View Single Post
Old Thu Jun 08, 2017, 12:14pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngump View Post
It's hard to do exactly, but by putting both videos in side by side browsers you can sync it up reasonably. At 8 seconds in the youtube video and 10 seconds in the photographers video, you can sync up the tags perfectly. If you then start both as quickly as possible you'll get a pretty good sense. When the runner knocks herself down on the obstructing 3B, the catcher already has the ball and is running toward the plate. From that approximation, it seems the runner should have been put back at 3rd.

(I've tried it a couple of other ways and I think the contact occurred slightly after the catcher got the ball from all of them.)
That's how I would've judged it. I just cannot see how the runner would've beat the catcher to the plate if she hadn't been obstructed by F5. She was about halfway between second and third when the camera left the catcher as she was chasing the ball and panned back to third base in the second video.

I ran a stopwatch a few times in the first video from the moment the catcher leaped to try and catch the ball, and when she got back to the vicinity of home plate, and that took on average about 4.6 seconds. Then with the second video, I ran it at the same moment the catcher leaped, and then stopped it as the runner reached third base on her way home before she ran into F5, and that took on average about 3.2 seconds. Would she have reached home in an additional 1.4 seconds or so? I seriously doubt it.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker