I'd have also put her back at 3B... with benefit of replay! On the field in real time? I can support their call as a reasonable, justifiable call.

In an alternate universe without the obstruction, it is unlikely the runner would have even tried to score, it seems to me... F2 retrieved the ball and got back to cover the plate pretty quickly.
Old Fri Jun 09, 2017, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASA/NYSSOBLUE View Post
I think 3BU also saw the runner having to alter her path before the contact, to try to avoid F5, that alone might have been a 3B award, but the combination of the two resulted in a HP award. Notice during the conference, HP is asking 2BU something, and he first sort of shakes his head, then nods in agreement. BretMan - PLEASE ask about this if you can...

Still think it was a good call
We don't see it, but I wonder if U3 signaled the OBS right away, or just called time after he realized the runner isn't scoring.

IMO, placement at 3rd would have been correct, even without the advantage of replay.
Old Mon Jun 12, 2017, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
We don't see it, but I wonder if U3 signaled the OBS right away, or just called time after he realized the runner isn't scoring.

IMO, placement at 3rd would have been correct, even without the advantage of replay.
In the video from the first post, at 00:16, 3U is properly signalling DDB:
Old Wed Jun 14, 2017, 07:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umpteenth View Post
In the video from the first post, at 00:16, 3U is properly signalling DDB:
Thank you
Old Tue Aug 08, 2017, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

Here is a link to another video of the obstruction. There is no way I can justify the call of awarding home plate given that we know the location of the ball, the fielder with the ball, the runner and the obstruction on this play.

https://youtu.be/55o6ppkU9mE
Old Tue Aug 08, 2017, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post
Here is a link to another video of the obstruction. There is no way I can justify the call of awarding home plate given that we know the location of the ball, the fielder with the ball, the runner and the obstruction on this play.
I agree. At the time of the OBS, there was no way the runner would have reached home safely had the OBS not occurred
Old Tue Aug 08, 2017, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post
Here is a link to another video of the obstruction. There is no way I can justify the call of awarding home plate given that we know the location of the ball, the fielder with the ball, the runner and the obstruction on this play. ...
You are absolutely wrong...

(...for trying to debate the fans and other assorted flotsam on YouTube! ... That was you, right?)